New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Welcome to APN! Forums Start Here Introduce Yourself New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 1,277 total)
  • Author
    Lynda

City, I would think that becoming debt free is your first priority. I don’t know what the gun laws are in CT, but in MA they’re strict, although we had no problems. Check with local law enforcement.

As to the rest, we did this over time: now I’m just getting around to learning how to garden efficiently, and then process the produce. Learning how to can, dehydrate and store. Hit the sales for food, join a wholesale club like BJ’s and double up on items. Replace what you use and rotate canned items. Start setting up a storage area that’s cool and dry. I found the following book to be very useful: Emergency Food Storage and Survival Handbook by Peggy Layton.

@Detentus wrote:

City, I would think that becoming debt free is your first priority. I don’t know what the gun laws are in CT, but in MA they’re strict, although we had no problems. Check with local law enforcement.

As to the rest, we did this over time: now I’m just getting around to learning how to garden efficiently, and then process the produce. Learning how to can, dehydrate and store. Hit the sales for food, join a wholesale club like BJ’s and double up on items. Replace what you use and rotate canned items. Start setting up a storage area that’s cool and dry. I found the following book to be very useful: Emergency Food Storage and Survival Handbook by Peggy Layton.

Hi,
    I’m reading a great book right now I just borrowed at the Hamden Public Library.. Making the Best of Basics Family Preparedness Handbook.

“eprepper’s Full Review: James Talmage Stevens – Making the Best of Basics:…
    Making the Best of Basics Family Preparedness Handbook 11th edition (see http://tinyurl.com/yll5ccw) can help put your mind at ease. It has checklists and tips that help you get better prepared.

The 11th edition is the culmination of decades of work and research. It is the bible of preparedness. James Stevens jam packs preparedness information into 27 chapters. The book is bigger than many phone books and provides you with the information you need to tailor a preparedness program to your unique needs.

How would you handle an emergency? What would you do if the power was out or an earthquake hit? What if you couldn’t work? Would you be ready? Things such as this happen all the time. If you want one of the best books on the market to help you prepare, then Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook is it; a must have for your library and your preparedness efforts.

The real magic of this book is the charts, conversion tables, and research that were put into it. One of the charts helps you to calculate your “Family Factor” so you know exactly how much food storage your family needs. No other book or food storage calculator does this. They just lump you in with some general number. James Stevens was years ahead of everyone when he created this.

Recommended:
    Yes “

I am thinking of Buying this book!!

http://www.survivalring.org/wordpress/making-the-best-of-basics-family-preparedness-handbook-paperback/

Lynda

I suppose there are numerous books one can purchase regarding this. Borrowing this is a good idea, maybe photocopying pages for reference?
    I’m starting my own little library with books such as these and highlighting the best information for possible later use.

mareeanns

This is an amazing resource! I’ve been preparing for years and now I have a community to find like-minded people with best practices! Thank you! Thank you for sharing!!

@mareeanns wrote:

This is an amazing resource! I’ve been preparing for years and now I have a community to find like-minded people with best practices! Thank you! Thank you for sharing!!

I love it here too! There are so many great people and all of them so far are caring and excepting folks that genuinely are helpful..

slwestermann

Hi there. I am Sandy in NJ and I just joined this list. I have been doing many things so that my family will be less inconvenienced on what I’ve been calling “the day we can no longer buy batteries”. Figured I’d introduce myself and then move on to reading the great wisdom here.

SERE-PRO

Hey all, I just wanted to drop in and say thank you for the people that has put this site together. I am new to the site and going to spend some time getting use to the topics, and the feel of the members. My overall goal is to bring another perspective, and broaded my horizon a little. I am sure there are some heated arguments and debate on here, as all the topics when dealing with preparedness and survival have to deal with the life of each and everyone of us. Any one out there that wants to talk or here my opinion please dont hesitate to PM me. I will do a quick intro of myself in another post. ~S

Dorfer

Greetings from the hometown of James Longstreet and Berry Benson.

FarmGirl

Hello all from the Peninsula of WA. I am new to this site and I am a Prepper for years but now I have picked up a few other ways of doing things after viewing this site.

FarmGirl

ReadyMom

@SERE-PRO wrote:

-snip- I am sure there are some heated arguments and debate on here, as all the topics when dealing with preparedness and survival have to deal with the life of each and everyone of us. -snip- ~S

:shakeno: Nope. Have to say that, so far … we have all been calm, civil, friendly and helpful. No heated arguments, that I can think of. I think you will find that this forum is unlike MANY that are out there, in that there is a common goal: TO HELP AS MANY AS WE CAN in a Family Friendly atmosphere of preparedness! 😀

Dorfer

Glad to see civility reigns here. I look forward to learning from the collective experience and knowledge of this group, and over time, I look forward to possibly making local connections as well. As many of you surely have experienced by now, us preppers may not be understood by those we know and love, so establishing LOCAL mutual aid and support networks can be a challenge.

sbsion

don’t take too much time…………it’s getting short………BUY NOW……..get ready………RU?…DO IT NOW

welcome to all the New Folks from Connecticut Preppers Network.. You are going to love it here..!!! :clap:

ReadyMom

@cityhomesteader wrote:

welcome to all the New Folks from Connecticut Preppers Network.. You are going to love it here..!!! :clap:

😆 Was thinking of doing the same thing, Bruce! There’ve been so many newcomers, its hard to keep up and say ‘hello’!

@ReadyMom wrote:

@cityhomesteader wrote:

😆 Was thinking of doing the same thing, Bruce! There’ve been so many newcomers, its hard to keep up and say ‘hello’!

I know it is great but daunting! 😮

Hope they all take the time to stick around and get to know us all.. I love it here and I am LEARNING!! Woot WOOT even have Connecticut Network running pretty good. Hope to Learn and grow in this field!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 1,277 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum