New Member – Carson Valley – ham radio operator

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  cauhape 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

cauhape

Hello!

I’ve been prepping for a number of years, but just found this forum today. I’ve been living in the Carson Valley,
    south of Carson City, for 7 years now and still loving it.

I also have an announcement to make: I will be teaching a Ham Radio course through the Community/Continuing
    Education Dept of Western Nevada College, starting on January 31st.

The course “Ham Radio – Prepare for Your First License” is designed to prepare you to take the FCC Technician License
    exam at the end of the 11 week session. The Technician License gives you all the VHF band, UHF Band, and higher
    privileges, which is what you would want to use if you were on foot, or in a Jeep, or traveling by horse back.

Here are the hightlights:

* Dates – January 31st through April 11th (11 sessions)
    * Location – Carson City Campus of Western Nevada College
    * Meet – Wednesday evenings, 6:30 to 8:00 PM
    * Class cost – $56 (FCC Exam is optional, and $15 extra)

* NO morse code requirement
    * NO prior electronics background required
    * NO advanced math required
    * Radio theory taught in “plain English”

To register, go to http://www.wnc.edu, then select Academics, then Community/Continuing Education, then Carson City.
    Select the link HAM Radio.

The Big Question: WHY?

It is my firm belief that the more you know what’s going on around you – locally, regionally or nationally – the better
    decisions you can make. Not only does ham radio allow you to listen to what’s going on, but you can share information
    and help others have a clear picture of what’s real and what’s rumor or disinformation.

I have heard some people suggest that they will just buy the equipment and keep it in a box until they need it. This is
    a huge mistake. What makes the radio – and you – useful for communications is your ability to solve problems when they
    occur, and the only way to get that skill is by actually using the equipment. If you join a radio club or make a point of
    connecting with more experience operators, your learning curve will be a lot easier and you will get the skills you need
    with less effort.

There is no better time than right now to learn this skill when the cost of mistakes is trivial, as opposed to when you
    really need the skill during an emergency and you can’t make it happen. Get your skills _before_ you need them.

I have also heard the objection that people “Don’t want to be on a government list.”

Ok, I get that. However, keep in mind that there are over 700,000+ _other_ amateur “Ham” radio operators registered
    with the government. If you include the hams who have let their licenses lapse, that number is closer to 2,000,000.
    Unless you’re going out of your way to draw attention to yourself, why would they care?

IIRC, you can use a post office box as your address when you register after passing the test.

If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to PM me or post a message if you think it might be of general interest.

Best Regards,

cauhape / K7BCV

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Check In Here Nevada Preppers’ is closed to new topics and replies.