long term survival

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    kymber

@KS-shoe wrote:

I know something is going to happen but the question is what? How severe will it be?

If the worst case scenario took place and you had to forage for food ( and in my case that’s foraging for 6!) your in real trouble. I say this not only because it would be really difficult to do so but the infrastructure of this country would have to be in complete ruins if you’re living off the land in order to keep your family going. Not to mention there will be other folks living off the folks who can live off the land. Disease would be brutal as well.

I will say this and shut up, i think deep down, most of us want change, a change back to what made this country the power house it was and still could be. But we don’t know what this means. Is it a revolution with guns or is it a march on washington?

KS – i think we all feel the same way…none of us know what is coming we just all feel it. i am of 2 minds on the subject – on the one hand i pray for a peaceful, slow, comfortable change of societal ideals and norms – less spending and as my hubby is always preaching – buying only North American made products! however, with the situation in the US the way it is today – i am worried that the only way the change can come is revolution.

but – on a brighter note – look at how fast this forum has grown and in such a short amount of time – it means that there are some of us who are aware and who are prepping for whatever it is that’s coming.

kymber

@idahobob wrote:

@granny warrior wrote:

I have been a prepper long before it was popular I am afraid. I have always prepped just as a matter of living. At any given time we always have enough food and supplies for at least a year on hand. It has not always been easy but when you are raised as a child of a poor farmer you realize how important it is to the family to have enough food to go around no matter what happens.

I now live in Texas in a intentional community which is just starting and growing faster than we planned really, we have folks from all over the country coming to live here permanently, all with their supplies and stores of food. We will be farming and raising our own beef, pork, rabbits, chickens etc and hopefully being totally self sufficient within a year. if the whole country crashed right now though we would be able to survive in good fashion except for the power part. We have not gotten totally off the grid yet but are working on it and I would bet that if we lost power tonight one of the guys would have something going by morning to get us what little power we actually need.

I feel like everyone needs help in this, whether it is for security or safety or just company but we need each other. It is nice to sit with a cup of coffee and a good neighbor and discuss anything or everything. Good company will be as precious as food in our future.

Granny,

Good on ya!! What y’all are doin’ there is something I have been trying to preach for quite a while!!

Folks, if there is not an intentional type community, like the one granny describes here, where y’all are, start one. If nothing else, seek out like minded folks so you can start a MAG (mutual assistance group). When the excrement hits the revolving blade, we need to be standing together, supporting one another, watching each others backs. I do not believe that we can make it on our own, lone wolves get eradicated. I feel that time is getting short, but who knows how much time we really have?

Granny, thank you for your wonderful post, and I sincerely hope that you bless us more with your presence. Do not be a stranger.

Bob
    III

Granny – Bob already said it but thank you for excellent post! i think that one of the big differences between die-hard survivalists and preppers is that we preppers do care about others and don’t want to live by ourselves in a hole on top of a mountain! it is soooo important for the soul to have good company around in good times and even more important in bad times! And Granny – thanks for being here! and thanks for sharing. in these times we need more people like you to share their experience!

Bob – you hit it on the head yet again! starting up or joining a MAG now – today – is an incredibly important part of “prepping” for the future!

kymber

@Uvajed wrote:

@k-mcfar4 wrote:

My concerns are more on a long-term basis. I am prepared in every fashion to provide for and protect my family for 60 days or so. After that it is hard to foresee the needs. I am prepared to leave the city and have located a remote, albeit humble, living quarters. However, in my Wyoming climate, remote can sometimes be deadly. Since I am convinced we will see the end of our society as we know it, should I be considering a relocation to a more moderate climate?

Don’t discount your ability to survive in Wyoming. I personally believe, surviving a severe climate will be beneficial compared to the southern climes. Every novice will go south, the determined will go north. And like others said, network with like minded people you can TRUST!

Uvajed – i think that you are right! the determined will head north. and up here in the “true north, strong and free” we welcome all determined preppers! Canada’s population is soooo small in comparison to the US – and we only have a few cities of any real size. once you get away from those – there is land for as far as the the crow can fly. plenty for everyone. in the event of SHTF – come north prepping brothers and sisters!

IceFire

I like the fact that population density is low, and plenty of rural area, but some of us REALLY hate the cold! I’m having a hard enough time with it here in PA (Will somebody PLEASE bend my dog tags and send me back to Texas! PLEASE?) And Sister, up where you are is plenty cold!

kymber

teehee…IceFire….the Canadian-Niagara region and BC is a little less cold as is anywhere on the US-Canada border…yer gonna have to head north sister! or battle the drug cartels on the Mexican-US border! oh and i hear ya about Texas…i have a couple of friends with a couple of friends who are now working on giving Canadians free passes to Texas…i’ll put a good word in for ya k? bahahahahaha!

now git outside and start practicing building igloos – if yer gonna head north ya need to know how to build an igloo!!!

sbsion

@k-mcfar4 wrote:

My concerns are more on a long-term basis. I am prepared in every fashion to provide for and protect my family for 60 days or so. After that it is hard to foresee the needs. I am prepared to leave the city and have located a remote, albeit humble, living quarters. However, in my Wyoming climate, remote can sometimes be deadly. Since I am convinced we will see the end of our society as we know it, should I be considering a relocation to a more moderate climate?

Seven years ago, knowing what’scoming, we left “the city” and moved to a survival location. We have built a refuge to keep us alive for decades to come, with or without “outsiders”. We have greenhouses, wells, seed, acreage to support, as well as clothing and housing to keep us protected, this in the Rockies..yup, a bit cold in the winter now…………..but, who knows

IceFire

@kymber wrote:

…now git outside and start practicing building igloos – if yer gonna head north ya need to know how to build an igloo!!!

Does being able to build snow caves count? Learned how to do that YEARS ago!

Uvajed

@IceFire wrote:

Does being able to build snow caves count? Learned how to do that YEARS ago!

Didn’t we all do that as kids? Keep a candle and matches handy……

Nickie

@kymber and wingnut— I am a bit leery of canning too– I really don’t want to give myself botulism, lol. My bf’s mom has been teaching me how, but it’s still not something I’m completely comfortable with. I’ll have to look into drying– it sounds more my speed.

Wow, so many dedicated northeners here!!! I’m in sunny Florida, which will admittedly be a hell hole if the SHTF, but until then I think I’ll enjoy being down here! I’ve been trying to learn more about cold weather survival (hypothermia prevention, building temp shelters, etc)– I’m pretty confident about my knowledge of the flora/fauna in the southeast, but if I headed up north I’m sure I’d be in for a nasty surprise. Anyone know of any good books/sites dedicated to this topic?

VenaSera

Having lived in texas all my life, I’d rather take 110 degree weather head on than deal with anything less than 10 degrees.

I live just inside the edge of my city, with no large cities for a good distance in every direction other than south. Dallas is to the south. I’m pretty confident that with my location, along with the size of my family, that we would be staying put unless we had absolutely no choice.

I have no long term provisions setup yet. This year I plan to change that, as I’ll have a few thousand dollars to spare.

We have enough land to feed our family with crops such as corn, tomatoes, and peppers. That being said, I don’t believe we’d be able to raise crops and keep them from being stolen over the months they have to grow, unless we just cut off access to the nearby road (which would be possible). For that reason I plan to stock up on cheap canned foods for about a two month supply for 8 people. I can’t see having any more of a supply due to the fact that it becomes a huge storage, organization and financial burden. Water is no issue, as we have a well, 5500 gallon swimming pool, and live 4 minutes from a lake.

I would invest in a generator, but I don’t feel like it would be well spent money, considering it will be useless without a large stockpile of fuel.

In my case I believe the biggest issue will be defense. Having neighbors that I’ve known for many years is a huge asset. I’d rather starve to death than find myself unprepared to defend my family. For this reason, I plan to keep purchasing several more firearms, as well as several thousand rounds of ammunition.

Another big factor in home defense is wherever there are riots and looting, there will be people starting fires left and right, burning buildings, homes, etc. You won’t be able to call a fire department, so multiple fire extinguishers everywhere you can stash one would be a good idea. The biggest defense against this is awareness.

Another idea I’ve thrown around is having a small stock of construction supplies such as sheet metal, plywood, razor wire, t-posts, and other things you can use to cover windows and keep people out.

I’d also like to get a 40 gallon supply of gasoline and use/replace it regularly so that it doesn’t get old. If you do need to leave somewhere because of a disaster, you don’t want to have to try to fill up a gas station.

Being smack dab in the middle of the country I have the best of both worlds in terms of climate and seasons. Lush vegetation during warms month, plenty of wild game, fish, rivers, springs, ponds, lakes, and we here in Missouri have tons of rural areas here as well and priced very competitively. Its not blue pine, ponderosa pine, big horn sheep country but offers many resources for the outdoorsmen/prepper type for long term survival prospects. We also have an extensive cave system here. As long as you can avoid walking into hillbilly hollow and finding yourself in a reeactment of the movie Deliverence, its ideal for a prepper. Last thing I will say “you sure do got a purty mouth” hehe

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum