"Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water General Food Topics "Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

This topic contains 128 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  sbsion 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 129 total)
  • Author

sbsion

@icefire wrote:

sbsion,
    My husband is from New Mexico, so peppers are a MUST in our house! His mother’s cure for the common cold was to feed them jalapenos, and as far as she was concerned (and stated many times) “If they’re not hot enough to make tears run down your face, they aren’t any good.”

AND, the good thing about peppers, is that they dry easy and store WELL in a dried state. Everyone should have peppers on hand(maybe not black pepper, greens and reds are best)for many reasons, even for sores and sickness, as well as flavoring…eating wheat three times a day without flavoring can be pretty bland

IceFire

@birdgirl+1 wrote:

the info on sprouts is of interest to me. I stopped buying sprouts a couple years ago after a (I think it was)salmonella scare.
    Whatever, it was something very bad for the human body! Is this a concern with any sprouts, or was this a malfunction of our modern food transport system? I want to begin to dehydrate and perhaps grow sprouts, but want to do so wisely and safely.
    Thanks for any info you can provide!
    birdgirl+1

Birdgirl–the problem with the sprouts (it could have been either e.coli or salmonella) was mainly a problem with the commercial growing/distribution system. Even if the sprouts are grown in this country, most of the workers are from elsewhere and are not well-versed in good sanitation/personal hygiene practices. That, plus you get large-scale irrigation systems that aren’t always maintained properly. In addition to the “factory farming”, you get produce that’s handled by the same types of workers in large processing facilities, then hauled in trucks that might have become contaminated from a PREVIOUS load, and not properly cleaned.

If you are growing your own sprouts, YOU have control over the cleanliness, sanitation, and handling processes, so if you maintain clean conditions, you can provide yourself with a healthy product. Growing sprouts is not rocket science, it just requires a reasonable level of care.

sbsion

@icefire wrote:

[If you are growing your own sprouts, YOU have control over the cleanliness, sanitation, and handling processes, so if you maintain clean conditions, you can provide yourself with a healthy product. Growing sprouts is not rocket science, it just requires a reasonable level of care.

Using a quart jar with mesh on the top, makes it so easy. Just add water to seeds, soak over nite, pour off water and rinse with new water, then let set until the next day…….CLEAN, easy, and nutritious(btw, another rinsing the second day, and let set for another day is just as easy for twice the amount

autumnwear

Ok folks….I’ve never ever considered sprouts, but this has about convinced me to give it a go. I always assumed it was harder than it evidently is- looks so simple a toddler could do it. I feel kinda silly now. lol
    Thanks for all the links guys- very helpful. I’ll letchya know how it goes.

sbsion

remember to “try” all grains..try them for sprouting, ie, wheat, all beans (of course, rice won’t sprout, unless it’s brown, or split peas)…Alfalfa, radish, chia, etc. are LARGE producers of “more than the seed looks like”…etc. simple soaking in a tin overnite, works also…….AND, if you have chickens, soak wheat over nite before feeding to them….fantastic enhancer for their health and production

IceFire

You can also make bread from sprouted grains, instead of using flour. Excellent, on the nutrituional side! The commercial variety of doing this is Ezekiel bread.

Muzhik

All this talk about beans, and sprouts, and veggies… When do we get to talk about the #1 must ingredient for long term survival:

Chocolate.

How do we keep our M&Ms from getting mushy year after year? (I live in a high humidity area.) How do we keep the crunch in our Kit-Kat bars? Has anyone tried canning chunks of chocolate cake, for when you don’t want to make a whole cake? (You put the chunks in a sugar solution, so they get this sweet crunchy layer around them.)

Is anyone else feeling hungry now…?

IceFire

Great, now you’ve got me jonesing for chocolate! I keep lots of powdered chocolate/baking cocoa in my preps, that can be used for making fudge, chocolate candy, frosting, brownies, cakes, etc. I store the basic ingredients, so that I can make my own chocolate goodies up fresh as I want them.

sbsion

@muzhik wrote:

All this talk about beans, and sprouts, and veggies… When do we get to talk about the #1 must ingredient for long term survival:
    [Is anyone else feeling hungry now…?

aaaaaaaaaaa, would that be dehydrated water, or compressed air……hmmmm, seriously, for health, strength, vitality, outside of air and water for survival………….seeds?

Empress

I usually have a few 5lb bags of choc. chips in my freezer. My thinking is that a couple months into IT a choc. chip cookie would be worth GOLD. oh and that I’m a choc-o-holic and wat about 1/2 cup of chips a day. (to cheap to buy actual “candy”) (’tis my once vise)
    How do you can chocolate??? lol

idahobob

@muzhik wrote:

Chocolate.

How do we keep our M&Ms from getting mushy year after year? (I live in a high humidity area.) How do we keep the crunch in our Kit-Kat bars? Has anyone tried canning chunks of chocolate cake, for when you don’t want to make a whole cake? (You put the chunks in a sugar solution, so they get this sweet crunchy layer around them.)

Is anyone else feeling hungry now…?

All right, I gotta admit it, I’m a chocoholic. We have LOTS of chocolate stored. At COSTCO they sell semi-sweet chips in a 10lb bag. We put ’em in 1/2 Gal, Ball Jars and vacuum seal ’em. We have white chocolate chips, coco powder, chocolate chunks, all stored the same way. Can you imagine a world without chocolate chip cookies? Or brownies? Or hot chocolate? Or ……fudge?

Well pilgrims, I, for one, cannot, so I store comfort foods, and all the fixin’s, accordingly.

And don’t get me started on peanut butter……mmmmm…..peanut butter fudge…..peanut butter mocha fudge.

You get the idea.

Bob
    III

sbsion

@mmpaints wrote:

LOL, there ya go. Anyway, I find it hard to eat something that won’t put back into my seed stock. Think about all the seed you’ll go thru with no way to replace it all. Nah, I’ll pass on the eating grass thing. I’d rather eat the radish than a radish seedling.

I guess it depends on what you want outa the purpose of prepping. We all have our own approach to what is of the greatest priority, nutrition or taste, sometimes we all will sacrafice one for the other……..personally, I prefer a salad over a steak………..it’s been 15 years since I went to being a vegetarian and gave up my filet mignon/bacon sandwiches, hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm, I also no longer have migriens…………..I wonder sometimes………

sbsion

@idahobob wrote:

[Chocolate.
    All right, I gotta admit it, I’m a chocoholic. We have LOTS of chocolate stored. At COSTCO they sell semi-sweet chips in a 10lb bag. We put ’em in 1/2 Gal, Ball Jars and vacuum seal ’em. We have white chocolate chips, coco powder, chocolate chunks, all stored the same way. Can you imagine a world without chocolate chip cookies? Or brownies? Or hot chocolate? Or ……fudge?
    And don’t get me started on peanut butter……mmmmm…..peanut butter fudge…..peanut butter mocha fudge.
    You get the idea.
    Bob
    III

Ya don’t need to store chocolate more than one year, if kept cool (basement temp), they are good for atleast a year, THEN, after Christmas, Valentines, or Easter, you can replace them at atleast 50% off…I have 100s of candy canes in stock, some of them man years old..got them for 90% off, after Christmas..great item

Muzhik

@empress wrote:

I usually have a few 5lb bags of choc. chips in my freezer.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!! Don’t do that! For short term (like in the summer, freezing Hershey bars) it’s OK. But if you keep your chocolate in the freezer the oils start leeching out and the chocolate loses it’s flavor. (That’s also why you don’t store coffee beans in the freezer.)

And sbison, the candy canes will keep forever. Candy canes are nothing more than mint-flavored sugar sticks, and sugar never goes bad.

As for keeping the chocolate, I finally found out the date code that M&M/Mars uses on their candy. On the back of their large bags, you’ll find a white square with some numbers and letters, i.e., 922E MKHP24. It’s the first set of numbers that are important. It’s the approximate date the candy was made. In this example, it was made in 2009, in the 22nd week of the year (i.e., sometime in August). Mars Inc. will tell you that the “best by” date is a year after that date; in this example Aug. of 2010. However, so long as the candy is kept sealed away from the air, away from sunlight, in a cool and dry place, there’s no reason why it can’t last for at least 5 years after the “best by” date.

sbsion

I noticed that chocolate, after a few years, starts to turn white………..but, just oxidation, no harm; still good to the taste, just psychological…….so, good barter item when the time comes, along with coffee, alcohol and “”excderins”..btw, candy canes are really good after a few years, (powder surrounded by a nice slick seal)…which is best, to unwrap the canes or leave them wrapped?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum