Pennsylvania preppers sound off!

This topic contains 161 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  airborneben 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 162 total)
  • Author

ReadyMom

@recon wrote:

In Mechaincsburg. Found this site thru this one. http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.php?30414-Fox-news-Prepping-in-Central-Penn 😀 Member there too.

Hi recon and Welcome! Aaaahhh … that prepper would be me, in the interview. I just read the comments on your link, above.

It was a stupid remark by that reporter and I wasn’t happy about it, either. I even mentioned to her that I have concern for the safety of my family in a serious event.

She actually asked me how prepared I am compared to the poster that I had available (Yes … it was a poster, from my community work in pandemic & emergency preparedness And NO those are NOT photos of my pantry. They are photos I pulled off the internet about three years ago!). My answer to her was that my family is prepared to get through an event lasting at least two weeks. She DID clarify that I had 2-week preparedness for my family on the 6pm edition of the news.

And, unfortunately, they also used my whole name. That was my stupid mistake. I have done interviews before, and asked that me whole name not be used. I forgot this time. 😮

Good to see a fellow prepper in the Central PA area! -k

recon
    Participant

Sometimes the MEDIA can twist the info to there advantage. I don’t trust them that much.

IceFire

Welcome aboard, Recon!

PlainJaneDoe

South Central PA resident here, Franklin County
    I’d like to say my knowledge has improved greatly, since I joined how ever long ago (and then forgot to come back) BUT I still don’t know much about what I’m doing. I’ve always been a city girl with a family that is rather shopping centered. My husband grew up on acreage, though (they didn’t farm it themselves, but traded land use with a farmer for hunting rights.)

We live in a town, so no livestock other than a few Rex rabbits -I’d like to get some Flemish giants, but they aren’t so easy to get a hold of- tbh, I’ve never butchered one, but I suppose I should learn. ((The local ordinances are a bit strange. Chickens only if you keep them inside (I’m not that desperate and doubt DH would allow it, anyway. So, we get our eggs mostly from a West Virginia co-worker.) Pigs are allowed, if they’re pets.))
    We live on 1/3 acre and what isn’t building or parking, we’re trying to grow on… I have to say, I mostly just plant seeds and watch ’em fail to thrive and then die, but I’m getting a bit better.

I guess the summary would go a bit like this: In my 30’s trying to teach myself all the things I wish I’d learned before: canning, gardening, knitting, crochet, sewing, all the while driving my husband crazy and trying not to let a 13 year old boy drive ME crazy! We have to-do lists that are miles long and we spend most of our time avoiding those lists. I’m good for making everybody else seem better off. 😉

So, HI from my neck of the state.

recon
    Participant

All right another PA prepper! Welcome! :clap:

ReadyMom

Hellooooooo Franklin County! Glad to have you on board! We’re ‘neighbors’. Well, kinda .. since our counties border. -k

PlainJaneDoe

Well, thank you for the greeting!
    And “Hello, Neighbor!”

I don’t know that I could be considered a prepper just yet, it’s more like a clutter, atm. I need to get sorting and listing and toss the useless items, being a packrat hasn’t been as handy as I thought it would be.
    It probably isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things, (except to a softie like me) but I realized I have not prepared for our pets (dogs, cats, rodents, etc.) The cats could probably fend for themselves, but our dogs are the loyal, dependent, dumb kind.

The site has a lot more stuff since I registered way back when, so I imagine it will take me awhile to dig through it all. Don’t mind me and I’ll try to stay out of everyone’s way.

Thanks again 😀

PAfrogmom

Hi PlainJane and other PA Preppers. I am from Southeastern PA (Montgomery County). I still can’t believe how much info I’ve found and learned on the boards from fellow members. I ‘ve already moved my PREP binder up to the next size to accomodate all the new info. Now, if only I could wave my magic wand and get more help from DH and kids. But til then, slow and steady wins the race.

PlainJane, I get you with the clutter. I never realized how much stuff I had around the house until I started organizing and pulling it all together. I printed a couple of prep lists I found from this site and others and try to get a chunk done each day (more if I have the energy).

PlainJaneDoe

The binder is a really good idea, PAfrogmom!
    Any information I may have is scattered, what with a box of magazines here and another there by a disorganized bookcase. My bookmark folders are full and I have a few different unnamed desktop folders that I will print screen to. If I’m feeling really on top of it, I may copy and paste to a Word doc.

Do you have different binders per topic e.g. Food, First Aid, Gear?
    Or is it easier to color code for each person and/or topic?

ReadyMom

@plainjanedoe wrote:

The binder is a really good idea, PAfrogmom!

PlainJane … a binder is almost a ‘must have’! If the power is out, you won’t be able to get to computer files. I have about 3+ binders full of info collected. I’m in the process of making a hard copy of all the info from my EHP site so that I have it at fingertip ready. It’s also a great resource for your family members who don’t know as much as you do/will. -k

PAfrogmom

PlainJane- do check out ReadyMom’s EHP site- it’s got ton of info (PS Thanks for great work as always ReadyMom).

I personally have a big 3 ring binder divided up with tab dividers into relevant sections. All pages are stored in sheet protectors to keep it nice and tidy. I have a backup of the entire binder in a big oversized envelope and its separated into sections by those monster jaw clips. I still have lot of info to gather , print and learn/study, so like ReadyMom, I am sure I will quickly add additional binders soon.

I personally get “stuck” after awhile when prepping- I get so overwhelmed with sheer amount of knowledge and info and what STILL has to be done. When that happens, I have to remind myself to step back, take a breather and reorganize by looking at what is a PRIORITY.

PS-don’t throw away those magazines just yet. If the SHTF, may be able to use them for TP if you ever run out LOL. I have done the basic prep for our 1 pet, a cat. He has his own ER carrier and supply of food aside. I didn’t put together a separate PET 1st aid bag like some suggest as I have a multiple well stocked 1st aid kits in our supplies.

PlainJaneDoe

My apologies to ReadyMom, I have already been overwhelmed (as PAfrogmom mentioned) with links to various blogs, stores and other forums, so I put myself on hyperlink restriction until I learned how to digest it all properly.
    I will certainly check it out. (tomorrow!)

I have trouble remembering what pain relief is suitable for cats versus dogs (they’re opposite, one can’t have aspirin, the other no tylenol) so I really should mark our bottles since we have both rather than wasting time consulting a reference.

sprintfan11

Hello from Juniata County! Glad to join like minded folks, looking forward to sharing and learning.

recon
    Participant

Welcome! :clap:

:gunsmile:

BIGJFR41

new member, married 50+ years, 4 years us army 2 years in jungle training survival course many years ago, born 1941 remember post depression times, going back to those days less of the tech. now more basic needs! and a lot of faith, cancer survivor. walking with back pack weight, being ready to relocate on foot. knowing where to go and where to spend nights? (MAPS) in n.e. pa. looking to head north when all hell brakes and it will, not by road that is for sure. hay love to hear from you all thanks and God Bless

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum