Make your own cheese press

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  kymber 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mmpaints

This is a post I did for my blog,selfsustainedliving.blogspot.com

I thought you all might like to see something I made. Yep, it’s a cheese press and it cost a whole bunch less than one you can buy. There’s one thing I added that doesn’t show in the pictures, I added a washer and nut to each threaded rod on top of the pressing board. I had no problems keeping the board level at low weights, but when I added the 50lbs for the final press, the cheese would randomly shift and throw the bricks off. So, I used the washers and nuts on top of the board to help keep level while it’s pressing and keep the pressure on the cheese uniform. I also learned that the cheese will squeeze out the bottom on the cylinder if it isn’t wrapped in cheese cloth. Since cheese cloth is so expensive, I’m using unbleached light weight Muslin from the fabric store to drain and wrap my curds in.

I got the parts from the local DIY place and just drilled my holes. I used 4″ pipe for the cheese mold, 3″ for the presser pipe, cut a slightly smaller than 4″ wood circle I cut with a jig saw to press with and the wood is 12″x12″x 1″ thick untreated pine.

So, here we go, a low cost cheese press so we can all make cheese! Now all you need is some starter culture and some rennet…

kymber

when i showed your post to my hubby jambaloney way back when you first posted it – he copied it and put it in his trusty save file which he backs up every day! he said that when we get to cape breton – he is building one from your specs! he loves it MM! thanks for sharing again!

mmpaints

Your welcome. it’s a simple build and it works. I’ll be improving on the design this spring so if you guys don’t get to build this one, perhaps you can do the new one instead. Yer gonna have to find some fresh milk then too! LOL

kymber

oh MM – we will need to know your new design as well! as for fresh milk – we won’t have a milking cow until we move to the homestead full-time (1-2 years) but how awesome is this? our homestead is in a small fishing/farming village on the atlantic ocean with a population of almost 150 – the people who live there have families that have been living there for over 200 years. we are moving into a “prepping” community and that is one of the reasons that we chose the location. we have 10 acres about 20 minutes from the village. it’s gorgeous!

anyway – i love talking about our land!!! but back to the fresh milk – pretty much everyone in the village has a milking cow and everyone always has an excess of milk. so when we are down next august for the month getting the place fixed up, building raised beds, meeting everyone in the community, etc. – we’ll have access to tons of fresh milk (i can’t wait!!!). we probably won’t be making any cheese then but we will the following year – i hope that we can be there full-time soon. i am getting so itchy!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Homesteading, Farming and Gardening’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.