"Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water General Food Topics "Must ingredients for survival"? BEFORE Aug 2?

This topic contains 128 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  sbsion 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 129 total)
  • Author

sbsion

most will……….yup, sprouts are just “baby plants”

Muzhik

@icefire wrote:

Ummm..no, it’s not. But look at it on the bright side…currently, salt is pretty inexpensive, so it won’t cost you much to stock up on it.

True. I just bought two 26oz containers (the large cylinders) for 39 cents each. Both packages are iodized, since where I live I can’t count on a regular source of iodine. I’ll be buying some more tomorrow.

sbsion

something to consider…..farmers co-ops sell 50lb blocks of mineralized salt “licks” for under $10…could be a good way to get
    extra for the money?

sbsion

Kymber………….this is probably the string you were looking for on sprouts, I changed the title from “sprouts a must ingrdient …” to just Must ingredient……sorry…sbsion

Muzhik

@sbsion wrote:

something to consider…..farmers co-ops sell 50lb blocks of mineralized salt “licks” for under $10…could be a good way to get
    extra for the money?

Since those are made to be used by farm animals (which, by necessity, have different nutritional needs from humans), I’d check first to make sure there isn’t anything in them that could cause problems to humans. If they were “pure” salt licks I don’t think there would be any problems; it’s that word “mineralized” that makes me pause.

On a VERY creepy note… I just read an article which speculated that the vampire myth was started / gained ground during the 12th century when there was a salt shortage in Europe. According to the article, things got so bad that people would attack other people and drink their blood just for the salt in the other person’s blood. 😯 It’s the first time I’ve ever heard that theory, and the ONLY place I’ve read about it, so I’m not 100% convinced that this was the case.

IOW, take it with a grain of salt…

sbsion

they sell both types, but, you won’t have any problem with either..done that

birdgirl1

Hi everyone.
    Am wondering if any of you have stocked food items from Auguson Farms or from any other of the already prepared food sites? Their storage life for things like potato pearls etc, seems much longer than those in the grocery, or from what I can read home prepared things. They look costly, but am wondering if anyone is supplementing with these items.
    Advice wecome from those who are experienced to those of us who haven’t a clue and are just learning!
    birdgirl+1

sbsion

no, depending on your finances…….more important is to get the basics and get sufficent condiments for a variety of flavors. I start with the “years supply pak”, but, tooled down to basics, added my condiments, and now am feathering the next with two year rotatables, (we might be that close) RUReady?

birdgirl1

I have acutally started stocking up!! I have only a little, but plan on going out tomorrow and adding to. Can anyone tell me if you trust the canned foods that have the “pop top”. It seems soups and more and more things are headed this way. Do you think the shelf life is as good as the way things used to be canned. My goal tomorrow:
    Look for places to get big food buckets,
    Add some water,
    Buy Clorox in bulk.
    You all don’t know how good it feels to communicate with people who understand!
    Birdgirl+1

sbsion

keep pop tops dry……then they could last as long

Muzhik

Birdgirl, don’t buy Clorox in bulk. It does NOT have an indefinite storage life, possibly as little as 6 months. Instead, find a place that sells swimming pool supplies (try Wal-Mart) and buy a bag of Calcium Hypochlorite. Make sure you get JUST the 65% Calcium Hypochlorite, and not with fungicides, etc. Provided you keep the bag dry and don’t expose it ti a lot of temperature swings, it will last 10 years.

Read this web site for info on how to use it and make bleach as needed.

birdgirl1

THANK YOU MUZHIK! I just checked my computer and am preparing to head out on my shopping expedition. You saved me!
    I love this site and how helpful everyone is!
    Birdgirl+1

sbsion

don’t forget to get just some SALT………….all kinds

sbsion

and spices…………..ya gotta have variety

Vina8

And fire starters–I love all kinds of fire starters. Magnesium, steel matches, steel wool, wind/water proof matches, butane lighters, Bic lighters, etc. I have started a fire with a magnifying glass which is fun when you are a kid, but can be frustrating if you are hungry or cold. Fire–ya gotta have variety!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum