Newest Book(s)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  NJMike 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

NJMike
    Participant

As an offshoot from the library topic, I thought it might be fun, and useful, to share what newest books people here have picked up recently, or if you already have all the books you’ll need, then feel free to share something you’re currently reading, as might apply to prepping.

My newest purchases in the past month:
    Chevrolet Silverado GMC Sierra: 1999 thru 2005 2WD and 4WD (Haynes Repair Manual)
    Backyard Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies (Bruton-Seal, Julie)
    The Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants (US Army)
    The Essential Guide to Cultivating Mushrooms: Simple and Advanced Techniques for Growing Shiitake, Oyster, Lion’s Mane, and Maitake Mushrooms at Home (Russell, Stephen)
    FoxFire Books 1 through 9 (Various, FoxFire Foundation)
    Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses, Tenth Ed. (Deglin & Vallerand)
    Power Tool Know How: saves you money (Sears Craftsman 1978)

Of the above, I’ve started into a few beyond browsing the pages.

The truck repair manual was purchased after I had a starter go bad recently, wanted to be able to better troubleshoot/repair on my own if need be. I just used the book yesterday to help with an AC recharge problem I was having and learned how to short the sensor harness to keep the compressor running for the refill. Now I have working AC again and didn’t get raked over at a repair shop.

I’ve read most of the mushroom cultivating book. It’s written from a very scientific perspective (I’m sure the author must have worked in a lab once, or was a science teacher). It’s more in depth with methods apart from the basic plug or bag of growing medium kits most people are used to seeing. It’s great stuff, however I won’t be applying that learning until after I’ve relocated to a place with room for a formal mushroom prep and growing area.

I also read about half of the first Foxfire book. Great stuff in there too. I really enjoyed the breakdown on log cabin building and uses of wood. I’m going to eventually make a carving bench that was described and pictured, mainly to get some future use out of several draw knives I’ve picked up at flea markets this year. It’s also motivating me to look for a second broader bladed axe and a wood adze, next time I’m out shopping the flea markets and antique shows.

So, what are your recent prepping book purchases? and/or what are you currently reading? If you’ve actively applied the reading to an application, I’m sure we’d love to read about that too.

ReadyMom

This book was shared by a Facebook Group that I’m on. It’s a good resource for beginners. Probably a good review for others. I found some recipes in Chapter 9 that I did not have, so will be adding them to my binders.

A Year Without the Grocery Store: A Step by Step Guide to Acquiring, Organizing, and Cooking Food Storage

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  ReadyMom.

NJMike
    Participant

Thanks ReadyMom, that book looks interesting.

I picked up two more used medical books today, Pharmacology for Nursing Care, and Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing. I also ordered the Joy of Home Distilling on Amazon, taking advantage of their Prime Deal Day.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.