My Survival Knife

This topic contains 32 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  TheLight 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Gabbyhase

This is a topic much like guns. There will be as many opinions as people about what kind of knife to have.
    My survival knife is a KA=BAR 1211 just like this one https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=1211&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=All-Purpose/Utility” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false with a glass filled nylon sheath. You can use it for gutting big or small game, hammer with it, dig with it, protect yourself with it ect. It’s made of 1095 Cro-Van steel and in my opinion is a very well made knife. I’m not big on surraded edges because i think they’re a pain to sharpen, I prefer just a straight edge. You need a knife with a full tang on it. Those hollowed out handle,so called survival knives aren’t worth much as far as I’m concerned because they give up a lot of strenght in the knife handle. You want a good strong knife that will preform well in every situation.
    I also carry a small pocket knife with a can opener, screwdriver, bottle opener, blade and marlin spike on it. I also have a multi tool in my grab and go bag.

Silent Bob

Try to add a small pouch to the outside of your sheath . You can put a diamond sharpener ,multiplier , lighter in it . Tie it on the sheath with a long piece of 550 cord , and secure it with some Ranger Bands .
    Spot

Gabbyhase

@Silent Bob wrote:

Try to add a small pouch to the outside of your sheath . You can put a diamond sharpener ,multiplier , lighter in it . Tie it on the sheath with a long piece of 550 cord , and secure it with some Ranger Bands .
    Spot

I just baught a nice little sharpener just for that knife. I do leather working ( I make my own gun holsters ) and I’m going to be making myself a possibles pouch. 🙂

axe435

That “small pocket knife” sounds like a British sheffield… I have one of those on order but I got it without the marlin spike…

Do you find yourself using that spike much?

Also: rumor has it that the blade doesn’t hold a edge for very long… any truth to that?

I also picked up a mora… I’ve had it for about 6 months… seems OK but I have only rare occasion to use a fixed blade knife… Was cheap though: only about $15 shipped…

MTJoe

I LOVE knive’s and gun’s. all make and models! I also have a Ka-bar, leather handle and sheath. It saw abuse in the Corps, and a lot more since then, but holds a edge, takes a beating and works like a dream no matter what you ask of it. Many may not be aware it is designed to flex some. This was for combat reasons. For every day carry I go with my two tanto assited opening Kershaws. I got them as the grip is outstanding, the blade is super sharp, serration allows you to cut thick stuff fast, and the tanto tip provides great penetration no matter what your having to stab at to protect yourself. My pocket knife is a Case XX trapper model. Just a great knife. The Mora’s are great as well, and do hold a edge. Many different versions on the market, so make sure you know what your getting! Also, because of the handle design on some, I would add a no slip grip or get the one with a handguard. Cutting yourself with your own knife just sucks! Edit- Forgot to add I got the Kershaws as they have a lifetime warranty and if they need ANYTHING, I just mail them in! Great deal for everyday knives.

Phelan

I love my Kershaws. The best knives I have found for butchering.

Gabbyhase

@axe435 wrote:

That “small pocket knife” sounds like a British sheffield… I have one of those on order but I got it without the marlin spike…

Do you find yourself using that spike much?

Also: rumor has it that the blade doesn’t hold a edge for very long… any truth to that?

I also picked up a mora… I’ve had it for about 6 months… seems OK but I have only rare occasion to use a fixed blade knife… Was cheap though: only about $15 shipped…

Sorry it’s taken me so long to answer this, I haven’t been feeling well. Yes, I use the Marlin Spike a lot !! It’s great for un-doing knots, ‘ve even used it on my tennis shoes when I goof up the knot trying to untie them.

axe435

I got my sheffield. No marlin spike but I kind of like the blade so far. I’ll carry it around for a while and see how I like it…

Gabbyhase

@axe435 wrote:

I got my sheffield. No marlin spike but I kind of like the blade so far. I’ll carry it around for a while and see how I like it…

My pocket knife is a Camillus just like this one. It’s not really a Marlin spike on it, it’s more of a belt hole tool but I use it mostly as a Marlin Spike.
    I have a metal belt clip for holing keys, I use it to clip my pocket knife to so it hangs off my belt, this way it doesn’t wear a hole in my pocket.
    Years ago ( more than 15 ) I was hired to throw out a bunch of stuff in an old warehouse and the camillus was sitting right on top of the pile. I’ve had it ever sence and I love it, it goes everywhere with me. The blade on my Camillus is stamped 1969. These are very good pocket knives and you can still buy them pretty resonable on e-bay and other sites.

Gabbyhase

@mtjoe wrote:

I LOVE knive’s and gun’s. all make and models! I also have a Ka-bar, leather handle and sheath. It saw abuse in the Corps, and a lot more since then, but holds a edge, takes a beating and works like a dream no matter what you ask of it. Many may not be aware it is designed to flex some. This was for combat reasons.

Most quality knives are designed to flex a little bit. if a knife is hardened to hard it will snap or break when using it ( for this reason I don’t like Ceramic blade knives ). The older Military KA-Bar knives were made of a very High Carbor steel, because of that they were hard to sharpen but kept a good edge after you sharpened it. Today they are made of 1095 Cro-Van steel. Not as hard and easier to sharpen, but still a good strong steel.
    Kershaw is also a great knife and it’s American made just like the KA-Bar. Case, Schrade and Sog are also great knives.
    I have a Buck single blade folder that I’ve used for years to gut deer with but I’m not very happy with it, it doesn’t seem to keep a good edge very long and I’m always having to sharpen it in the field. But it was a gift from my mother and I’m to cheap to but another one.

JT

tigger2

Ka-Bar is a good knife. There is a legend as to how the name Ka-Bar came about.

How KA-BAR Got Its Name
    Soon after its introduction in the mid-1920’s, the KA-BAR trademark became widely known and respected. There have been many versions of how the KA-BAR name came to be, but all evidence points to a letter received from a fur trapper. This particular fur trapper’s testimonial turned out to be the most significant ever received by the company.

He wrote, in very rough English, that his gun had jammed and that he had therefore relied on his knife to kill a wounded bear that was attacking him. In thanking the company for their quality product the trapper described using his knife to kill the bear. All that was legible of his scrawled writing was “k a bar”. The company was so honored by this testimonial that they adopted this phrase and used it as their trademark, KA-BAR.
    https://www.kabar.com/name.jsp” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

This is the knife I carry most of the time. It’s a Gerber.

http://www.rockynational.com/5882_22-01795_Gerber_Profile_Drop_Point_with_Sheath.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Gabbyhase

This past Saturday ( Jan 16, 2010 ) I picked up a copy of “The Backwoodsman” magazine and they wrote about this handy knife. It’s not only a good knife but it’s also has a built in fire starter and a emergency survival whistle . I think I’m going to pick on up for my Grab and Go back.

http://www.toollogic.com/sl3.htm” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

DarkReaven

What is the best pocket knife? Looking for any ideas because i want to have one.

Gabbyhase

@darkreaven wrote:

What is the best pocket knife? Looking for any ideas because i want to have one.

For a pocket knife there are probably as many opinions as there are people here. I like my Camillus pocket knife because it has a nice metal loop on it so I can hang it from my key clip on my belt instead of carrying it in my pocket where it will wear a hole in my pocket.
    My Camillus keeps a good edge, it has a belt punch, a flat screw driver/ bottle opener, A knife, and a can opener on it. I use this knife for one reason or another just about everyday and I’ve had it over 15 years now. I found this knife when I was working for a guy, it was in the trash he asked me to take to the dump. The Blade is dated 1968 and it’s stamped U.S. on the handle. Here is a picture of what mine looks like. I’m probably going to buy another one just in case I ever lose this one because out of all the pocket knives I ever owned I love this one the best.

JT

tigger2

If you have a serrated knife, you probably know this. I have a round diamond stone that is handy for sharpening serrated blades. Mine is similar to this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum