My Tsunami prepping experience

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Although yesterday’s Tsunami warning turned out to be just a warning, I’m sure many of you used it as a prepper drill for the real thing…or worse. I was already on my way to the grocery store when the alarms went off. Shopping was rather easy and access thru the aisle simple. However, even with ease of going thru the aisles initially, an announcement was made within 5 minutes of me being there that the store was closing….immediately. The rush with those patrons in the store now began, piling up their wagons with as much food as they could before the store clerks asked them to come to the front. I could see the panic in their eyes and the kind of things they “thought” they would need should the emergency turn out to be true. During this experience I was able to contact my family and extended families, and coordinate meet ups as I knew the roads eventually will be closed.

They only snag I had was a family member that was DJ’ing a hotel wedding and the bride and groom decided to keep the party going until the contracted time of 10p. Seriously? I immediately called the hotel security to find out if the couple was informed and they said they were. I then asked how they could allow an event to continue till 10p when everyone on the island was shutting down their events, businesses, etc. so that their workers could get home, or risk being stranded on the road when the police shut it down. I did not anticipate this. They were very familiar with the roads closing down from the tsunami scare the last time around. I then called back my family member and told him to begin packing up and that I would be there shortly to pick him up despite what they thought. Although I understand it was their wedding day, I did not anticipate dealing with people who did NOT care about their own safety and the safety of others as it was now 9:30pm. My family member also did not have a vehicle and was supposed to be picked up by someone else, but that someone else had a change in plans as they were stuck in a long line of cars at the gas station. So if he got stuck at the hotel because of the road closure, he would be there without his emergency car bag or any place to store his equipment safely. Upon arrival, we packed as quickly as we possible could and left close to 10p.

The ride back was a death defying experience as I was almost hit several times by drivers rushing and disobeying double solid lines, stop signs, etc. Although you anticipate this, it was still an eye opening experience. Every gas station on the way home was lined with cars. Fortunately all my family members are taught to keep at least a 1/2 tank full of fuel so many of us simply drove by the chaos. Upon reaching my community there were loads of people in the park. They are those who live in low lying areas and most of them seemed somewhat prepared. Because I carefully chose where I wanted to live during most shtf scenarios, I continued my trek home, carefully peering the crowd to make sure I didn’t see any extended families or friends there. If their were, I was planning to have them stay with me as it was much better than staying at the park.

Upon arrival, the bug out bags were already out with food and water buckets ready to go. Although we live away from the flood zones, my family emergency drills taught them to get things out in case the situation changes. I was pleased. We watched the tube like all of you, following all the ABC stations and cable channels for the latest info. I believe the most hilarious was when people were told “not to flush” their toilets in order to conserve water. Wow, if the sh*t really DID hit the fan, you aren’t allowed to flush it either? Lol. This I did not anticipate but we have adequate amount of water stored and secret sources on where to get more. The rest of the night became enjoyable as we sat around watching the emergency coverage, played games, had a nice dinner, and reflected on how everyone did during this drill. All my family and close friends all called each other to make sure everyone was home, and then began contacting our mainland families to let them know we were alright. I still couldn’t believe the idiots on tv waiting on the beaches to get a good view of the tsunami. It behoves me how they can be so irresponsible, and place our emergency personnel in danger should they have to be rescued. I understand our laws and know the authorities cannot stop them, but should this actually happen and a rescuer loses his/her life trying to save theirs, I can only imagine the pain their loved ones would feel and bitterness against those who created the rescue situation in the first place.

Well, I’m glad things worked out and I learned an awful lot yet again. I hope many of you had better experiences and was prepared properly. If not, this drill will help you do just that.

dr_prepper101
    :nuke: :ninja: :nuke:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum