Prepping Goals for 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Genevieve
    Participant

What are your prepping goals for the coming year? Myself it’s:

Learn to pressure can
    Buy and set up rain water barrels for the garden
    Expand the garden by either adding more beds or using large containers
    Can more veggies and fruits
    Plant raspberry bushes
    Use a solar oven instead of the gas oven

and to extend the goals even further, my “icing on the cake” goals for this year would be to plant a small orchard with dwarf trees and to get some chickens

how about everybody else? Or are you so self sufficient that you can do nothing now and just reap your rewards?

Marica

As many of you know, we recently made THE move. Left our urban farm which was smack dab in the middle of Cincinnati & bought 60 acres here in NE Mississippi. So I feel like I’m starting all over again.

We’ve gotten the homemade wine making back in operation, so that’s a check. And since we moved in (late October) we’ve gotten a 2-month supply of canned goods & staples built up, so that’s a check. Next goal there is a 6-month supply. But… there’ still so much to do:

1) Use some Christmas money to buy a generator.

2) Build up fuel supplies for the generator (before gas goes back up)

3) GARDEN. First mini-goal is the herb garden. Then more citrus trees. (We ate our very first home grown grapefruit on Christmas day. Man. Life is good. But we need more dwarf citrus.) Then design & plant the orchards. Start the seedlings for the early spring garden.

4) Figure out what it will take to convert the sheep shed to a chicken coop.

5) Replenish ammo.

6) Figure out how to convert the pool house into a passive solar greenhouse.

7) Plant the food plot for the deer.

Augh… so much to do!! What am I doing sitting here yacking away?? Oh …

Raspberries. Geneviere, we had raspberries in Cincinnati. A truly excellent investment. There’s nothing quite like homegrown fresh (frozen) raspberries. Do blueberries, too, if you can. Both are super easy and you will never regret it.

kymber

Excellent topic Genvieve!!! and you and Marica are way ahead of me and hubby….we have planned to sit this afternoon and tomorrow and discuss all of our goals for 2010 and then write ’em up….i’ll be back later to share our goals…it is really helpful to see yours and Marica’s….gives me some ideas!

thanks to both of you….and i can’t wait to see everyone else’s goals….again – great topic!

mmpaints
    Participant

My goals are to increase my harvests across the whole garden and to can/dehydrate even more than I do now. Another goal is to aqquire a Jersey milk cow so i can make cheese again on a regular basis. Another is to get my orchard replanted and to improve my blackberry patch.

Slaw901

My goals for this year are a bit expansive.

1. I want to expand my “covert” chicken tractor to allow me to house more chickens. (I live in a town that has a ordinance against chickens.)

2. Build my shop with passive solar heat and water heater.

3. Improve the soil and thereby improving my vegetable harvest allowing me to

4. Can enough food to relieve at least a good bit of my grocery bill

5. Purchase more ammo

6. etc…

roolu

1) Find out how to build the “covert” chicken tractor so the landlord doesn’t know I have chickens.

2) Plant more trees for the orchard.

3) Harvest more from my garden so that I can can/store more food.

4) Improve my hunting skills.

5) Stock more ammo.

mmpaints
    Participant

For those of you lving on rented ground or in apartments, there are several types of fruit trees that do well as potted plants. They are hard to move of course so a wheeled plant dolly is a must. Also, don’t discount the amount of food you can produce with container gardening. A half barrel on a dolly can produce you a good portion of your grocery intake.

To imporve your hunting skills, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Practice practice practice.

Sorry, i have no advice for hiding chickens.

Slaw901

I don’t know how much attention your landlord pays but here is an option:
    http://www.henspa.focuspage.com/hencondo.htm” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Ldychef2k

I just started prepping in June of last year, but went totally OCD about it and have way more than one year’s worth of home canned, commercially canned, freeze dried, dehydrated, frozen, and dry good storage, as well as four alternate cooking and heat sources, stored water, two cords of personally cut firewood, and all the amenities that a total girl (actually, a 60-year old grandmother) would need to live comfortably when the SHTF. As I inventoried my preps, it occurred to me that on an income just above the poverty level I had done all of this prepping, and with the economy and the projected costs which will be passed on to me by the new administration’s policies, I might have to live on a whole lot less pretty soon. You know, like “the more money I make, the more taxes I pay”?

So, I set a goal for 2010 to live off my garden, my jars/cans, etc., and allow myself only $50 a month for milk, eggs, etc., as well as gas for the car and all supplies for living and gardening. AND — I have to replenish the preps that I use with what’s left. In other words, I have to be creative and resourceful. I call it my austerity challenge.

Speaking of garden, this is the first one I have ever planted, so the learning curve has to be VERY steep or I will fail…..

kymber

Ldychef2k – i just checked your blog and you are freakin’ awesome!!!! Welcome to our forum and man i am excited about your contribution here! you are leading by example and that’s what we need more of!!!!

everyone – check out Ldychef2k’s blog – you’ll be glad that you did!

oh – as to your goals – wow! and as for the garden….i honestly don’t think that you will have ANY trouble. but if you do – no worries – we have some of the most expert gardeners in the world here and they will always be on hand to answer any questions for you!

Wingnut

1. PAY OFF DEBT
    2. Scrounge material and build a greenhouse
    3. Expand my heirloom seed collection
    4. Outfit our house we just moved into with 2 woodstoves. Currently has a fireplace but I want to put in a woodstove insert. Am going to look for used once spring hits.

ponymama44

1. Expand garden
    2. Learn to dry foods
    3. Learn to make cheese
    4. Start hoarding hand tools
    5. Buy more Ammo
    6. Figure out cold frames or a greenhouse for 2010/2011 winter
    7. Save my seeds this year
    8. Learn to can meat instead of freeze it
    9. Try really hard to get solar panels up for atleast the electric fence and freezer units
    10. Teach the last 2 horses to drive and finish the bigger wagon we want.

Ldychef2k

Thank you SOOOO much ~! I am honored that you took time to check it out.

I am going to need a LOT of help, especially now that I have Super Gopher and his condominium complex.

Thanks again….

@kymber wrote:

Ldychef2k – i just checked your blog and you are freakin’ awesome!!!! Welcome to our forum and man i am excited about your contribution here! you are leading by example and that’s what we need more of!!!!

everyone – check out Ldychef2k’s blog – you’ll be glad that you did!

oh – as to your goals – wow! and as for the garden….i honestly don’t think that you will have ANY trouble. but if you do – no worries – we have some of the most expert gardeners in the world here and they will always be on hand to answer any questions for you!

ponymama44

love the blog Ldychef
    25 every 2 weeks will be hard but you sound tough enough to do it!

1. Continue to fortify security perimeter around BOL by creating a few more “choke points” to funnel would be assailents into their impending doom, also works well for wild game. Expand existing motion detection access points to 14 from 10 around perimeter and re-establish monitor and maintence goals for equipment and personnel.

2. Excavate soil and debris from new Privy site at the BOL and build new privy structure, with some creature comfort upgrades.

3. Fell more trees, section, and split in order add two more cords for 2011-2012 usage.

4. Increase supply of common ammunition and silver/gold bullion. As well as renewal and rotate out antibiotic and fuel supplies.

5. Add two more additional 100 gallon LP tanks to BOL.

These are my goals for first half of 2010.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum