"Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water General Food Topics "Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

This topic contains 128 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  sbsion 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author

sbsion

Do we need money? car full of gas? wood chopped? RUReady?
    Sprouting seeds……….make sure ANY see you store, ie wheat, beans, garden seeds………are sproutable, or, stored to be sproutable…you can live off sprouted seeds alone…………what’s your opinion?
    Mental stability is probably THE most important ingrediant IF we are doing it to be happy? With it, we can contrive ways to occupy time, eat, sleep and……………….?
    OK…….SALT……..we need it for inexpensive medical, preserving food, making food palletable, and……………..?

Carriebelle

Do you suggest trying a sample of each seed to see it it’s sproutable, such as placing a seed between two damp paper towels? Once you do this, how do you prevent the seeds from sprouting until you want them to? I would think keeping the seed perfectly dry would be good. How do you store your seeds?

IceFire

You can keep your stored seeds from sprouting by making sure they stay dry. I store my seeds in their packages, then put the seed packages in ziploc-type bags to make sure they stay dry. Make sure that they are dry as a mummy’s butt before sealing them up, though, or they could mold on you.

Carriebelle

A mummy’s butt, huh? I know you aren’t commenting on my age, but… 🙂 What would we do without Ziplock bags?

edea1976

Does anyone have any tips on using dehydrated veggies? I tried using some of the mixed vegetables I had dehydrated but they never completely softened up. Am I being too impatient?

pokey

where do you buy seeds for sprouting? I’m new to the forum and the site..veryyyyy interesting..thanks~!

autumnwear

Edea, i have been having the same prob. i didnt see your post before so i started a thread on it. hopefully will hear some tips from someone soon.

IceFire

@edea1976 wrote:

Does anyone have any tips on using dehydrated veggies? I tried using some of the mixed vegetables I had dehydrated but they never completely softened up. Am I being too impatient?

I like using dehydrated veggies in soups and stews. Since those cook a long time anyway, the veggies have plenty of time to rehydrate.

Kailyst

I get my sprouts from these people. http://www.sproutpeople.com” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false They have a lot of different sprouts and accessories and a lot of good information.

Hope this helps.

Kailyst

kymber

we have done sprouts for about a year now – if you live in a northern clime and are homesteading it is essential to keep up your vitamin c levels and not have to rely on store-bought vitamins for all of your vitamin C – sprouts are chocked-full of a variety of nutrients and very easy to grow.

here is a post that i did on sprouting for anyone interested:

http://novascotiapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/03/sprouts-great-way-to-feed-your-family.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

the above article also contains links on how to grow sprouts in mason jars!

enjoy!

mmpaints

LOL, sprouting seeds, okay. You do know that by simply sprouting any seed and eating the result before it goes to “seed”, you are in essence, elliminating seeds stock and reducing the amount of available seed.

I know for some people, it’s a nice little snack but for me, I’m not a goat. I don’t eat grass seedlings 😉

Vina8

@kymber wrote:

http ://novascotiapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/03/sprouts-great-way-to-feed-your-family.html

enjoy!

I went to your post on sprouts and enjoyed it very much. Your description of your mister was LOL funny. We have been growing and eating sprouts for a few weeks–love them and easy to grow. One of our favorites are the radish sprouts for their intense flavor that will wake up any salad or sandwich. We’re trying the wheat grass, but I am feeling a little like mmpaints on that one. After my husband gave me some to try, I questioned our ability to digest them (don’t grass-eating animals have 2 or 3 stomachs). My husband explained that the grass itself won’t digest, but the nutrients are in the “juice” so you can just chew it like gum then spit out the “cud.” Not likely. Maybe that is why wheat grass is a staple for juicers.

mmpaints

LOL, there ya go. Anyway, I find it hard to eat something that won’t put back into my seed stock. Think about all the seed you’ll go thru with no way to replace it all. Nah, I’ll pass on the eating grass thing. I’d rather eat the radish than a radish seedling.

kymber

MountainMama – thanks so much for that! and my description of my mister is bang on – he’s a nutjub but oh i love him!

as for sprouts – i eat the radish sprouts by themselves by the handfull – i love them too! i pretty much haven’t eaten a sprouted seed that i didn’t love! they are so delicious and healthy!

MM – for some of us northerners who can’t grow the actual radishes or any other seeds during the winter on our window sills (becuz our window sills are growing herbs!) – sprouts are a really good way to still be able to get nutrients from fresh, alive food – you can’t live on deyhdrated or frozen food alone! sprouts are an excellent way to get those additional and needed nutrients!!!

as for wheat grass…it also contains many nutrients and it is cheap and stores for a long time. wheat grass juice is incredibly good for our bodies! apparently 15 pounds of wheatgrass juice has the equivalent nutritional value of 350 pounds of ordinary root vegetables – that’s a nutritional value ratio of 1:23!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatgrass” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

as well…it is the only thing in the world that has a molecular makeup that is structurally similar to our hemoglobin – cool huh?

i stand firm behind my advice to eat sprouts and sprout juice!

idahobob

@kymber wrote:

we have done sprouts for about a year now – if you live in a northern clime and are homesteading it is essential to keep up your vitamin c levels and not have to rely on store-bought vitamins for all of your vitamin C – sprouts are chocked-full of a variety of nutrients and very easy to grow.

http://novascotiapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/03/sprouts-great-way-to-feed-your-family.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

enjoy!

Kymber, I read yer post on sprouting…..good un!!

I’ve been sprouting seeds for many years, off and on. LOL!! 😆

This last year (was it that long ago?) we decided to get serious about it…..ya know, healthy food, enzymes, plus the doggone sprouts just plain taste good. And please do not get me wrong, I am NOT a vegan! I LIKE my animal protein, in fact there is a 1lb package of Elk Burger thawing in the kitchen, right now, for lunch. 😛

We do a lot of our food shopping, both long and short term, through a local co-op, that makes purchases through here:

http://www.azurestandard.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

If you live in the western part of the US, there is a good possibility that you may be on a delivery route. They are once a month. Aaahhh, I’m digressing.

We purchased a sprouting kit and several different kinds of seeds through them. Another pitch…..All of their products are organic and non GMO.

Great stuff, and we are sprouting regularly. Another way to have healthy food to eat.

Bob
    III

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.