prepping for pets

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  ReadyMom 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

catlady9143

At the end of the world (etc etc) our beloved furfaces will be right beside us! Having said that (most emphatically), what should we be storing to keep them alive and healthy? What is the best way to keep them safe should the litter hit the fan and we have to aggressively defend ourselves? Most emergency shelters won’t accept pets, so what are our options if it comes to evacuation? Are there any forums that specifically discuss pet-related issues?
    Animal lovers stand together!

mandmneal

Im looking for the best way to prep for the dog. Any one know how long Dog food will last in the orginal bag or re bagged into a zip lock bag? Im putting some of his food in our 72 hr bag along with a leash but Im unsure of the best way to preserve the food. Tell me what youve done for your fido.

galnextdoor

I have two dogs that are middle aged and in good health (one slightly overweight after neuter). I usually feed them dry dog food. They get one bowl of dry dog food and then they would usually drink 3 to 4 bowls of water each throughout the day. I got some wet dog food on sale and I started them on it a few days ago. Now they only drink about 1 to 1.5 bowls of water each per day. I guess the dry dog food must take a lot of water to process. I just thought I’d let people know. If you have an emergency where water is very limited feeding your dogs wet food will reduce the amount of water they need. Just an observation.

Pam54

I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me.

Are plastic garbage cans (30gals) that are LDPE 4 safe to store dog food in? I am building up my dog food supply but I also need something that’s a bit more of a barrier to the house mouses we have (little buggers!)…they are too smart for the common mousetraps I set. Also, are the clear plastic recycling bags ok to use in the cans with dog food?

Lostfalls

I have written a new article for the American Preppers Network website that covers most of the questions I have ever received on this subject. Since there have been a few questions on here about it over the years I wanted to post it here too – maybe it will help someone out. It’s a subject that is important to me so I doing what I can to get the information out…

“The best way to protect your household from the effects of a disaster is to be prepared. If you own pets you are responsible to prepare for them as well. Many disasters could cut off your access to more pet food from the store. A prolonged power outage could keep the stores closed, or they may already be sold out. Storing some extra food for pets is essential for their health and well-being.
    As a pet and livestock owner I have researched and tested out various ways to store pet food. The easiest approach is to store what your dog or cat currently eats, that way you can keep the food in rotation and nothing is ever wasted. Start by building up a three-month supply of pet food and work your way up from there. Here are five recommendations for storing emergency pet food…….”

Click here to read more –> http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2013/02/pet-food-what-to-store-and-how.html

FussyOldHen

I only want responses from people who have pets. The rest of you who have no pets, only half-baked theories and farm animals, please pass this thread.

If things really go downhill relatively fast, what do you intend to do with your pets? Have you stocked up food and intend to hold onto them as long as possible? Do you plan to put them down? Turn them loose to fend for themselves? Save them for eating later?

I see a dilemma coming up, and wonder if you have any ideas that I haven’t thought of. 🙁

tamtbell
    Participant

Hi all,
    Anyone have any success storing cat food for ltfs?? I just adopted a new beautiful little friend and now I’m concerned about food for her.
    Anyone have any tips? (besides mylar & o2 absorbers)

TuapekaGold

Hi all,
    Is it possible to make a complete type of cat biscuit or food that will store, instead of buying and storing expensive tins and biscuits?

ReadyMom

MERGED Posts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum