Pennsylvania preppers sound off!

This topic contains 161 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  airborneben 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 162 total)
  • Author

rkluskie1

Hey from Dauphin County! Since Jan 22, 2011 we have…… completed 2 72 hour kits based on The Survival Mom’s list, have a great start on our food storage, purchased 300 canning jars from craigslist, purchased 14 – 55 gal food grade drums for water storage – cheap, his and her self defense, stocking up on ammo, got approx 50 free 2 1/2, 3 1/2 & 4 gal food grade buckets from our local bakery. Had a get together with our friend’s grandchildren and our grandchildren and sampled a boatload of MRE’s and freeze dried foods to determine what the kids would eat, reading, reading and more reading all the great information on this site. Today, packaged 50 lbs of rice for long term storage…..Just keeping busy like the rest of you!

Ronin4hire

Beaver County checking in-
    Planning this seasons garden now, will try starting seed more than buying young plants
    Need to incorporate rainwater storage barrels from the downspouts
    Trying to find “reasonable” prices on meat to can before it goes higher and higher

Guess also I will break down and join the local gun club-
    Was a professional Firearms Instructor in a past career, just havent popped caps in a while
    Might be able to put together a lesson or 2 for folks if theres local interest?

UncleJoe

York Co.

Cutting and splitting a lot of firewood before gas gets really out of hand.
    Getting the garden ready to grow everything we possibly can. With food prices on the rise we want to avoid the store as much as possible this year.
    Stocking up on the things we can’t grow like sugar, salt, certain spices, tea, cocoa, TP and ammo.

SafetyMom

Busy preparing garden, dehydrating fruits which are on sale, canning meats, just continuing to stock. Doing a lot of research on water storage and expense. Also, looking into getting a couple chickens but having a hard time convincing hubby since he is a born and raised city boy. Networking on the As a Mom website.

yaHalyna

@icefire wrote:

Cambria county. Found out that BOTH of us will be losing our jobs as of the end of September, so got busy sending out resumes and putting in job applications. Had an interview (via phone) for a job in another state—should hear later this week. Also SERIOUSLY cut back on spending to save as much money as possible, so doing more eating out of “preps” (still have plenty, though). Paid off a bill, and will be paying off a second one in a couple of weeks. Going through several years’ worth of accumulated “stuff”…deciding what gets sold, “freecycled”, or junked…downsizing in preparation for moving to relocate for jobs. Got 2 vehicles transferred into kids’ names, and got them off of our insurance (a few hundred dollars’ savings there alone).

ICEFIRE: MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU. I’m single and have had the threat of losing my job for the past 2 years now. If I do, I’m stuck here. But you just might be able to find a job ‘out there’ somewhere that is more self sufficient (I’m yearning for a mobile home on a little bit of land). Bless you, but I hope you end up being better off than most of us who are stuck. My prayers go out to you.

yaHalyna

@ronin4hire wrote:

Planning this seasons garden now, will try starting seed more than buying young plants
    Trying to find “reasonable” prices on meat to can before it goes higher and higher

Was a professional Firearms Instructor in a past career, just havent popped caps in a while

HEY RONIN4HIRE: I’m game. You can put me down for lessons. I haven’t gotten my gun yet but plan to follow your advice in training before so I can learn what kind of gun is best for me.

ReadyMom

@yahalyna wrote:

@ronin4hire wrote:

HEY RONIN4HIRE: I’m game. You can put me down for lessons. I haven’t gotten my gun yet but plan to follow your advice in training before so I can learn what kind of gun is best for me.

This is something I’ve toyed with for a while…. taking lessons. This way if a gun is handed to me … I’ll know what to do with it! Not sure where to go to get lessons. I know someone whose job requires a gun and I’m thinking of asking them. -k

jwander

@davep wrote:

East End of Pittsburgh here near the zoo.

Have:

Anyone interested in starting a PGH-Prep Meetup group?

For sure! PM me when you get a chance. We should definitely talk!

Josh

gypsy276

Hello from eastern Bucks County!
    Making immediate preparations for heavy rain and flood warning in this area.
    Suppose to start tomorrow night into Friday. I am not concerned about the river but
    the old drainage system in the area cannot handle the increase water flow with heavy rains.
    The street sometimes floods with 2-3 ft. water but so far has not reached the house.
    The sandbags are ready just in case.

Currently in progress
    1) Expanding garden
    2) Finishing window and yard barriers(OPSEC)
    3) Continue to stream line and “clean house”sell,barter,give away and donations
    4) Stocking up on expendables: TP and personal hygiene, medical supplies etc.
    5) Finishing water collection system
    6) Saving for dual fuel (gas/propane) generator
    7) Getting more hand tools –Craig`s List is great!!
    8) Always reading up on and practicing skills: Water treatment, first aid, preserving etc.

:thumbsup: Best of all: Nearing 3-month supply goal!

Good luck to all and Keep on Prepping!!!

munchie3409
    Participant

I feel your pain Ice. I lost my job two weeks ago. The economy is taking it’s toll on millions.

On a side note, I saw you were on another SF forum in the chat room. I should have gone into the chat room to talk to you. If I see you in there again, I’ll stop in and say hi.

@icefire wrote:

Found out that BOTH of us will be losing our jobs as of the end of September

IceFire

@munchie3409 wrote:

I feel your pain Ice. I lost my job two weeks ago. The economy is taking it’s toll on millions.

On a side note, I saw you were on another SF forum in the chat room. I should have gone into the chat room to talk to you. If I see you in there again, I’ll stop in and say hi.

@icefire wrote:

Found out that BOTH of us will be losing our jobs as of the end of September

I actually started on that forum several years ago, before I found APN. I still keep up a bit on the other one. I’ll look for you in the chat.

Matriarchy

Newbie to this website, but not to preparedness I am rebuilding our food storage after eating it down during a financial setback. Bought a lot of peanut butter, tuna, canned beans and pumpkin, cooking oil, vinegar, flour, and oatmeal this past month.

Scavenged a lot of heirloom squash seeds last fall, swapping for bean and melon seeds. Getting ready to start seeds for my expanding garden this summer. “Farming” a family member’s sunny hillside as well as my own lot. Recruited two neighbor’s food waste and grass clippings for my compost pile. Looking for barrels to adding more rain barrels. Building up bug-out bags. Sealing sugar in buckets. Thinking about storing more “trade goods” like coffee, chocolate, and whiskey. Recently gave a workshop on personal food security to a lot of high school seniors heading for college. Building a brick rocket stove this summer, and working on more ways to cook without gas/electric. Scored a new Weber grill on Freecycle. Scavenged a lot of fire wood left in neighboring yards by winter ice storms. Added a 14″ cast iron skillet and a cast iron griddle to my collection. Collected a dozen new food-grade buckets from a bakery. Found a clean gas can at the first yard sale of the year. Networking with a group planning to start an urban farm near me.

ReadyMom

@matriarchy wrote:

-snip- Recently gave a workshop on personal food security to a lot of high school seniors heading for college. -snip

WELCOME Matriarchy! Want to share what county you are from, so we can map your location? See this thread: What PA COUNTY are You FROM?

Also for the college students you may be interested in this thread: Prepping for College Students -k

yaHalyna

DaveP wrote:
    East End of Pittsburgh here near the zoo.
    Anyone interested in starting a PGH-Prep Meetup group?

I’m in Beaver Falls….I probably could participate, (though I really dont like the drive – & I always get lost). but keep me on your list

Southern York County here, checking in.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum