June 2019 – What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion June 2019 – What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

IceFire

Starting off the new month. Took the car into the shop this morning for maintenance (oil change, tire rotation, etc.) After getting home, it was hose repair day. Fixed the irrigation tubing in the orchard that hubs accidentally cut with the FEL on the tractor. Repaired the drip tubing along the back bed in the garden (found a big hole…might have been chewed by a pocket gopher.) Now I can get water to that one area that wasn’t getting any, and get it replanted. Removed a soaker hose that had a hole and replaced it with a different one. Got everything in the greenhouse watered.

Ordered some plants that I can’t get locally (some will go in the greenhouse.) Ordered 2 elderberry plants; a set of 2 lingonberry (different varieties, for pollination) – those will get planted in with the gooseberries; a passionflower variety, and a coffee plant. There are a few more that I want to order, but need to wait until they become available.

Made arrangements to get some more female ducks. Will get them tomorrow afternoon.

IceFire

Picked up another 3 duck hens today. that gives us a 2:1 ratio of ducks to drakes, and more eggs once the new girls start laying.

Cin
    Participant

I made 12 pints of strawberry freezer jam.

Today is “wash the outdoor chair cushions and make new covers for them.” I made new covers a few years ago and they got left out in the rain by accident and mildewed. Can’t get the stains or the odors out, so I’m making new ones.

We had a load of gravel delivered and will spend the afternoon spreading gravel in the carport.

I made a new batch of sourdough – it’s in the fridge for future pizzas, loaves of bread and sourdough muffins for the next 2 weeks.

IceFire

Took 2 quarts of goat milk, and made a batch of yogurt. Put sweetened cut up strawberries in the bottom of the jars and then added the yogurt to them. Ended up with 12 1/2 pint jars of yogurt with strawberries.

IceFire

Pulled weeds in most of the garden beds (and a few in the paths, as well.)

Cin
    Participant

Got some flexible, waterproof laminate flooring to put in the laundry room. The original tiles are too slippery and because of it being the mud-room, too, rugs aren’t cutting it. I didn’t want to ruin the tiles, in case we ever have to go back to it, so we got non-adhesive, floating floor covering.

Picked on some water seal on sale to re-do the decks this year, it’s time.

Husband and I will be working hard to get everything done for the family reunion in July.

IceFire

Cin,

Tell me ore about that flooring. We’re planning on putting in a mud/utility room, and I’ll need to figure out what flooring to use.

Cin
    Participant

Smartcore Ultra premium engineered vinyl flooring at Lowe’s.

Vinyl Flooring

WE didn’t get that color, it comes in other colors, too.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Cin.

IceFire

Thanks for that link. That looks pretty much like what I’m looking for. DEFINITELY need pet-proof/waterproof out here!

IceFire

Repotted the banana plant and a few of the huckleberries that needed bigger pots. Also put straw mulch on more of the perimeter beds.

IceFire

Transplanted the Milo from the greenhouse out into one of the garden beds, and transplanted some marjoram out into another bed. Repotted the coffee, elderberry, lingonberry, and passionfruit plants into larger pots, and watered everything. Took a run into town to pick up some replacement parts for the soaker hose system…couldn’t get just the parts, so had to get a “kit” that also had 100 feet of the soaker hose. It will get used, so at least have it on hand now. Also replaced a t-way splitter that had split along one side…probably during one of our freezes. Also picked up several fly traps (including a few of the “Big Bag” ones) to hang out in the livestock and poultry areas, and a couple of the big reusable metal mousetraps for the feed room and chicken coop. Will still need to get a couple more – one for the duck house and one for the other coop.

Cin
    Participant

I’ve been gone a few days, we’ve been working to get ready for the family gathering.

We laid the flooring in two days (prep and actual installation). It was very easy to snap in and to cut. It looks great and best of all, it has a slight texture so it’s basically non-skid in addition to being waterproof and pet-friendly. Also, the floor now doesn’t look dirty all the time. Previous floor was slick white tile, this is a very authentic wood look of weathered pine. Gives a “beach” feel to the laundry/mud room.

I canned 47 pints and 2 quarts of applesauce, using up the apples we got for free. I also canned 46 pints of apple jelly but some if it didn’t set, so I’ll redo it.

2 days ago, we lost our beloved Golden Lab dog. He was our last dog, too. He had a series of strokes and passed peacefully. I’ve spent the last few days washing all his toys, bedding, leash, collar, and bowls. I will put them away for our next dogs. Husband and I have decided to wait a bit before getting more dogs (we prefer to always have 2). We’re both a little wobbly, heartbroken, too. While he’d been winding down, we were not expecting him to go so soon. 🙁

Today, Husband sealed the back deck. He bought a sprayer to make it a bit easier, but it was still a hard job in the blazing sun. But it’s done and drying, so one more chore down for the summer!

IceFire

So sorry about the loss of your “furbaby.” At least he went peacefully.

IceFire

The Tea, Hops, and Cardamom plants I had ordered arrived today (didn’t expect them until Monday.) Got them unboxed, unwrapped, and into the trays with water. After they’ve had time to acclimatize, I’ll repot them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum