New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Welcome to APN! Forums Start Here Introduce Yourself New Members, Welcome to our forum!

This topic contains 1,266 replies, has 697 voices, and was last updated by  Margarette 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,267 total)
  • Author

Hey to all the new folks.. Nice to see so many new people coming on board.. I hope to see you around the forums .. This is a great place run by wonderful helpful folks..

Lynda

Hello, everyone. I’m new here and live in Massachusetts. Are there any members who live in MA? I’ve been gathering supplies for about a year now and joined to pick up some useful tips and advice from the more experienced preppers. I have read Rawles’ “How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It.”, am in the middle of reading “Patriots” by him, have just finished “One Second After” and another about survival, food storage and emergency prep by Peggy Layton.
    I’m waiting for the book version of “Lights Out.” My husband and I live in a cabin in the woods off of a country road in a small town of less than 4,000 people.

Vina8

We are very happy to have you here, Detentus. It sounds like you and your husband are doing pretty well with your preps. A cabin in the woods sounds great. Let us know if you have any questions.

Lynda

Vina, thank you for the welcome. I’ll primarily be hanging out here and on Survival Monkey forums(another site), and pick a few brains for advice. I’m learning how to dehydrate food right now(practicing), growing my own vegetable garden, and will try canning next. The lost arts. I’m happy to see so many others doing this and hope to see more. Thanks again!

Hello my name is maryruth. I live in north ID at the present time until Aug when I will be moving to AK. I have been into emergency preparedness for about 15 years. I even teach classes for the Red Cross about it for the disabled. I am a DAT volunteer also. I just found this list by googling another topic. I am really excited to be here. I am sure I am going to learn a lot. When my friends want to learn about EP they come ask me. I have tons of materials in my files and lots of books that I have collected over the years.

Good to be here and can’t wait to get to know people.

maryruth

Vina8

@Detentus wrote:

Vina, thank you for the welcome. I’ll primarily be hanging out here and on Survival Monkey forums(another site), and pick a few brains for advice. I’m learning how to dehydrate food right now(practicing), growing my own vegetable garden, and will try canning next. The lost arts. I’m happy to see so many others doing this and hope to see more. Thanks again!

You may have already found them, but here are some links to subforums that have quite a bit of information from previous discussions on these subjects. I bought my Excalibur dehydrator at the beginning of this year and use it a lot. Canning is mostly just having the courage to try and a copy of the Ball Blue Book. Let us know if you have any questions or can’t find something.

Gardens and Homesteading viewforum.php?f=15
    Dehydrating viewforum.php?f=196
    Canning viewforum.php?f=107

Vina8

We are very happy you found us, maryruth. You should feel right at home–we have several active members who work in emergency preparedness. They contribute a lot to our learning here, and I hope you will too. We also have some great folks from Idaho and AK! Welcome to the forum and let us know if we can help.

ReadyMom

So glad to have you here!

maryruth, What part of Idaho are you from? I’m from Pennsylvania, but have done some community awareness work with an Emergency Services director in Nez Perce (we co-founded the GetPandemicReady website).

Looking forward to you posts … we especially need info on preparing the disabled and senior citizens! (I have some info in that area on a website I also maintain. You can find that here: Elderly & Disabled-Populations: Require Special Concerns http://communityawarenesspreparation.phpbb24.com/board/elderly-disabled-populations-require-special-concerns-f96.html ) Further input would be appreciated. Posting here, I’ll copy to over there with appropriate credits!

Detentus
    Welcome.. I’m in CT but I have seen several folks from MA.. sounds like your way more advanced in this than me and mine. If this world would hold off falling apart I would love to by a hidey hole deep in the woods of Maine and stock it to the rafters with supplies. As it stands I live on a city lot and we are learning.. Would love to learn more about what you are doing..

maryruth

welcome I would love to know what books you have found to be helping you with this great adventure of prepping. I love to read and collect books.. Right now I have books on PLant ID, herbalism, Growing food, etc and so on..

Lynda

cityhomesteader, thanks for the welcome. We bought parcel of land 7 years ago in central/west MA, built a cabin(we always wanted one), sitting 450 ft. back from a country road. Surrounded by woods(to the sides), and wetlands in the back which we own, for a relatively cheap cost(13 acres). Sold our old house, fitted cabin with solar panels for hot water(offsets the cost of oil nicely), and photovoltaic cells for electricity(nice getting a bill for $16.00), should go lower shortly. We have a woodstove and plenty of wood. Any profits from that house sale went into this house. I’m a newbie at gardening(last year was a bust due to weather and inexperience, but this year looks promising.) We bought from local farmer’s markets and I blanched and froze alot of produce. This year I’ll do the same, but dry and can much of it.
    We have two generators, one of which is hard wired to the house in case of electricity loss. Limited gasoline supply, but I’d like to get more and treat it to extend life. Water: we have a well that can be operated off the generator if need be, water barrels ready to be filled and purifiers if need be. Also have a small pond in back.
    Food storage: for about a year now, I’ve been accumulating canned goods(keeping X dates in mind), supplemented by products from Emergency Essentials, pastas, rices, dehydrated soup base, broth, fruits, vegetables. Just ordered hand grinder for making own flour from super pails of wheat. I did this by bulk shopping, buying doubles, rotating items. Husband built me a shelving unit so I can easily rotate. Purchased large plastic storage bins, vacuum sealer and bags, etc. We use these items anyway, so I just replace when used and constantly rotate.
    Establishing a mini-pharmacy: analgesics, vitamins, supplements, first aid kits, and personal hygiene items, soaps, etc. Cleaning supplies and bleach.
    Oil lamps and oil, emergency radio(wind-up), candles, and loads of matches, coleman lamps.
    I did this gradually so there was no huge initial outlay of cash.
    We are both licensed(in state of MA) gun owners, too and practice regularly at a local rod and gun club and have a mini-range in back of our house.
    We do have wildlife: deer, the occasional bear, moose that travel through….
    Dental and medical needs have been addressed over the past few months, so it’s just maintenance now.
    I’m still a newbie at this, and there’s always room for improvement which is why I’m here. I think we’ve made a pretty good start.

munchie3409
    Participant

Just signed up to the forum. I belong to quite a few other forums. From PA looking for fellow preppers in PA.

Hello all. New here but certainly not to prepping. I am currently in Ohio, But originally from Las Vegas, and most recently From Pahrump NV. We have been here for a lil over a yr now, and the wife and I are planning our escape back to somewhere in Nevada..Just not sure where yet. Skillset includes Canning, Veggie Gardening, Gunsmithing, & Soap making among other things.

We also bake most of our own breads, rolls, cakes and Pies from scratch. There isn’t a day that goes by that we don’t take another step towards total self sufficiency.

Vina8

Welcome to the forum, Munchie and Thunderstruck!

@Detentus wrote:

cityhomesteader, thanks for the welcome. We bought parcel of land 7 years ago in central/west MA, built a cabin(we always wanted one), sitting 450 ft. back from a country road. Surrounded by woods(to the sides), and wetlands in the back which we own, for a relatively cheap cost(13 acres). Sold our old house, fitted cabin with solar panels for hot water(offsets the cost of oil nicely), and photovoltaic cells for electricity(nice getting a bill for $16.00), should go lower shortly. We have a woodstove and plenty of wood. Any profits from that house sale went into this house. I’m a newbie at gardening(last year was a bust due to weather and inexperience, but this year looks promising.) We bought from local farmer’s markets and I blanched and froze alot of produce. This year I’ll do the same, but dry and can much of it.
    We have two generators, one of which is hard wired to the house in case of electricity loss. Limited gasoline supply, but I’d like to get more and treat it to extend life. Water: we have a well that can be operated off the generator if need be, water barrels ready to be filled and purifiers if need be. Also have a small pond in back.
    Food storage: for about a year now, I’ve been accumulating canned goods(keeping X dates in mind), supplemented by products from Emergency Essentials, pastas, rices, dehydrated soup base, broth, fruits, vegetables. Just ordered hand grinder for making own flour from super pails of wheat. I did this by bulk shopping, buying doubles, rotating items. Husband built me a shelving unit so I can easily rotate. Purchased large plastic storage bins, vacuum sealer and bags, etc. We use these items anyway, so I just replace when used and constantly rotate.
    Establishing a mini-pharmacy: analgesics, vitamins, supplements, first aid kits, and personal hygiene items, soaps, etc. Cleaning supplies and bleach.
    Oil lamps and oil, emergency radio(wind-up), candles, and loads of matches, coleman lamps.
    I did this gradually so there was no huge initial outlay of cash.
    We are both licensed(in state of MA) gun owners, too and practice regularly at a local rod and gun club and have a mini-range in back of our house.
    We do have wildlife: deer, the occasional bear, moose that travel through….
    Dental and medical needs have been addressed over the past few months, so it’s just maintenance now.
    I’m still a newbie at this, and there’s always room for improvement which is why I’m here. I think we’ve made a pretty good start.

We are so far just starting.. In CT there is not many that I know of doing what you are. I would love to get the debts paid down and install solar electric panels on our house, also would love to put a small wood stove in the basement.. We don’t do guns in my family, trying to talk the wife into buying a 12 gage for protection. We have regular break ins around here. I’m seriously considering an alarm system..
    We have 2 kerosene heaters just in case the heat goes off and about 10 gallons of kerosene..

We do have oil lamps and candles not many matches.. I’m reading a couple of books about prepping right now and will be following some of the detailed lists they have inside. One thing we need right away. $ bug out bags.. 4 for each adult and one for the dog..
    And a big 72 Hour Bug out kit for the jeep..

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,267 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum