"Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water General Food Topics "Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Shelli

And I appreciate it 🙂 I already have a mason jar out to remind me to start these tomorrow. – we’ll see how it goes!

kymber

let us know how it goes Shell…and if you have any questions – just yell!

sbsion

@kymber wrote:

[
    Sbsion – i did not know this info about the Donner party and the pine needles! wow! thank you so much for sharing! this makes me feel much more prepped and ready!

Many of those that survive, turned their wagons over under a pine tree, and for the next three months, record snow falls buried them, the had access to the pine tree, needles, bark and branchess AND, dug up the roots…ice cave with storage. Of course, they had whatever else nature provided but live under these conditions and dozens lived

kymber

it’s an amazing story eh? but i did not know the specifics about the pine needles. and one thing we got a lot of here is pine trees!

sbsion

have you moved to CB yet?…….I think the Island is made of pine trees…he he btw, can’t remember their names, but, I had friends in Cleveland, how far will you be from there?

kymber

sbsion – no – we haven’t moved yet but we purchased our homestead last august. and all of the chips have fallen into place for us to be there for good in spring of 2011 – woohoo for us!
    but you are right – CB is full of pine trees!!! Cleveland is just under 2 hours away from us (it would be shorter if you could drive a straight line between the 2 points).

did you visit CB?

sbsion

lived in Sydney, drove the whole Island from Cabots trail around the primeter, spent time in Whycocomagh, went to the “mainland”, Halifax offten, visited the bay of fundy, etc…Had a ball traveling the little villiages shopping for fresh lobster and cooking them (.25 cents apiece then)..oh, soo much, we even visited the Christmas Islands, etc….yep, had to take a ferry to go that direction, nothing straigter than a cows trail..he he

sbsion

@kymber wrote:

thats why i said it was a pretty comprehensive list sbsion…i just wanted to give her start ya know?

do you know of a site with a “priority” list of sprouting nutrition, ie, say: #1 Alphalfa, #2 Flax, etc………we hear about radish seeds, how about carrot……..seems like the most seeds for the greatest yield, for the least price and greatest nutrition would be a good list

sbsion

Lastly?………..the most important ingredient to survival is mental…….why do you want to survive? RU afraid of death? Just want to “hang around”, life is worth living “cause there ain’t nothing else, don’t know, just thought it would be nice, the ripple affect on the family if you didn’t………..hmmmmmm getting ready is a simple as “thinking about it” 😮

kymber

Sbsion….i don’t know of a priority list of sprouting nutrition but now you got me thinking about finding one. cuz yer right – carrot seeds would be the ones with greatest yield, price, etc.

if anyone knows of such a list can you please post it here? i will go off and see if i can find such a thing…..great thinking sbsion!

Shelli

I have to admit – I haven’t tried this yet. Something about being scared to try them if it does work! 🙂

kymber

Shelli – sprouts are really easy. give them a try – if you like fresh, crisp, crunchy greens – you will love sprouts and micro-greens!

Shelli

micro-greens?

kymber

oh crap. getting ahead of myself. sprouts are seeds that you water and get to sprout. no dirt involved. the seeds have different germination rates – some take 5 days – some take 14.

as for micro-greens – these are seeds that you plant in dirt and plan to clip them for use in food when they have just become seedlings – or have more than their 2 original leaves. for micro-greens – radish, beet, carrot, etc. seeds are grown not to produce the vegetable – but to eat the greens of their newly formed seedlings.

does this make sense?

IceFire

Sprouts you eat BEFORE they get their first “true leaves”. Microgreens you let get past the “sprout” stage, but while the seedlings are still tiny.

I’d rather wait for the vegetable. More “biomass” for the seed. Plus, I like to save seed so that I have a steady supply.

Speaking of seeds, my indoor plants are doing REALLY well, and the husb says I can get ANOTHER planting unit (that comes with the seed starting setup for 66 seedlings) once I get back from my trip.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum