MAY 2018 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion MAY 2018 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

This topic contains 65 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Cin
    Participant

Taking orders and making an assortment of small sewing projects for other people. I’m still bemused that this has taken off. I was taught hand-sewing and machine sewing at an early age, and it boggles my mind that people are paying me to make a simple apron that I really thought anyone could make! Or maybe they just don’t have time…either way, I am enjoying sewing and getting paid for it!

We had the gutters put on today on the new room we added on. Husband had cobbled together some from scrap, but they weren’t draining as well as we wanted them to. I really don’t want him on the roof doing stuff like this since his stroke, so we hired a professional to come in and do it right. It’s raining right now and appears to be handling the water flow just fine. 🙂

We will be doing some maintenance around the property for the next few months – things that we always take care of in summer, to ease into winter and to prevent problems further down the road. I keep a maintenance record on what we do to the property, just in case we need to refer back, or in the unlikely event we would have to sell.

My back deck potted garden plants have recovered from the transplantings and are doing well. Between my watering and the rain, all of the veggies and fruits are growing fast. I’ve already eaten the lone strawberry that ripened this morning. 🙂

I am back doing CICO (calories in, calories out) to continue getting back down to the weight I should be. I lost over 30 pounds already. I had stopped really counting for a while, just was careful how I ate and maintained the same weight for the last two months. But I really need to lose this last 20 pounds, so I’m concentrating on that. We walk 2 miles daily with the dogs, so I’m getting exercise. I kicked back to 1200 calories a day, and it seems to be working well, already dropped 4 pounds in the last 2 weeks.

IceFire

Made a 200+ mile round-trip to the ONLY pistachio nursery in the freaking state to get 2 pistachio trees–1 male, 1 female. Since I was already in the area, hit Sam’s and Costco (TP, bacon, hearing aid batteries for hubby, chorizo, butter, etc.) before filling the gas tan (Gas there is 10 cents per gallon LESS than it is here) and heading home.

Got the new pistachio trees planted once I got home and put the stuff that needed refrigeration/freezer put away.

dmwalsh568
    Participant

Beside the usual topping up of used items, I got in a shipment of beans and lentils. 25 pounds each of: red beans, black beans, garbanzo beans, french lentils and red lentils. This weekend will be bagging them up for LTS – 1 gallon ziplock style mylar bags then put in 5 gallon buckets. Went with a new vendor and wanted to see their quality before going overboard on ordering. 😛

Illini Warrior
    Participant

what was reason/decision for spending the extra $$$$ for the zip lock feature – especially for the gallon size bags – I can halfway see having the re-seal feature on the 5/6 gallon size bags – you’ll have many many servings after cracking open the bucket and cutting the permanent bag seal ….

I have a good supply of paperwork binder clips (maintain a bag flap foldover) and a color assortment of the Gamma lids – plan on setting up a bucket food pantry for the long term storage items – protect the food from post-SHTF contaminations & pest problems …

I tried something different on storing beans and rice for long term…

I put the beans in the oven on 150 degs for 1 1/2 hrs and then storing them in food grade buckets.
    Keep you fingers crossed

dmwalsh568
    Participant

Illni Warrior, I went with the ziplock top 1 gallon bags because I’m prepping for two people. I thought it was worth the effort now to bag up smaller portions so I don’t have to have too much food exposed to the elements at once. I get the protection of the mylar bag until I open it up, then the food that’s not used immediately is kind of protected by the ziplock style top. I can close that quicker than using a chip clip and putting it back in the gamma lid topped bucket. Sure, I plan on putting the closed bag into the gamma bucket, but since the weather is so variable around here I want to be able to seal things up quickly in rainy or high humidity situations to give my food the best shelf life.
    As an example, most of my rice is stored in those 1 gallon zipper bags. There are 16 cups (give or take) of rice in each bag. Normal serving size is 1/2 cup, so each meal I will use 1 cup of rice and the 1 gallon bag has to keep the rice safe for a bit over a week if I’m just using it for lunch and dinner. If using it for breakfast as well, then it’s just over 5 days. Since the incremental cost was 6 cents per bag, I consider that cheap insurance… (the vendor I use for bags, charges $44 for 100 heavy duty gallon bags and $50 for 100 heavy duty zipper top gallon bags – not a huge expense considering how much food that lets me protect.)

IceFire

Chore Monkey and I added a stretch of rabbit wire to the back left corner and side of the back side of the garden this afternoon…darned rabbits were STILL getting in! Had chased 3 out yesterday evening, and daughter chased 4 out this morning (GGGgrrrr) Now the ONLY spot where they might get through is where the fence adjoins daughter’s “dog yard”. IF her dogs do their job, the bunnies won’t get through. If they DON’T do their job, then Chore Monkey and I will be adding rabbit wire on her side of the fence. We might just do it anyway.

Well, finally got power back after 2 days from the bad storms, weathered it just fine with the 3 battery banks, did run the generator a couple of times for the 2 freezers.

Rotated 25 gallon of gas and refilled containers. Sunny today, so cooking a venison stew in the sun oven, should be done in about an hour. Cut the grass and raked it.

About a dozen trees down in the upper field from the high (very high) winds, going up tonight with the son in law to start cuting them up for fire wood.

Illini Warrior
    Participant

“I tried something different on storing beans and rice for long term…

I put the beans in the oven on 150 degs for 1 1/2 hrs and then storing them in food grade buckets.
    Keep you fingers crossed”

Why? – that heat just helps degrade the food viability ….

IceFire

Cut the 3 4x4s that I had for the 3-bin composter and got them in place. Also got the 2 cinderblocks that I had for the supports for the fish tank for the aquaponics system in place. Went to get the additional 4 that I need, plus the other wood (2x4s and 1x2s) to finish it, plus the 2 additional cinderblocks for the support for the aquaponics tank. Also got a dwarf Eureka lemon tree, a dwarf Washington Navel orange, and a dwarf Rio Red grapefruit tree.

TRex2
    Participant

“I tried something different on storing beans and rice for long term…

What gave you the idea to put them in the oven, why 150degrees, and how did you monitor the temp?

Long term storage Video’s on You Tube. I set the oven on 150 degs and put them in a enameled pan for a hr. My hope was to kill any bug eggs that always seem to hatch when in storage.

Don’t know if it will work but I thought it was worth a shot also tried it on Oats.

My wife and I are always on the look out for different ways to store things we always try and buy things in bulk

My idea on the heat was to try and kill all bug eggs my wife kinda freaked out when we opened the oats and a couple of bugs flew out.. I haven’t tried it on pasta yet

Farmer, you can do the same thing (kill bugs) by freezing beans, rice, etc., for several days, also if you put in 02 packets in your maylar bags or jars the bugs die off sooner or later.

Either way, you get free protien with your beans and rice.

TRex2
    Participant

A little confused:

My idea on the heat was to try and kill all bug eggs my wife kinda freaked out when we opened the oats and a couple of bugs flew out.. I haven’t tried it on pasta yet

Are you saying you did this because a couple bugs flew out? or that a couple of them survived even though you did it? (At 150, there are bugs that can, in theory, survive, which is why I asked: why 150?)

also if you put in 02 packets in your maylar bags or jars the bugs die off sooner or later.

If you use O2 absorbers, make sure you don’t have any moisture (you may know this, but others may not) removing all the Oxygen, but not all the moisture,gives rise to botulism.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  TRex2.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.