"Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water General Food Topics "Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

This topic contains 128 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  sbsion 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 129 total)
  • Author

kymber

Bob – yer dead right on buddy….oh and did you say Elk burger? arghghghghg! i love me some wild meats!!!!
    thanks for sharing the link and your experience!

Phelan

only time we eat spouts is when we need to thin out seedlings. Then we make a big ta-do about it.

kymber

bahahahaha – too funny Phel but i am coming to expect nothing less from you!

sbsion

@mmpaints wrote:

LOL, there ya go. Anyway, I find it hard to eat something that won’t put back into my seed stock. Think about all the seed you’ll go thru with no way to replace it all. Nah, I’ll pass on the eating grass thing. I’d rather eat the radish than a radish seedling.

agreed, BUt, in survival situations, sometimes we don’t have time to grow “our crops”, what we need is balanced nutrition as much as possible, by eating seed sprouts(grass,etc), we enhance the nutritional intake…even when “hiking” to, maybe a new survival locations, a pocket full of seeds WET, will give us more energy, and the beat goes on

kymber

yer dead right on there Sbsion….and sprouted seeds weigh almost nothing. would hate to be humping it out of a SHTF scenario with 140 lbs of radishes on my back – bahahahaha!

sbsion

@kymber wrote:

yer dead right on there Sbsion….and sprouted seeds weigh almost nothing. would hate to be humping it out of a SHTF scenario with 140 lbs of radishes on my back – bahahahaha!

thing is, the sprouts have more nutrients than the “fruit”, they are complete in reproducing themselves, hence………well, you get the picture,

CoM

Think of dehydrated veggies like dried beans…they take a long time to cook ( rehydrate ) that’s why they are good in soups.

sbsion

@com wrote:

Think of dehydrated veggies like dried beans…they take a long time to cook ( rehydrate ) that’s why they are good in soups.

BUT, dried beans, when soaked over nite multiply the nutrition MANY fold, THEN, they are also easier to cook…….MUCH MORE better to store, if we stored nothing but what we could sprout, we could live a healthier and longer life, UNLESS………………………………………. 💡

Hansel1

@kymber wrote:

we have done sprouts for about a year now – if you live in a northern clime and are homesteading it is essential to keep up your vitamin c levels and not have to rely on store-bought vitamins for all of your vitamin C – sprouts are chocked-full of a variety of nutrients and very easy to grow.

here is a post that i did on sprouting for anyone interested:

http://novascotiapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/03/sprouts-great-way-to-feed-your-family.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

the above article also contains links on how to grow sprouts in mason jars!

enjoy!

A much better way to get your vitamine C intake and other nutrition is to make Sauerkraut. It stores for several years in a cool and dark location and will be high in Vitamine C. It can be eaten “raw” or cooked and is one of those dishes that will prevent scurby, it is also high in dietary fiber.
    I know there are many people who can not stand it but if it is too sour for you rinse it and cook it with a piece of apple and a spoon of sugar and you will be surprised. Do not trow away the brime, it can be used to season other meals, it has a high salt content and if you have a solar cooker or located in warmer zone with lots of sunshine you can reclaim a lot of the salt by evaporation of the fluid.

That said. SALT is one of the items….more then sugar or any other spices that is ABSOLUTE essential to survial, you can NOT survive without salt all your water, sprouts and other food will not help you in the long term if you don’t have salt. Salt is used in most modern processes so the average person gets enough salt intake from canned vegtables, bread butter you name it. In a scenario where you really have to bug out for years this “”hidden”” suplementation will fall away and you will have to find ways to replenish it. Do not drow out the juices from canned vegetables, use it to supplement your cooking and keep your salt stored for the time when you ran out of pre-processed foods. Don’t forget, that although it is prudent to have iodised (sp) salt it is not usable for long storage or to prepare foods that you want to store. Get pure salt or pickling salt .

John

kymber

John…thanks for this…but being as my mother’s family came from Poland and the Ukraine – you can be sure that sauerkraut…and especially the home-made variety is also included in our preps. but to all others – sauerkraut…and especially the home-made kind (and it is super easy to make) is also high in vitamin C…but it doesn’t have the healthy green look that the sprouts have – just my opinion – but i recommend having both available year round!

as for salt….salt is a MUST have! and John – you give excellent advice on not throwing out the juices of things here. as for iodized salt…we haven’t used it in years and will not ever again! there is absolutely no reason to put iodine in salt – bleck!

sbsion

@kymber wrote:

as for salt….salt is a MUST have! and John – you give excellent advice on not throwing out the juices of things here. as for iodized salt…we haven’t used it in years and will not ever again! there is absolutely no reason to put iodine in salt – bleck!

Salt is cheap, we should store all types, granular, rock, even mineralized types……….good for treating foods and extending life…….good idea..thanks

IceFire

@kymber wrote:

John…thanks for this…but being as my mother’s family came from Poland and the Ukraine – you can be sure that sauerkraut…and especially the home-made variety is also included in our preps. but to all others – sauerkraut…and especially the home-made kind (and it is super easy to make) is also high in vitamin C…but it doesn’t have the healthy green look that the sprouts have – just my opinion – but i recommend having both available year round!

I’ll have to pass on the sauerkraut…allergic to cabbage (can’t even handle it without breaking out into hives, so you can imagine what it does to my insides…it’s NOT pretty!)

Another food that is VERY high in vitamin C, though, is peppers! Peppers such as jalapenos are litterally PACKED with vitamin C…one pepper has twice as much as in an orange. Even the sweeter peppers are good sources of vitamin C.

As for salt, that is an absolute must…I store all kinds…”canning and pickling” salt (pure salt, with no additives), Kosher salt (I use this a lot for my bread recipes), sea salt (is a natural source of iodine), and some iodized salt, although I don’t use that very much.

sbsion

sauerkraut is an excellent source of ALKALINE food, which fights bacteria……great stuff, however, I am prone to the peppers, we raise Anaheims, Jalapenoes, seranoes, chyenne, bells of all colors, etc. and I practically live on my own HOT SALSA…………..yeah

birdgirl1

the info on sprouts is of interest to me. I stopped buying sprouts a couple years ago after a (I think it was)salmonella scare.
    Whatever, it was something very bad for the human body! Is this a concern with any sprouts, or was this a malfunction of our modern food transport system? I want to begin to dehydrate and perhaps grow sprouts, but want to do so wisely and safely.
    Thanks for any info you can provide!
    birdgirl+1

IceFire

sbsion,

My husband is from New Mexico, so peppers are a MUST in our house! His mother’s cure for the common cold was to feed them jalapenos, and as far as she was concerned (and stated many times) “If they’re not hot enough to make tears run down your face, they aren’t any good.”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum