October 2018 – What Did You Do to Prep This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion October 2018 – What Did You Do to Prep This Week/Month?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cin 19 hours, 44 minutes ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

IceFire

Starting off the new month. Haven’t done a whole lot, prep-wise, because I started a new job on Monday.

Cin
    Participant

I have family visiting, so I also haven’t done a whole lot prep-wise.

My parents took them to the Amish stores today, because they are preppers, too.

I have been sewing for Christmas gifting. Another gift I’m working on with a friend is a CD of us singing Christmas carols. He’s off visiting family right now, but when he gets back, he wants to dive right in. Entertainment is also a part of prepping, so I plan to sing along!

IceFire

Started cutting the polycarbonate panels salvaged from the greenhouse that got destroyed by the microburst, and getting them up onto the other greenhouse structure. Got 4 of the panels cut and put into place. Might have gotten more done, but ended up slicing of a chunk of the side end of my thumb while cutting the first panel, so had to take a break to clean and bandage it up. Made working on the remaining panels a bit more difficult, and a LOT slower going, since I was trying to keep pressure on the injury to try to stop the bleeding. (It’s still oozing a bit of blood, but not bleeding as much as it was originally.)

Cin
    Participant

I’m doing my handmade Christmas stuff again this year. Been sewing a lot. Part of the sewing is to declutter the enormous amount of fabric and space the sewing takes up. I want to get down to a reasonable level, work on one project at a time, and only have enough around for that project. I’ve been downsizing this are for nearly 20 years, due to having it often stored for years at a time. Now that I have it all out in the open, I realize I spend too much time taking care of this space, rather than actually working in it, due to the sheer volume of STUFF. So, as I’ve lamented before, I’m working hard to get all the projects laying around done, and to do the new projects (like Christmas and commissions), too. My goal is to get rid of the need for storage, sell the storage bins (I don’t need them for my LTS) and then pick and choose projects when I feel like it.

Husband is currently teaching himself HAM radio stuff. He is not sure he wants to invest in it, but he’s learning just for fun.

Temps are supposed to drop to freezing in the next week, so we are prepping for winterizing tools, plants and other things.

Cin
    Participant

Grocery shopping today (no yard sales, it’s raining).

Restocked all we used.

LTS:

Canned tuna
    Lightbulbs

Husband is still working on learning the ins and outs of HAM radio.

I’m getting commissions for sewing. I’m bemused, wasn’t expecting so many people would want a single item that I showed on one of my craft groups. I got 2 more commissions today.

Cin
    Participant

It’s bow season here. Yesterday, neighbor got a deer. He’s filled his freezer so he called and asked if we wanted it. Of course! Husband and I spent the day butchering.

Today, neighbor called again. He got another deer. Oh, my! Husband and I spent the day butchering it!

The freezer is full. If he gets another one, he’s on his own!

Cin
    Participant

Husband had his routine medical tests done on Monday, all is well. He is currently out mowing the lawn to mulch the leaves back into the soil.

I’ve made a couple more of the fabric goodie baskets, some for me, some on commission. They will be filled with baked goodies and handed out for Christmas. The money I make is going into my bus fund – I want to renovate a bus so we can continue to travel places without having to stay in hotels, and if needed, can be a spare bedroom when company comes, or someone unexpected has to bug-out here. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.