"Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water General Food Topics "Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

This topic contains 128 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  sbsion 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 129 total)
  • Author

kymber

yes – and sprouts you do ONLY IN/WITH WATER – no dirt involved! however, in northern climes, in order to always have “fresh” greens available – sprouts and micro-greens are a good combination to make sure that along with your canned or frozen veggies – you get fresh veggies all year round – and ALL of the nutrients that fresh veggies provide!

IceFire – keep us updated as to getting your new kit!

IceFire

Well, for the ones that I already have…the lettuce seeds that I just plante are ALREADY sprouting! And, I swear that the tomato plants have grown 3 inches just since yesterday! I’m going to have to raise the hood up already! The pepper seeds are about to sprout, too.

sbsion

another excellent seed for sprouting and eating without dirt, are sunflower seeds, when they reach about three inches, dig in and use as greens in a salad, or even use in a soup or stew…..likewise, mung beans…btw, a burlap mess, used in place of dirt, retains the moisture longer for larger seeds when spread for greater growth

IceFire

Burlap…now THERE’S an idea! I have burlap! (hey, it’s fabric, and I have LOTS of that!)

Shelli

Thanks for the explination, guys! Man, so much to learn 🙂 (I love to learn)

IceFire

Learning is a lifelong process, Shelli…We are ALWAYS learning SOMETHING! (Or if we’re not, we SHOULD be!)

sbsion

@icefire wrote:

Burlap…now THERE’S an idea! I have burlap! (hey, it’s fabric, and I have LOTS of that!)

another favorite for smaller seeds, are the cloth bags flour and sugar come in……..just split and lay on cookie sheets or pizza pans…………potatoe bags are good, a type of burlap

IceFire

Does anyone still sell flour and sugar in cloth bags? I only see it in paper any more. Then again, I have PLENTY of muslin and “quilting” cotton, which is made fairly similar.

sbsion

@icefire wrote:

You can keep your stored seeds from sprouting by making sure they stay dry. I store my seeds in their packages, then put the seed packages in ziploc-type bags to make sure they stay dry. Make sure that they are dry as a mummy’s butt before sealing them up, though, or they could mold on you.

A trick to help keep seeds dry and weavil free is SALT………one of the best methods I have discovered in long term storage seeds, was, to just add a tablespoon of salt in a five gallon bucket of wheat, rice, beans, etc. the weavile go to the salt because it draws moisture, and when the consume the moisture it kills the weavil. When using the grain, we can easily shift off the salt by shaking the grain as you go…lesser amounts for gallong containers, etc..(just plain table salt)

sbsion

did you, have you, will you, buy some SALT today……….to many uses to discribe……get it now (or more, if you have it, remember, your neighbors need it too)

IceFire

Well, I didn’t buy any salt TODAY, but I DO have about 60 pounds worth in storage at the moment

Shelli

I have 2 of the grocery store cartons on my storage shelf, one upstairs and a container of sea salt. that’s not enough, is it? 😮

IceFire

Ummm..no, it’s not. But look at it on the bright side…currently, salt is pretty inexpensive, so it won’t cost you much to stock up on it.

Shelli

True, true. I should focus on what is in range for me right now. That way, if tshtf, I will at least have something to barter with! 😉

Shelli

I have a dumb sprout question. Can sprout seeds self-perpetuate? Meaning will they ever be something I could grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum