radiological prep ?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  NJMike 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

A quick scroll of the topics list here don’t appear to include much in the way of radiological defense, monitoring or sheltering discussions, focusing mostly on EMP based scenarios, I’m fairly new to this board, but I’ve done this prep thing for a long time. Perhaps I’m not looking in the right area for a candid discussion as to what I ascertain as ‘ the ‘ big threat, which I still believe is a possibility so, please indulge me if I’m not in the right area, and if I am, may I be so bold, ask why the shift in focus for a more clear view of others thoughts on this topic.

TRex2
    Participant

Picking up this topic because, if there were any answers to it last year, they were lost in the software changeover.

You are right that there isn’t much discussion on radiological threats. In a limited nuclear disaster, the radiological threat will be local, and there are measure you can take to enhance you chances of survival and to reduce the damage the radiation will do to you (if exposed, even if you are in a reasonable shelter, you will take damage).

There are five general areas of countermeasures you can take to protect yourself.

Airway protection. If exposed to fallout with no protection, most of the damage will come from radioactive dust that you inhale.

Shelter. In the initial few days after fallout occurs in an area down wind of a surface detonation of a nuke, there will be a lot of radiation. After a few days, this will diminish greatly.

Food and Water contamination. Food needs to be protected from any radioactive dust that comes in the form of fallout. Surface water needs to be filter or even distilled to remove radioactive contaminates.

Iodine tablets. One of the more vulnerable organs in your body to radiation damage is your thyroid, and it is vulnerable because it requires iodine, and radioactive fallout contains radioactive iodine. Flooding your system with iodine will limit how much radioactive iodine reaches your thyroid.

Bugging out. One of the best ways to limit exposure to radioactive fallout is to be somewhere else.

If anyone wants to further discuss the how to’s and the tradeoff’s involved in any of these areas, fire away.

dmwalsh568
    Participant

Not sure if any of my posts on the matter survived the great transfer/purge, but one item that seems to be missed too often is how do you KNOW you’re in the midst of a radiological event? If you can’t detect it, then you don’t know you need to reduce damage from it.

Having access to civil defense meters and dosimeters will be critical to know you’re experiencing an event and what your risks are. Dosimeters let you know how much radiation you’ve been exposed to over time, so you can know when to limit your activity in a hot zone.

I have both high range meters and low range meters, so I can tell when I need to get into our shelter space. And one of my high range meters has the detector on a cable that I can extend outside the safe space to measure outside conditions. The low range meter is for detecting residual fallout after washing so you know if you need to scrub some more…

One thing I will disagree with TRex on – bugging out. If you’re downwind of a nuclear explosion, then you have minutes to get to a shelter. Even a modest shelter will be more protection that getting stuck on the road when the fallout arrives….most folks will be better off sealing up windows and piling up books, etc to put more mass between them and the outside. Then wait a few days before seeking better shelter. And remember that if you’re in a shelter space with lots of other people that human bodies are good at absorbing radiation, so put the women and children where they will have the most protection. Middle of the space if all the walls are outside walls, or at the back of the shelter if only one wall is an outside wall…

NJMike
    Participant

We had a lot of discussion on this previously, but yes the forum change left much of that off the table.

One suggestion in terms of prioritizing radiological prep is determining your risk. War aside, a disaster event at a plant may be more likely. Knowing proximity to nearest nuclear power plants, and wind direction in case you’re downwind, would be worthwhile.

I agree with having some detection gear on hand. That could be something as simple as dosimeter stickers/badges to dosimeter test gear.

Personal protective equipment, and means to seal up for shelter in place, as well as iodine tablets (like IOSAT) would be items I consider important to prep.

Doing a bit of research on fallout and radiation would be something else I’d suggest. Weather conditions and type of nuclear blast contribute heavily to amounts and distribution of fallout. There’s a lot of information online if you don’t mind reading and deciphering white papers.

I’ll add one website that I found useful:
    https://www.remm.nlm.gov/

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  NJMike.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.