July 2019 – What Did You Do to Prep THis Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion July 2019 – What Did You Do to Prep THis Week/Month?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  IceFire 2 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

IceFire

Wow! No one has started the new month yet! Guess I’ll have to start.

Brought my yearling Dexter heifer home today. At first, I wasn’t sure how our 5-year-old cow would react (ESPECIALLY since heifer is polled, and the older one has horns and DEFINITELY knows how to use them!) I stayed in the pen with them shoveling manure so that I could keep an eye on them. After some initial chasing around, Belle (the older cow) started rubbing her head/chin all over Orla’s body (I think she was “scent-marking” her) and then started licking her. I think she’s adopted her.

Also made a run in to town. Got some .45 ammo for son-in-law (he’d given me money to pick it up for him), a salt/mineral block for the cattle and goats, and a new pair of boots (brand/type recommended by my podiatrist, as they have the type of footbed my feet need.) Then gassed up the car and ran it through the car wash (I need to scrape off the top layer of dirt every month or so) then added some money to my prepaid card (I use it for online orders, to limit my risk) then went to Home Despot. Found a Tangerine tree (the ONLY one they had!) as well as a nice, THORNY blackberry plant (ALSO the only one they had.)

After getting everything home and getting the plants into the greenhouse and getting them watered, then feeding animals, milking, and gathering eggs, took the truck back to the farm/ranch store to get a “bunk feeder” for the cows.

IceFire

Made a batch of mozzarella yesterday, and making Feta today

IceFire

Made chevre (a soft goat cheese) yesterday (ended up with a pound and a quarter) and making mozzarella (again) today.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum