Mushrooms

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kymber 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

kymber

i soooo want to grow my own mushrooms as we are mushroom fiends…i want to grow them and freeze them and dry them…but i am scared because i have never grown them and don’t know any good resources on growing them…

are any of you growing your own mushrooms? do you have any tips or tricks?

thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience…i sooo appreciate your taking the time to teach me and i promise to reward you with success from your student if you bother to share….

please…i work and understand so much better from a hands-on approach… and i don’t mind failing a few times in order to get it right!

mmpaints

I;ve got natural wild morels here and I’ve tried the purchased mushroom logs before. They work pretty good.

kymber

thanks MM – i actually want to try growing them in buckets in the basement. i have been doing some research but i would love to know if anyone else has ever done this and what techniques they have used!

D_Loki
    Participant

A “Prepper’s Librarian” Post

There ya go kymber……asking for stuff again. You going to let me have time for myslef to post what I want? huh huh huh j/k.

D_Loki

http://hotfile.com/dl/22934014/adba9e6/Mushrooms_-_Tabletop_Mushroom_Cultivation.pdf.html

http://hotfile.com/dl/22934280/075f3e4/Mushrooms.pdf.html

Here is who I buy my wine caps from..

http://www.fieldforest.net/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=3&chapter=0” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

they have several varieties you can grow indoors.
    I grow my wine caps out doors and will be ordering moire spoor this spring.
    I have a big hard wood chip pile dropped off and seed that with the wine cap spoor. in two years you have nice mulch and a ton of wine caps.
    I then take the mulch and use it around my shrubs and trees and now have teh wine caps established around the yard.
    I chose wine caps because no other mushroom looks like them.

Wine Cap Stropharia Mushroom
    Scientific name: Stopharia rugosa-annulata. Wine Caps are some of the easiest mushrooms to grow and they are really beautiful. The mushroom features a robust white stalk with a port wine colored cap. These are crisp, slightly nut flavored mushrooms that are great for cooking and grilling. Wine Caps are perfectly suited for outdoor cultivation but their unpredictable fruiting habits make commercial production a real challenge. They grow best on woody hardwood substrates (chips or dust) but can also be grown successfully on straw and White Cedar bark mulch.

Cultivation: Planting can be done any time but plant in the spring for crops the same year in the fall. Soft hardwood chips are best, though any hardwood chips work well. The chips should be relatively fresh, and not more than a year or two old. A mix of chip types found at local municipalities usually work very well. Mix the spawn into three parts wood chips and one part garden soil. Spread the mixture 2-3” deep in shaded beds or around fruit trees, etc. Spread a light mulch of straw over sunny areas so the spawn won’t dry out during the first several weeks of establishment. Keep the beds watered to keep the chips moist but not saturated. Regular garden-style watering is usually enough. In a few weeks you should detect the strong white mycelium growing out through the wood chips. Fruiting occurs late summer through fall, then again the following year around Memorial Day. Add fresh chips to the bed after the spring fruiting to keep it fresh and create new beds periodically by transferring shovels full of inoculated chips from the established old bed to new locations. If you have a gardener’s eye you’ll soon see potential Wine Cap beds everywhere you look!
    Cultivation on straw: Straw is often easier to find than wood chips. Ask at a local feed mill or garden center. Wheat straw is best though oat straw will work well also. Avoid using hay, it’s usually too rich and composts too quickly.Moistened straw (really moist, use a 3 day soak) is mixed with layers of spawn, then placed in shady outdoor bed that will remain partly or fully shaded at harvest time. Mulch in the straw with chips (any landscaping chip such as redwood, pine, cypress, etc will work) and when the mushrooms are done fruiting, you’ll have a nice garden path! This can also be done in between corn or asparagus rows, under trees or along the raspberry patch, etc.

kymber

Loki…i’m just tryin ta keep you on your toes and keep you out of trouble!!!

cityhomesteader – thanks for all the info! i think i am going to bite the bullet this spring and try mushrooms – woohoo – now i am excited!

mmpaints

I’ve found that grow your own kits are only worth while if you’re going to grow some of the exotic mushrooms instead of ones that are easily available such as buttons etc as the cost of the kit and the time etc end up costing more than if you just bought them.

It’s a really cool project tho, I found it quite interesitng, just a bit expensive.

kymber

MM – i really don’t want to do anything too fancy – we are mushroom fiends of the button kind! i hope to be able to do some more research, get some spores and then start growing this spring! no worries folks – i will document every single thing that i do WRONG!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.