New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Welcome to APN! Forums Start Here Introduce Yourself New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 1,269 total)
  • Author
    bonefish

Greetings fellow believers…broadcasting from Florida, trying to get/stay prepared for whatever the world tosses this way. Looking forward to gaining more knowledge about prepping.

Laythar

@Gordon wrote:

My name is Gordon D. Fiedler Jr., a newspaper reporter in Kansas and a novice prepper. I want to do a story about the growth of the prepper movement and am trying to contact as many folks as I can who are just starting out or who have been at it for awhile. The story would focus on the “how,” “what” and “why” rather than on the “where.” I’d very much like to chat with you. You can email me at work at gfiedler@salina.com, or at home at gdfpef@twinvalley.net or call (785) 822-1407. Thanks.

Tell us a little more about yourself. How long have you been a novice prepper? What kind of preps are you focused on. Why did you decide to start prepping and what do you see as the thing you are most concerned about that caused you to start prepping?

Before we open up, perhaps you could start the ball rolling. You might be surprised to know that some in the media come on here pretending they are one of us and yet they try to make Preppers look like idiots and goof balls, sometimes they pick and choose what they want to cover to get that result in their final piece. Frequently they want to paint us as anti-government extremist.

I took the liberty of googling you for articles you’re written, apparently your conversion from Sheeple to Prepper is a recent change, so welcome aboard. Since you are one of us, fill us in on the details of your transformation from Sheeple to Prepper. As a writer it should be a good story, perhaps it should be the story you write? You could come out of the Prepper “closet” and tell your readers about how you came to prep and why you’ve chosen this way of life. I am sure that would carry more weight than some comments from anonymous sources on the web and you could advance the Prepper cause as a local person of interest.

Gordon
    Participant

Long story short: My wife and I are empty-nesters living in an underground house in the country, a dream since the first oil embargo (that will date us.) We have one dog, two miniature horses, a dozen chickens and too many cats (want one?) Since my college days, my main soapbox has been over-population/resource depletion: too many people chasing too few things. We’re both a product of the reduce-reuse-recycle era and have always tried to maintain a small ecological footprint. I thought we were well provisioned until a December ice storm a few winters ago left us powerless for nine days: No juice, no water from the well. So I started hunting for inexpensive, simple solutions for getting water out of the ground and into the house (in a controlled manner) for when the lines go down again. That’s when I stumbled on the host of websites and blogs about prepping/survival. Some of the stuff I’ll admit I thought was over the top, but the bulk of what I read made perfect sense to me, just for different reasons. As a result, we’ve started using some of these sites as guides and are in the process of stockpiling hardware and software (not the computer kind). Anyway, the more I read, the more I knew there was a story there. So, here we are. Anyone want to chat?

mmpaints
    Participant

Welcome Gordon! Come join us in the live chat, it’s full of people in the evenings. http://preppersnetwork.com/newprepperschat

Laythar

@Gordon wrote:

Long story short: My wife and I are empty-nesters living in an underground house in the country, a dream since the first oil embargo (that will date us.) We have one dog, two miniature horses, a dozen chickens and too many cats (want one?) Since my college days, my main soapbox has been over-population/resource depletion: too many people chasing too few things. We’re both a product of the reduce-reuse-recycle era and have always tried to maintain a small ecological footprint. I thought we were well provisioned until a December ice storm a few winters ago left us powerless for nine days: No juice, no water from the well. So I started hunting for inexpensive, simple solutions for getting water out of the ground and into the house (in a controlled manner) for when the lines go down again. That’s when I stumbled on the host of websites and blogs about prepping/survival. Some of the stuff I’ll admit I thought was over the top, but the bulk of what I read made perfect sense to me, just for different reasons. As a result, we’ve started using some of these sites as guides and are in the process of stockpiling hardware and software (not the computer kind). Anyway, the more I read, the more I knew there was a story there. So, here we are. Anyone want to chat?

Good story, nothing like a real life experience to put things in to perspective. Once the illusion of safety and security slips away you’re faced with the very real “what if” questions. What if there was a pandemic and citizens were unable to move freely to prevent the spread. How much food and fuel does the average family have stored to wait out a pandemic? What if key people die in the pandemic how will society replace those people and how long will it take? Some people store enough for an ice storm or a hurricane, but those are local disasters where help will arrive from somewhere else. What if the situation effects the nation or even the world? What if our modern life is decimated by an EMP event, either man made or natural in nature, how will you do the things we take for granted now? Preppers try to answer these questions, Sheeple continue to consume, accrue debt and use resources like they are limitless. A prepper recognizes that we have spent our entire lives in a bubble created by cheap plentiful supplies of energy and money, but those times are close to the end and when they go so will the illusions of safety and security, then we will test the metal of our humanity.

marshwillow

Moved here from Kentucky and I do belong there as well.I wanted to join the preppers of this area because some emergency situations are different from one place from the next.I do enjoy fellowship with fellow preppers and will glean all info that is pertinent to us here in my new home.

I just found this website and have never participated in a forum HELP!!! how do I get started?

Rod

@guessIMAprepper wrote:

I just found this website and have never participated in a forum HELP!!! how do I get started?

Welcome guessIMAprepper. You made your first post and asked a question so I think you are doing fine as far as participating. If you haven’t read much of the material here I would suggest you do some reading and do some searches to get a handle on things. Sometimes you can get a lot of information about a subject instantly with a search because it has been talked about before.

As for prepping, you need to ask yourself what your family must have to get by and then find a way to purchase and store that or a substitute safely. Most preppers consider electricity and oil to be crutches that will be removed at some point in time and $100.00 may not buy much food in the future.
    As for myself, i consider food and drinking water to be key and if everyone stored enough food and clean water to live through 6 months, then the future would be a much safer place with much less need for security to keep safe what your family needs to survive.

RogueHawk

Hello all, i’m glad to be here and hope to learn alot about prepping from the group. Thanks ~Rogue

From west central Arkansas. Prepping in practice for a few years, research phase was much longer…lol. Hoping to learn a lot here.

ReadyMom

@guessIMAprepper wrote:

Welcome! Try reading through this thread: How To Start Prepping (The Basics) -k

Greetings!!

Let me first say that it is reassuring to find like-minded folks. I’ve been feeling the need to prepare for “something” out of the ordinary, that would require advance thought and planning. With all of the unusual weather patterns, the financial climate, and what’s happening over-the-pond, I don’t understand how a responsible person is unaware that preparations need to be made.

Unfortunately, my husband thinks I’m a tad crazy at this point and that being a prepper is tantamount to being a UFO hunter searching out information on area 51…bla..bla..bla…. :cursing:

Just so you know, I have attempted to discuss and forward web links with him. He is of the impression as long as we have weapons we’re golden. While I’m not afraid of death, I do not want to suffer and die of thurst or hunger, or worse.

Any suggestions on experiences convincing your spouse to wake up and smell the coffee would be appreciated. In the mean time, I will prepare myself mentally and then physically. I’m 56 yrs old and realize I am not in the condition I need to be in to survive the unexpected. I plan on getting copies of documents all in one place in case of the need to “jump” and will work on getting my vehicle ready for my commutes.

Living in the Phoenix area currently and most likely will have to hunker down and stay. Should gas stations become unavailable, I don’t want to get stuck somewhere without provisions.

Thank you for just being here. :rolleyes: Cynthia

mmpaints
    Participant

Welcome aboard redhairedgirl and dont worry, there’s lots of us out here who’s better halves dont get it yet, LOL. He’ll come around. Enjoy the site

Naztdawg

Just wanted to jump in and say hi. I live in the Northen Va area, I’m new to prepping & I’m looking forward to learning from you good folk. Just like a lot of the newbies, I saw a show on Nat Geo that peaked my interest.

Syrinx09

Hailing from Northwest Georgia, I’m a greenhorn prepper , but learning tons from this site and many others. Feel kinda isolated though. That’s why I decided to join. I want to talk about my concerns for the future without being looked at like a kook! I’ve always been concerned about safety…my kids thought the car wasn’t able to start if they didn’t have their seat belts on! But, with the economy, our paralyzed government, climate change, societal changes, I’m getting downright scared. I’ve begun to stash food and other supplies and have ordered a water purifying system. It makes me feel better to be doing something constructive. We newbies need all the encouragement we can get! Lol!

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 1,269 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum