Pennsylvania preppers sound off!

This topic contains 161 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  airborneben 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)
  • Author

IceFire

Who all is here in Pennsylvania, and what general area are you in? I’m in south-central PA.

ReadyMom

‘Central PA’ – been actively & publicly promoting pandemic awareness & preparation for the past 3 years.

IceFire

Nice to “meet” you! What county, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m in Cambria.

ReadyMom

@readymom wrote:

‘Central PA’ – been actively & publicly promoting pandemic awareness & preparation for the past 3 years.

Cumberland County. Other than that, I try not to get too specific, given the public work I’ve been doing. 😎

IceFire

@readymom wrote:

@readymom wrote:

Cumberland County. Other than that, I try not to get too specific, given the public work I’ve been doing. 😎

Completely understand that! Due to where I work, try not to get too specific either. Nice to get a general vicinity, though, in case anyone wants to do a “meet-up” at some point down the road. :mrgreen:

ponymama44

I am new – and am in NEPA (susquehanna co). Everyone I know thinks I am borderline for stockpiling, expanding the garden, buying more ammo, we even have our own cow and chickens, pigs, goats. Anyone else here in PA doing that too?

IceFire

Stockpiling, expanding the garden, buying more ammo, yep. Can’t have cow, pigs, or goats where I am (not sure about the chickens) but am trying to talk my husband into letting me do rabbits. When the subject first came up, he initially said “no”, because he didn’t want to do the killing/butchering, but after I said that I’d take care of that, he’s starting to consider it.

ReadyMom

LOL. Closest I’m coming to meat is the home canning of meat that I taught myself. That’s a good alternative option. -k

Happy New Years everyone:
    Just joined a few minutes ago because it was the first time I heard about the Preppers Network. Not the best with computers and searches but here I am and meant to be here. I also live in South Central Pa. outside of York and been preparing for years on all levels. I feel that our Spiritaul Connection to all of Creation is the most important part of the changes taking place, but we also have to eat and take care of ourselves.
    I live where I live for a reason I have farms all around me,plus I also live in a old stone farmhouse. My heart is telling me we are in for a roller coast year getting worst as it goes on. My heart is also telling me that small communities are also needed for survival because all skills will be needed. My Native American teachings taught me much and my connection with the animals will provide me food. I do keep a few months of supplies on hand at all times, plus oil lamps,propane stoves and other needed supplies.
    I feel it is the heart of man that will see them through all things that happens in life. I been following the Earth Changes since the early 90’s and worked with many on all levels. I wtote 2 books about the changes but all keeps on changing right before our very eyes.
    I am glad I finally found people from my state to work with and hopfully will understand me.Have a Happy and Safe New Years.
    Love and Blessings Always:
    Dave

DaveP

Hi – I’m one of the http://pennsylvaniapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false bloggers – I’m from Pittsburgh, so my focus is more the urban survivalist angle.

I’m into expanding the garden, basic food preservation, living in the city with utility outage, saving money, and stuff like that…I don’t know much about canning, etc, and PA farmers and rural types are already more self sufficient than the populations of many states, so I also try to address the financial/economic aspects of various collapse scenarios.

This is a work in progress to develop specific recommendations, preparations, and counters to every imaginable scenario – input very welcome!

Please consider these topics:

Risk Analysis and Preparation Levels – every area and situation is different, and will affect your preparations. I hear of people buying guns with no food and people with years of food isolated in the country with no way to protect the house. I present a framework to analyze the different types of disaster events for better allocation of scarce home resources.

http://pennsylvaniapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/02/risk-analysis-and-preparation-levels.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Radiation Fallout Preparation – you don’t have to build a concrete bunker to prepare…you could be pretty well prepared for less that you spent on that iPod.

http://pennsylvaniapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/02/radiation-fallout-preparation.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Here’s a pretty interesting interview with Gerald Celente on Alex Jones on 2010 predictions – he cites survivalism as a rising trend:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVztXmX3uiA” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

I look forward to working with all of you to help our communities become more self sufficient!

DaveP
    PGH PA

parannoyed

Ok, so I happened upon this site, and had to join. I’m up in the Tioga/Potter county region. Not as set as I’d like to be, but about as much so as funds will allow. Didn’t store up alot of food like others, since it could prove to be more of a hindrance than a help if the SHTF. Instead, I taught myself what to eat in the wild, that way I can always find fresh foods, plus whatever meat sources happen to be available. I’ve put a fraction of money most put into food into books and have nature as a buffet:)

ponymama44

Located up in N/E Pa. Susq. Co. Have a small family only farm.Looking out for #1 right now. Really just waiting for it to hit the fan.Kind of curious to know if there is any kind of a Pa. militia. Mite be interested in something like that.

IceFire

Dave, nice to have you here! I’m “kind of” in your neck of the woods…Cambria/Somerset County area.

Wow, with your experience, you should be dropping by the “Disaster Survival” forum here, and adding that info!

IceFire

Welcome, parannoyed! I know a LOT of us are not as “set” as we’d like to be. You’re right…you do what your funds will allow. The main thing, though, is to realize the NEED and to start DOING something about it! Anything is better than nothing!

IceFire

Ponymama, I am SO jealous of you having a farm! Eventually, that is what I’d like to do, but right now I’ve got to focus on building up food/supplies (to include self-produced and preserved foods) and paying off debt. After that, I’ll be socking money away for a homestead.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum