New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Welcome to APN! Forums Start Here Introduce Yourself New Members, Welcome to our forum!

This topic contains 1,248 replies, has 684 voices, and was last updated by  Cin 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,249 total)
  • Author

Marica

It can seem overwhelming. Just remember everyone here started. For some it was a gradual process, for others more deliberate. But we all started. Spend some time poking around these forums. If someone is tlaking about something & you feel clueless– just ask! One thing is there are a bunch of folks here who love to chat (I’m looking at you Kymber). And all of us firmly believe in APN’s motto– Freedom through teaching others self-reliance.

One more note– prepping isn’t just about storing up food. It’s also about learning new skills. Gardening, baking, not calling a handyman when you really could learn to fix something yourself. After you’ve looked around, you’ll see how people prioritize prepping. Of course, it’s different based on the individual, but you should be able to sit down with a pad & pencil and start jotting down what you need to do. Learn to bake bread. Build up 2 month’s worth of flour, yeast & so on.

As everyone has said, you’ve taken the first & most important step by recognizing that you need to DO something.

Muzhik

Greetings and Salutations! I, too, hail from heaven, AKA Iowa, living in the region around the People’s Republic of Iowa City. (Everyone involved in local government around here calls it that. They have a history of knowing the CORRECT way to do things, which we smaller ‘burbs should follow, because they know what to do and we don’t. You don’t think that’s one reason why there’s been no commercial growth there in the past few years, do you?)

Anyway, I started doing this three years ago. We had a freak ice storm in March that shut everything down for a while. Some of the people I worked with were without power for a week. As for me, when the lights went out I thought I was going to be fine, until I realized that the batteries I had bought that morning were the wrong size for my flashlight, and my candles that I had bought for Y2K had all “evaporated.” (I did find most of them, 6 months later in the back of a closet.) I figured I was safe as far as heat because I had a gas furnace until I realized the thermostat ran on electricity. Luckily, I could use my gas stove for heat (lighting with a match, because the electric starters didn’t work).

As soon as the weather cleared up, I started getting prepped.

kymber

Greetings and welcome Muzhik! a lot of us found our way into prepping through some emergency situation and experienced what you did during your freak storm. others here were raised prepping. and then we have everyone in between! it’s a great group here and i think that you will enjoy the forum. if you have any questions – just yell!

oh btw – love the tagline – teehee!

Muzhik

Thanks! Frankly, I thought it was my avatar that was most appropriate — putting up the bunnies for the winter… 😀

kymber

yer right – the avatar is appropriate and awesome too – but that tagline kills me every time i read it!

GertyGoose

Hello from Southwest Missouri… I am a NEWBIE for sure and everyone in the family thinks I have fallen off my rocker! I have started taking stock in what I already have without knowing it if that makes any sense.. I also have started my food storage but I am befuddled and really don’t know where to start..and we are on a VERY tight budget so I don’t know if this is something thats even do-able … Would Love ANY help,information, etc Thank you everyone and Many Blessings…
    P.S. I do can.. and I am planning on doing a garden this yr and I know … NO HYBRIDs 🙂

Muzhik

GertyGoose, Welcome! You might want to start by checking out Board index ‹ Preparedness Discussion ‹ Food Storage Tips & Recipes. There is a thread there called Another Food List. It has links to some really useful sites, including one that gives a food list for stuff you can buy off the shelf that will feed one person for one year.

A better place to start, though, might be the thread in Board index ‹ Preparedness Discussion ‹ Preparedness General Discussion called Getting Started. It starts out with the EXCELLENT advice to not panic. You don’t have to get everything done at once. Plan what you need to get, then buy one or two extra cans or bottles of it when you go shopping. In no time, you’ll have a nice stash of food. At the end of that thread is a list I had posted on another web site, because people there kept asking for copies of it. It’s based on current nutritional advice on how many servings of what you need to have each day, both minimum and recommended, for the basic food groups. Given the number of servings that are in a can or bag, you can then calculate how many cans or bags of something you’d need to buy to reach your goal.

kymber

Gerty…Welcome to the board! we are very glad to have you and if you have any questions – don’t hesitate to ask – we have preppers of all kinds here and someone will always be able to help…like Muzhik just did! thanks Muzhik!

Marica

Welcome, Gerty! [Insert what’s been said.] Preparing is not panicing, it’s planning & then executing. Do some poking around here & begin a “master list.” What do you need to *do*? What do you need to *learn*? What do you need to *change*? If you are on a tight budget, there may be things you can change– choices you can make– to free up a few extra bucks for seeds, or for an extra $ or 2 for beginning to stock up staples.

gunwinpark

Hello from Michigan! My family and I have been storing up and learning about why we should from the Crash Course website. I was disappointed with the local Michigan site, hoping to find some like minded people that could share ideas and maybe even friendship with. Most of our friends just think we are off our rocker!
    Anyone known anyone from Michigan?

kymber

Gunwinpark – Welcome to the board! Be sure to check out the Michigan Forum at the bottom of the home-page on this site! as well – check out the Michigan Preppers Network. and hey – it sounds like you have alot to contribute – why not start posting at the Michigan Preppers Network and see if you can find more like-minded people in your area?

Rod

Hello from Connecticut. My name is Rod and I am interested in networking with other preppers especially HAMS.

Marica

The state forums have only been up a couple of weeks. You should feel free to post there, maybe others will see when they “view new posts.”

kymber

Welcome Rod…we are glad to have you as we can always use more preppers who are also HAMS….make sure to check out the Emergency Communications section of this board! we look forward to your contribution there!

okmom

hello from oklahoma. I have been exposed to food storage all my life in a general sense (ie my father is rather paranoid), but it is alway good to learn new things. I am always amazed at how people in general just assume that bad things will never happen to them and don’t prepair. We’ve had bad ice storms the past couple of years and people always seem to be caught with their pants down. I just happened to be walmart last year the night before a big storm. The news had warned people, but what did I see them piling in their carts? Frozen pizzas and spagettios. The bottled water section was cleaned out, but the clean empty gallon jugs next to the water machine hadn’t been touched. I just don’t get it. My little house doesn’t have much room for storage, but I’m working on it. Hope to find lots of new ideas here and some fun people to talk to.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,249 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.