"Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water General Food Topics "Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #54682
    Muzhik
    Member

    @sbsion wrote:

    btw, candy canes are really good after a few years, (powder surrounded by a nice slick seal)…which is best, to unwrap the canes or leave them wrapped?

    Leave them wrapped. You don’t want bugs or vermin to eat them.

    #54683
    sbsion
    Member

    OK…….we got sprouts, chocolate, dehydrated water………..hmmmmmmmm Pain relievers, are they more important than food, we can always find food here or there, we can wait for rain, but, people when changing diets can have quit a time with adjustments, tylenol, asprin, “excedrinn(has caffine, and many will have fits when they can’t get coffee/etc for awhile, which is the best to store………some say the bark of certain trees supply necessary pain relief…or?

    #54684
    Muzhik
    Member

    Aspirin came from the primary chemical in the bark of willow trees. Before it was discovered and synthesized, people would take a “tea” or “infusion” of willow bark in order to reduce fever/manage pain.

    #54685
    IceFire
    Moderator

    Yep, willowbark tea for pain/fever relief. The Native Americans used it extensively, then taught the use of it to the “white man”, who then analyzed, sythesized, and patented it and made a fortune, while those who had ORIGINALLY come up with the idea didn’t get squat!

    #54686
    kymber
    Member

    my next door neighbour (from Poland) used to always come over to our yard to collect pine needles – she said that pine needle tea worked on pain/fever. i have been using this remedy for a few years and it works!!! if you have pine trees close to you – collect the needles fresh from the tree as you need them. if you don’t have any close to you – next time you are in/around a forest that does have them – collect them from the tree and store them in a ziploc bag or plastic container.

    she would also make the tea and then use a clean cloth dipped in the tea to clean cuts and scrapes.

    to make the tea – crush up the needles, pour boiling water on them, cover for at least 5 mins and then enjoy!

    #54687
    Shelli
    Member

    I understand the nutritional value of sprouts, but don’t have any information on what to grow from where and I don’t know what info is reputable… I saw that split peas will sprout – do you mean the kind from the grocery store? Go easy on me, I am a total newbie here! Thanks. 🙂
    Shelli

    #54688
    sbsion
    Member

    @kymber wrote:

    my next door neighbour (from Poland) used to always come over to our yard to collect pine needles – she said that pine needle tea worked on pain/fever. i have been using this remedy for a few years and it works!!! if you have pine trees close to you – collect the needles fresh from the tree as you need them. if you don’t have any close to you – next time you are in/around a forest that does have them – collect them from the tree and store them in a ziploc bag or plastic container.
    she would also make the tea and then use a clean cloth dipped in the tea to clean cuts and scrapes.
    to make the tea – crush up the needles, pour boiling water on them, cover for at least 5 mins and then enjoy!

    Many of the Donner party survived on ONLY boiled pine needles, scooping off the oil on the water worked wonders for “feeling good”, having energy, etc. when buried 10 feet under snow, and surviving for MONTHs, just on the needles

    #54689
    sbsion
    Member

    @Muzhik wrote:

    Aspirin came from the primary chemical in the bark of willow trees. Before it was discovered and synthesized, people would take a “tea” or “infusion” of willow bark in order to reduce fever/manage pain.

    Asprin is great, but, “excedrin type pain relievers”, have caffiene, many people will be looking for a FIX when they can’t get coffee or cigarettes, and this type pain reliever helps to “satsify”, the headache caused by lack of caffine, kills other pain and also work as a fever reducer………..hmmmmmmm (equate brand is 1/4 the price and just as effective)

    #54690
    kymber
    Member

    @Shelli wrote:

    I understand the nutritional value of sprouts, but don’t have any information on what to grow from where and I don’t know what info is reputable… I saw that split peas will sprout – do you mean the kind from the grocery store? Go easy on me, I am a total newbie here! Thanks. 🙂
    Shelli

    Shelli – not sure if you saw this link a few pages back….here is some info about sprouts that i did in a post….let me know if you have any more questions or need more info. i will try to dig some more info up for you!

    http://novascotiapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/03/sprouts-great-way-to-feed-your-family.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

    #54691
    kymber
    Member

    @sbsion wrote:

    @kymber wrote:

    my next door neighbour (from Poland) used to always come over to our yard to collect pine needles – she said that pine needle tea worked on pain/fever. i have been using this remedy for a few years and it works!!! if you have pine trees close to you – collect the needles fresh from the tree as you need them. if you don’t have any close to you – next time you are in/around a forest that does have them – collect them from the tree and store them in a ziploc bag or plastic container.
    she would also make the tea and then use a clean cloth dipped in the tea to clean cuts and scrapes.
    to make the tea – crush up the needles, pour boiling water on them, cover for at least 5 mins and then enjoy!

    Many of the Donner party survived on ONLY boiled pine needles, scooping off the oil on the water worked wonders for “feeling good”, having energy, etc. when buried 10 feet under snow, and surviving for MONTHs, just on the needles

    Sbsion – i did not know this info about the Donner party and the pine needles! wow! thank you so much for sharing! this makes me feel much more prepped and ready!

    #54692
    Shelli
    Member

    @kymber wrote:

    Shelli – not sure if you saw this link a few pages back….here is some info about sprouts that i did in a post….let me know if you have any more questions or need more info. i will try to dig some more info up for you!

    http://novascotiapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/03/sprouts-great-way-to-feed-your-family.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

    I did see that link, but from what I saw (I will go through it again, but I have a tendency to “skim through” while watching my three kiddos) it didn’t say what types of beans will sprout. I have read that grocery store beans won’t sprout, and some things are not safe to sprout, but I don’t know where to get the info on what TO sprout safely. Also, once it’s sprouted, how or what part to eat? Does that makes sense? Do you just eat the sprouts on things, or do the original beans get eaten too?

    #54693
    sbsion
    Member

    when sprouting most beans, ie, red, white, black eyed, pinto, etc. cook the WHOLE bean, sprout and all, or, just much on them, the longer they spourt the more nutrients (note:mung beans are a staple of oriental eating), eating raw is better than cooked..all of it

    #54694
    kymber
    Member

    here is a link with a pretty comprehensive list of sprouts, seeds, beans, etc. which are good for sprouting:

    http://www.rawnutrition.ca/html/sprouters___sprouting_seed_sup.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

    (scroll to the bottom of the page for the list of sprouts)

    once your seeds have sprouted you can remove the original seed part from the sprouts (they slide right off) or you can leave them on for extra nutritional value. i use sprouts on sandwiches, in salads, soups, stir-fries….and i eat at least a handfull a day just as they are.

    #54695
    sbsion
    Member

    why don’t they list soy and garbonzo on the bean list?

    #54696
    kymber
    Member

    thats why i said it was a pretty comprehensive list sbsion…i just wanted to give her start ya know?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum