New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Welcome to APN! Forums Start Here Introduce Yourself New Members, Welcome to our forum!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,081 through 1,095 (of 1,269 total)
  • Author
    Hiker72
    Participant

@terrywqs44 wrote:

HI, I am from Tollhouse, California I am starting to learn how to be prepared but I am having trouble convincing my husband. We already live on 5 acres and I suggested we have a get together with our neighbors (4). He didn’t say anything and later said that he has his gun and no body will bother us. I don’t think he gets the scope or the size of what could happen. Got any suggestions out there? or anyone from the Central Valley of California? thanks terry 🙂

Welcome aboard!

There’s some good information in this thread about talking to the significant other –
    viewtopic.php?f=563&t=19793

itsadisaster
    Participant

Greetings from AZ to all our new members .. and welcome!!!!! Many of you may have already done it but, if not, consider popping over to your state forum at viewforum.php?f=36 and say Hi there too .. and ask specific questions there since often times this forum gets really full of introductions and requests might get overlooked since so many new peeps joining!! 🙂

@KKTREVAIL wrote:

Hi! We have just started to prep for any type of global disaster. I would love to know the best way to acquire food for long term storage. Is it cost effective to buy prepackaged meals or do it yourself. ie, can, dehydrate, freeze dry. Would love some advise. thanks, kk

Hi kk! Personally (due to my hubby’s health issues) we have to be extremely careful with prepackaged foods so we do as much as possible ourselves. (I’m finally getting a pressure canner next week – yippee!) But there are some long-term gluten free things we mix in with our homemade stuff. It would most likely be cheaper doing it yourself (plus you know what’s in it) .. but just depends on your time, capabilities and finances. But check out the APN Store they recently launched at http://www.store.preppersnetwork.com/ since they do have food stuffs! You also might wanna snoop at the Food and Water forum at viewforum.php?f=198 since it has all kinds of data about canning, dehydrating, etc. Watch for posts by Alaska Rose (my idol) who is completely self sufficient living off the land way up in Alaska. 😀

@Patscompound12 wrote:

I posted yesterday that I was new…and need help. Nothing. I have been doing extensive research, and I thought I could get some help. I am in NE Georgia, and am a serious prepper. Did not know that a community like this existed. I have been doing what I thought was right by my own +book research. Just discovered the internet realm. Thank you all, and if there is a person near me I would appreciate feedback. Thank You.

Hi Pat! I see you’ve already posted a note in your GA forum and that will be a much better place to get a response than in this “Introduction” subforum. We get dozens and dozens of new members every day lately so it’s been kind of busy here. Also realize not everyone logs in everyday (although many of us would love to) so it might take a little time for someone to surface. I’m only able to jump in a few times a week past several months so try to be patient, don’t get discouraged and try to be specific in what you are looking for or needing help with. Also sometime using key buzz words in the search box can one help find specific discussions. If you haven’t already snooped, a great place to start on this forum is at viewforum.php?f=616 and again .. start posting in your state forum if you’re looking for local contacts and someone should surface since GA forum is active. 🙂 itsa

PNWokie

Hello All,

I’m a newer prepper. We are a family of 4 with 2 small boys. When stuff goes down either Economy fully crashes, eatherquake or tsunami I want to be able to keep my fmaily of 4, plus my Dad and my mother-in-law safe. I have been modestly prepping for about a a year now. I’m getting ready for some sort of natural disaster where the west coast is pretty much SOL. We mostly have just food incase either my wife or I were to be laid off. But now that we own my own home I am ready to get more serious. We have our home in a rual town in oregon east of the coast range. Town of 1100ppl. I feel fairly comfortable here, but my father lives 15 miles away in the boonies (I like my neighbors, but I don’t think I want to trust them when it comes to survival) which we have come to the agreement that if SHTF my family will meet there. Small place with a well, gernerators and wood burning stove for heat. Bug out location is pretty much set. I am in need of some other basic prepping ideas. This is what I have now:

Water: 2 5-gallon camp water cans (blue ones with nozzles), and one reusable charcoal fliter, not sure of the name. Had it in my camping gear.

Food: My wife is a serious gardener/canner she does that every fall as we eat as much fresh fruit/veggies as we can grow in the summers and can them for winter. We buy tuna everytime we go to the store (50+cans). Have a couple boxes of mre’s (<50), Enough canned food to last a maybe 3 months. Lots of frozen beef and Deer (but that won't do much good if we loose power and I'm packing 100lbs of froozen meat when s**ts going down.

Fuel: 2-20lb propane tanks, 10-lb bottles of small camp stoves. 5 & 2 gal gas cans (2gal for mixed chainsaw).

Defense: 2-22lr (one scoped good to about 200yds the other opensights) 2000rds 22lr.
    Pump .410.. 200 shells
    .308 with about 100rds
    .38 S&W with about 500rds
    .45auto-200rds
    and 22lr revolver.

Medical: Several small 1st aid kits and one large “trama Kit” Assorted collections of letfover presrip Antibiotics and pain killers.

Misc: Random hunting/camping gear. Nothing I would want to survive for more than 3-5 days in the woods on though.
    Also have several Gallons of vodka and cheap whiskey for barter/trade if the grid is down that long.

I keep all of the MRE’s, most of the canned foods and water under my house (I have a very clean, cool and dry crawl space. I dump the water and refill it every 4 weeks)
    I am mostly looking to learn about food and water storage. How to survive with out a freezer and grocery store.
    Thanks and I look forward to all the info I can get!
    Lee

Turner

I’m the new guy here. I have been a prepper for many years here in NC. We started a survival group in 1984. Our biggest worry then was being invaded by the Russians. I hope to learn from you and tell you my mistakes and what I have learned. I hope to gather knowledge from you also. My background includes fire and rescue, EMT, deputy sheriff, police officer, police chief, NC State Militia, father, husband and patriot. Thanks for having me along.

Linda

I have been a prepper all my adult life, grew all my vegetables, chickens, turkeys (really dumb birds), lambs, beef and goats. Now we live in a city, so I need to do things differently. There is why I think this forum will be helpful in helping us decide what to buy to store our pantry, how to survive when the economy tanks, maybe civil unrest. I am positive we will be prepared come what it may. So you guys who are more experienced at this, tell me what are the first steps I should take. HELP! :help:

Lynda

@Linda wrote:

I have been a prepper all my adult life, grew all my vegetables, chickens, turkeys (really dumb birds), lambs, beef and goats. Now we live in a city, so I need to do things differently. There is why I think this forum will be helpful in helping us decide what to buy to store our pantry, how to survive when the economy tanks, maybe civil unrest. I am positive we will be prepared come what it may. So you guys who are more experienced at this, tell me what are the first steps I should take. HELP! :help:

Hi, Linda, and welcome to the forum. You can check into your state’s category and check the board index for topics you find will be of interest to you and that should address any concerns you have.

Hiker72
    Participant

@Linda wrote:

Welcome aboard!

I would start checking out the food, water and storage topics here –
    http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/viewforum.php?f=616

Hiker72
    Participant

@PNWokie wrote:

I am mostly looking to learn about food and water storage. How to survive with out a freezer and grocery store.
    Thanks and I look forward to all the info I can get!
    Lee

Welcome aboard!

I would check out the topics here on food & water to get going, just to be sure you do have the basics covered to your satisfaction –
    http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/viewforum.php?f=616

Now after that, it sounds like you might want to check out the sections here on Homesteading, Energy and Survival. Of course there is likely information in other area’s that can be of great benefit, so take your time and look around.

Hi everyone – I’m from Tennessee and am just beginning with prepping. My husband started talking about doing this and I thought he was crazy till I did some research. Love that I found this site!

wolf36

🙂 New Guy from SoCal – Hi Desert. Preping for Earthquake. Got about a month or 2 of food, water and supplies, just enough till OBAMA comes and rescues us. LOL 🙂

thebluekat

Hello all! So nice to meet you.

itsadisaster
    Participant

Hello from AZ turner, Linda, southerngal, wolf36 and thebluekat .. and welcome to APN! Glad you all found us and make yourselves comfy here. 🙂 itsa

Whisper
    Participant

Welcome to APN southerngal1208 wolf36 and thebluekat

Shepardart

Hi all, new guy here. curious as to find upload button to post pic. Would love to know source of best packed freeze dried foods.?/ 8)

itsadisaster
    Participant

Greetings Shepardart .. and welcome! A discussion in the “Support” forum explains how to upload images is at viewtopic.php?f=527&t=2946 .. you can also use the “Img” button if you know the link where image resides. Both ways have to be done thru “Full Editor” (not in Quick Reply box altho you click Quick reply button to get to Full Editor). Hope this makes sense. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1,081 through 1,095 (of 1,269 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum