killing livestock

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

musketjim

Been raising chickens and turkeys for awhile, can’t bring myself to put them in the freezer. Except for a punk rooster. Right now I have an old tom turkey who is about done I think. I’ll miss him, he’s a bit like my dogs. 🙁 He’s been following me around since he was a chick he bumps me when he wants to be petted then he wanders off for awhile and comes back. I’ve never had a problem shooting grouse ptarmigan pheasants etc. Doesn’t bother me in the least. I come by it honestly, my Mom said my Grandpa raised pigs, cows chickens etc. and had the same problem, had others do the slaughtering. I’m a bad farmer. 😉

IceFire

It’s not that you’re a bad farmer…it’s just that the killing does not come easily. Frankly, you should be more worried if it DID come easily.

Yes, I have slaughtered chickens and turkeys…it was not easy; however, I view it as a necessity. It’s something that HAS to be done, no matter how unpleasant, if you are going to eat. What helps me is that when I do the slaughtering, I do it with an attitude of thankfulness, and respect for the animal/fowl that is going to be feeding my family.

Most of us were NOT brought up raising our own meat, so we’ve always treated our animals more as pets. Raising animals for food instead of as pets is a BIG adjustment, and requires a different mindset. (Rule #1…DON’T name your food. Rule #2…if you break/ignore rule #1, at least name it something that reminds you what it’s purpose is [Meatloaf, Fricassee, Hasenpfeffer, etc.]) You need to always remember that animal is future FOOD, NOT a pet. It helps when you need to do what is necessary.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.