Safety

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    edea1976

Being the paranoid person that I am, I wonder if anyone can advise me on finding trustworthy people to join a group. The group that I belong to is mostly family and a few friends but 75% of our members like to come to monthly meetings, write down websites and other info and then never actually do anything. My DH and I would like to find some people that are serious preppers. We are rather paranoid about sharing too much information with people who won’t prepare for their own needs but who, when the fecal matter hits the ventilation system, know how much work we have put into our own preparations.

mmpaints
    Participant

edea, I also find locating people with true intentions in our area. I too have found people that simply wish to use you for what you know and do nothing for themselves. It’s tough to overcome. I know there’s got to be some genuine folks out there but I don’t know how to find them either. I too am wary of people having had some unpleasant experiences myself, even with close neighbors who are not what they want others to think they are.

I’d be happy to meet up with you and your hubby somewhere, sometime. A nice casual chat, a get to know ya kind of thing. And, also, come spring and planting time, my farm is not very far from your area…..

ponymama44

remind anyone of the Aesops fable the Ant and the Grasshopper?? I have a small list of like mindeds around us and we don’t talk to many about what we do beyond those borders. I am wicked psyched to finally find others to ask about how to do stuff with out blowing my proverbial cover.

kymber

i am so glad to see this happening edea and Mmpaints! i hope that you guys can meet up and get to know each other and start a group. this forum rocks!

ponymama – yes it sure does. and here’s hoping you can find more like-mindeds here at the forum to add to your group!

Marica

This is a great subject. I think we all are a little paranoid about meeting strangers. It’s an excellent self-defense mechanism. But on the other hand consider that everyone you know (except family) was once a stranger.

I tend to be a little more in-your-face about prepping. Not belligerent, mind you, just open & public about the fact that we are smart enough to be paying attention and to be preparing. I certainly don’t go into great detail about what we have, etc. to “strangers.” But I think it’s important to remember the motto of APN– something that really speaks to me: Freedom by teaching others self-reliance. Hard to teach when you’re under cover. But that’s just me. As many folks have already commented here & on other threads– the cool thing about this network is that it is populated by people who respect folks. If you don’t want anyone to know you have potatoes in your basement, far be it from me to tell!

mmpaints
    Participant

I used to be too Marica. People remember that kind of stuff and show up looking for handouts. they don’t want to do anything or give you anything in return, just want something for free. Everything I do here takes serious effort and nothing comes without a price. lessons learned are hard to ignore.

D_Loki
    Participant

To borrow ponymomma’s analogy, I think how open you are about your preps, is dependent upon how many “ants” are around you. Those of us in urban areas have good reason to be more cautious with whom we can intelligently AND safely speak about our own preps. Let’s face it, there are more, lazy and “entitled” people, living in and around urban areas (more ants). Rural communities tend to be tighter knit and dependent upon one another for simple existence and day to day activities. In a disaster, rural communities are more apt to band together to overcome, urban areas tend to expect someone else to fix the problem. So with that, the question remains how to find like-minded individuals that you can cultivate relationships with?

Since it is harder on the folk in urban areas (and the fact that I live in one myself) I throw my 2% of a dollar there. Start with friends and family. You already know more about them then you do strangers. You know the hard workers, those of faith, the slackers and the complete losers. You know where they all live. Now you don’t have to explain your all out plans, but using the gubbermint/FEMA guidelines, you can ‘ask’ if they have done any of this, if they had any plans. If they have a garden, talk to them about gardening, hunting with hunters. If any have necessary skills (e.g. doctor or EMT) let them know you want to build a good first aid kit for your car or home. The point is “feel” them out. You may be surprised to find that more of them are preparing just like you. As time goes on, you can take classes with them. You can invite them to forums. If it is a gardening friend, direct them to a “great” gardening forum like on here. That way they may have more of their inner grasshopper coming to the surface. Like prepping, cultivating prep/survival relationships, takes time, dedication, and great perseverance. If you get the “feeling” that they’ll be a good addition to your prepping plans, definitely spend more time with them. Offer to go in on purchasing in bulk. Take a primitive camping trip. Talk about wanting to ‘get away’ from the urban sprawl.

When it comes to strangers, be very wary of online preppers. The type that is not better than armchair quarterbacks. They KNOW what you NEED. They KNOW the ONLY way to do it. They have books, a gun, web page bookmarks, a wally world first aid kit and a case of water in their closet. What they don’t have are skills, true determination, or the ability to help you in any real way. This type would be the first at your door with their family when the disaster strikes, (right after your unemployed/ex-con cousin with his junkie/hooker girlfriend). They will be the one to give you up if it means a benefit to them (unfortunately this hold true for family too).

If you’re dealing with someone you met at a gun show, or through an ad, or any other means. You could feel them out the same way you do your family/friends, only slower and more judiciously. If they rub you wrong, or give you a bad feeling, pass them up for serious cooperative efforts. However, do not miss out on the opportunity to gain knowledge or skill from someone who may offer it. These people do not need to know all your plans. They do not need to be shown your stores. They need to know ONLY that you’re interested in something they have to offer or trade.

Remember, your base instincts can judge someone as a good or bad choice, but their true nature and placing them in a situation is the only way to know exactly how they will act. This holds true for them, as well as it does for you.

mmpaints
    Participant

That’s excellent advice loki and people often ignore thier “gut felling” when dealing with or for something they think they need or want.

kymber

that is some really excellent advice Loki….however – just to let everyone know – prior to joining the APN/CPN – i was never a member of any other prepping or survivalist forums. i checked into a few boards as a guest just to try and gather information but never felt welcome enough to actually sign up and meet anyone. i also checked out a lot of homesteading blogs like mmpaints’, phelan’s and a bunch of others…i learned a ton of info! and that is how i found the APN/CPN!!!

once i found the APN/CPN…i felt that the people involved had a wonderful goal and mission – to share info and teach others – it was so different from the other sites. i jumped in whole-heartedly because the people were so inviting and inclusive – no judgement about where you were in your preps – everyone was there to help. in just the last year, we have really upped our emergency preparedness and prepping and we are so much farther ahead because of all of the help and info that others on the network so willingly shared. and i am certain that is was because of the info that i learned on the network is what pushed us to finally get a homestead that we will be moving to full-time in the next 1-2 years.

i guess what i am trying to say in a long, drawn out way – is that sometimes through some crazy kind of miracle – you can meet others who are like-minded who are not afraid to share their knowledge and are not afraid to befriend you. i remember very clearly what MMpaints said to me once – she said “kymber, if i can do it – anyone can do it”. i have never forgotten that!

so please…protect your privacy. don’t go broadcasting to the world how much stuff you have stockpiled. but if you come across a site like this one, where the people are incredibly earnest and willing to share – don’t be afraid to befriend and share information with them. i use my actual name here and at the CPN blog…i am trying to demonstrate that we don’t always have to be second-guessing other people’s motives.

i am thrilled to be a part of this network and i have met actual friends here. people who might be thousands of miles away but if they needed help – i will try my best to help them. because i know that i have actual friends on this network who have already helped me and if i needed them – they would come running in a second. i needed help getting the CPN up and running – i had Tom, Bullseye, Riverwalker, WVSanta and Humble Wife jump in and help me – i have never met any of these people in person – and they have much to do in their own busy lives – and yet they helped! this is only one example but you are probably sick of reading this by now.

so to end…this is a great place to be. and the majority of people here are earnest in what they are doing and earnest in what they are sharing. they care. and they want to help. don’t be afraid to pop out of your bunker and share some info here. we are all here to help. and we all care.

Marica

Good advise above. The distinction between urban & rural is particularly insightful.

edea1976

Thanks for the replies everyone. I live in the US with my hubby and 3 kids while my parents and brother are in Canada. It eases my mind knowing that my parents have always had an enormous pantry loaded with food. My brother married a farm girl, so I know he’ll be fed. I do worry about their safety since they have no self-defense weapons better than a sharp bread-knife. But they are all in a rural area, and there is a HUGE difference between rural and urban.

MTJoe

My only problem with rural areas, and I have lived in them, some pretty isolated, Is the fact if a group of bad guys are going on a bender, it can be very hard to defend. While working a horse in a round pen while in South MO Ozarks I had a guy pop up out of the woods who stated he was lost, it didnt fly with me as even a 10 yr old could have got back to the main road by turning around and just following the creek back to the hwy. But as I am always armed, he understood very fast I was not a easy mark. Meth cookers, buyers, and suppliers were very big in the area, not to mention honest to god hillbillies were all over the area, so I gave him the drink of water he asked for and sent him on his way, on foot, down the gravel road. If a gang of three or more came to the old homestead, it would be a difficult defense to say the least. I live in town of a small community of about 3K, and have created a very defensible house!

kymber

edea…i would say that you could stop worrying about your parents and brother – they will do fine in canada and i don’t mind saying that in the event of S Hitting the Fan – many Canadians will step up to the plate and save our seniors as well as ourselves. your brother is okee-dokee if he married a canadian farm girl. and one strange thing that shows a real difference between canada and the US is that most canadians don’t need a firearm to feel safe. trust me. if your brother is in a rural area there are several people in the area with hunting rifles and they will all ban together in their village if the need for that happens.

its crazy but here in canada we trust our gov and our military – yikes – i know that sounds crazy to most Americans!!!

and MTJoe….ugh buddy…i would hate to deal with that kind of stuff! you really do need to sneak across the Saskatchewan border.

IceFire

I’m fortunate enough to live in a semi-rural area (enough so that deer and bear are regular “visitors” to my yard/neighborhood.) Given that, most people around here hunt, and have at least SOME food packed away (except for the welfare deadbeats down in town–I’m NOT talking about involuntarily unemployed here…I’m talking about those folks that don’t even TRY to get a job, and are content to pop out one illegitimate kid after another so that they can continue to get a “free ride” off the backs of those of us who DO work), as well as a fairly sizeable Amish and Mennonite community. BIG difference from urban areas where most folks (there ARE a FEW exceptions) don’t even TRY to be prepared…heck, a lot of them don’t even have 3 days’ worth of ANY kind of food in the house, thinking that they’ll just run down to the corner deli for a meal. WHen the supply lines get cut off, it’s going to get REALLY ugly in the urban areas.

kymber

IceFire – i think that we all agree with your thinking! the urban areas are going to go down and go down hard – it is NOT going to be pretty at all! that’s why i recommend that all urban people prep and have several back-up plans. the most important plan being – find others and start a group! not everyone can afford a BOL but a group of people can! or a group of people can take over an apartment building or warehouse or whatever. there is a reason for the saying: strength in numbers!

if you are stuck in the city and don’t have family or friends or a group – find a church! churches are a great place to start groups. and they offer much solace in time of need – even if S hasn’t hit the fan!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum