PECTIN

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    donba

How long is pectin good ? 😕 We have ben buying extra every time we buy. One is none two is one. 🙂 We now have about ten (10) boxes of powdered pectin. Can’t find andy kind of best buy or use by dating on the boxes. Also what is the best way to store, we have been putting our in a plastic box. Has anyone a better method ?

PeachOnEarth

soooo… i canned peach jelly this week.. it did not jel… so i followed the directions and RE-Did it.. .still did not jel… the liquid pectin i used was a few years old… so.. should you not use commercial ( Ball ) pectin or STORE it for later use?

Im not sure… i have a lot of liquid and powdered pectin stored… im thinking…..

The powdered will be safer than the liquid? for LTS?… your thoughts?

And.. what can I do with all this peach SYRUP i have???? grrrrr…

On a GOOD note.. i made Peach Fruit Leather.. that turned out AWESOME!

catfeet
    pelenaka

The American Woman’s Cookbook 1939
    In making jelly, it is necessary to know in general the proportion of pectin (natural) present, as on this depends not only the jellying of the mass but also the amounts of sugar that will be required.

Epsom-salts Test for Pectin
    To one tablespoon of cooked fruit-juice, add one teaspoon of sugar and one-half tablespoon of Epsom Salts. Stir mixture until salts have dissolved, and let stand for twenty minutes. If the mixture forms a solid mass or large flocculent particles, the juice will make satisfactory jelly without added pectin –

High Pectin Fruits
    apples
    citrus rinds
    crab apples
    cranberries
    currants
    gooseberries
    plums
    grapes
    quinces

Homemade Citrus Pectin – http://foodpreservation.about.com/od/Preserves/r/Homemade-Citrus-Pectin.htm

Homemade Apple Pectin – http://foodpreservation.about.com/od/Preserves/r/Homemade-Apple-Pectin.htm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum