Making Cheese

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mmpaints 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mmpaints

I make fresh from the cow cheese. I like it because I can control the amount of salt that goes into it and I know for sure there are no chemicals or hormones in the milk.

I start with 2 gallons of whole milk and heat it to 86 degrees. Then I add 1/2 tsp of mesophilic starter culture and let the milk ripen for 1 hour.

Check the milk for temp, make sure milk is 86 degrees and add a 1/2 tsp of rennet, stirring with an up and down motion for 3 minutes, if you have fresh milk with the cream on, top stir with your ladle for an extra minute. Allow to set for 30 minutes.

Cut your curds 3/8″ and stir gently to separate, and slowly heat curds to 102 degrees. 2 degrees every 5 minutes is good.
    stir gently to keep curds from sticking together. Hold curds at 102 for 30 minutes.

Drain whey off to level with the curds and add cold water until curds reach 80 degrees. Hold at 80 for 15 minutes.

Drain curds, break pieces up into walnut sized pieces, place in a bowl and add 2 tblsp of cheese salt or sea salt. Do not use table salt. Stir the salt in, making sure it is mixed well. Place curds in a cheese press and press for 1 hour at 10lbs. Remove curds, turn them over and return to cheese press at 20lbs for 1 hour. Remove from press, turn over and return to press at 50lbs for 12 hours.

Remove cheese and allow to dry on a board until dry to touch. Place in ziploc bag in the fridge. You can eat this cheese right away, it has a rubbery kind of texture to the curd but the flavor and texture is much improved after a day or so in the fridge. It smooths out and is just heavenly.

Phelan

Do you not make your own rennet?

There are two ways going about it. 1 is emotionally troublesome, but the other is simple.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

mmpaints

I don’t have access to calves at the moment and I haven’t even tried to search out vege rennet directions. I buy freeze dried rennet in bulk, it stores well.

Phelan

oh that’s right you don’t have a cow. If you can get raw cows milk, you use that as your starter. And the animal rennet is made with goat, or at least that’s what I use.

mmpaints

calves stomach is what I’m using.

edea1976

To anyone who wants to try making cheese, check ebay for books, equipment and supplies.

mmpaints

edea, do you make cheese too?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Homesteading, Farming and Gardening’ is closed to new topics and replies.