reloading question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    keysbottles

I’m a newbie reloader and have a question about casting my own bullets. Will bullets that I cast from wheel weights cycle through a semi-automatic weapon?

straightshooter
    Participant

I guess I wouldn’t want to experiment. A catastrophic failure is a really bad thing. Be particularly wary of reloading cast bullets for use in a Glock because they have hexagonal barrels, not rifled, and will fail if you shoot cast bullets through them. There are lots of bulk bullet sellers with quality projectiles at reasonable prices, so why would you risk lead poisoning from the fumes of smelting lead? It’s just not worth it, to me. I guess if you’re going to be shooting a smooth-bore musket, otherwise there is nothing to be gained and a lot to lose.

Legion489
    Participant

Yes lead bullets will function through pretty much any firearm that will work correctly with jacketed bullets.

Glock has a hex rifling that builds up leading. So fire a jacketed bullet every five rounds through the gun to get rid of leading, or get a regularly rifled after market barrel to use lead bullets.

You CAN buy cast/swagged lead bullets from various makers, copper plated or other coated bullets as well at pretty reasonable prices. However a lot of people like casting bullets and do so for fun. You can cast bullets you can’t buy and of course if you cast (have moulds and lead) you will always be able to make your own bullets when you can not buy them at prices you can’t buy them for.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum