Safety

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    AFSG
    Participant

If you have 75% of your people getting together monthly use that as a starting point and expand on what you have. What we have done was ask each member teach a class on some topic on a rotation basis. The topic could be anything survival related. It worked like a book report from high school. Getting your members involved in what you are doing builds interest and takes away from the “just another meeting” feeling some members have. Membership selection has been covered well on the other posts. Always make first few meetings with perspective members away from the group as a whole. Old friends and family are always the best because these folks are already in your circle so to speak. Choose your new people with care.

kymber

excellent advice AFSG!

Jericho

Finding good people is HARD. This lifestyle takes effort. That effort is expended over TIME.

No doubt about it…… if you want to find good people, it will take time and effort. Even when you’ve come to contact the right people, you won’t know that you have until time has passed – enough time for them to prove themselves. I’ve been bit by seemingly honest people that I’ve known for years. The pressure came, the juice got squeezed out, and it was as sour as can be.

It takes time. Like when looking for a mate. Because, ultimately, you’re not looking for a “group”, preppers or people that think like you. You are looking for RELATIONSHIP. Any connection to people for mutual support, that falls short of real relationship, is a risk I will not place upon my family, with whom I have real relationship. Things can go from bad to ugly when your support group realizes that smiles and hand shakes won’t feed their own people. Instead of good friends, you have well-informed enemies.

Take your time, so someone else doesn’t take your preps, family and life.

I’m in central California. With all the people around, you’d think we could find a few. Hasn’t happened yet. Oh, we’ve located people that are concerned, and even talk about doing something, but all have proven to be dry wells when putting talk to their walk didn’t happen.

I’d love to find some people out here that have the stones to do what they say. Still, I’m moving ahead with my family, and if we have to go it solo, so be it. I won’t let isolation (ideologically speaking) stop me.

kymber

Jericho – i couldn’t agree more with what you are saying – it IS hard to find the right kind of people for a group and it DOES take time. i like the way that you put it – it IS a relationship and one that hopefully will last a lifetime! however…being that you are in California…have you checked into the California Preppers Network on the APN blog (tab up above – top of the page under the motto)? there are some really good people over there! also be sure to sign in to the California forum at the bottom of the mainpage here.

we are glad to have you and glad to have your advice! thanks for sharing all of this!

mmpaints
    Participant

Well, I intend to make some serious changes in the way people around me think this year. I intend to wake as many as i can up to what’s going on and how easy it is to feed themselves.

edea1976

Good for you mmpaints! The more people who can provide for themselves, the fewer people will be looking for handouts… or looking to just take it!

djinco

Excellent points made here. Some forums are so full of “experts” they are actually of no value for information. I just found this site and I hope to listen and learn from all ya’ll.

MTJoe

djinco, welcome, and I think you will find we all know a little about a lot, but each have our strengths and weaknesses. We are regualr folks from all walks of life and back ground. Glade you found us!

Rod

I think an exchange of preps, in order to preposition/protect some of your preps in case of fire/building collapse or flood, is a good way to show interest/intent and build trust among members of a mutual assistance group. This serves several real purposes and it shows the real interest that a person has. If a party can’t put together a metal trash can with some long term storage food, vitamins, clothing and tools or if the other party doesn’t trust enough to store this trashcan in a safe manner on his property, then the assistance will be very minimal in any emergency.
    I hope this is clear. It’s easy to just say sure you can stay here if you have a disaster and your house is unlivable but when it comes to replacing the food and actually trusting people, living together can get impossible fast. Let me paraphrase: If I am to be a member I should pack a metal trashcan with food and clothing to exchange for a trashcan packed similarly from you or another group member. This amounts to a valuable cache, that doesn’t have to be dug up, and should only be given to someone that you trust. The larger the group the more of these caches the members can have scattered around their AO.

This is an idea that you can mention and if there is no interest then they are likely just a internet prepper or they don’t really trust you enough.

kymber

Rod…that’s a really interesting/great idea! let’s see if we can’t get some folks who live in the same area to try to work towards doing this!

Vina8

I have really enjoyed this thread. I agree with Jericho and the rest of you. It is about building trust and a relationship. Slow and cautious. Who knows, they may already be prepping or at least interested in learning more.

Alaska Rose
    Participant

Wow, I would say everyone here has put a lot of thought into this and rightly so. My neighbors a couple of miles down the road have already stated they plan to show up here if they can’t go to town. They have lived out here over 30 years, and haven’t a clue or interest in even trying to take care of themselves. I had thought living so far from a town, that they would have a rudimentary interest or knowledge for being prepared. I was wrong.

mmpaints
    Participant

LOL Rose, some people just don’t have the mental capacity for taking care of themselves. What they said was” if something bad happens, we’re gonna let YOU take care of us because we are either too lazy or too incompetent to do it for ourselves”. welcome to the 21st century.

Alaska Rose
    Participant

Yes, maybe growing up in a nineteenth century household had some good points. We were also taught to never turn our back on a potential enemy or someone with their hand out expecting it filled for nothing. We have had guns all over the house since we were all babies, and have a healthy respect for how they are to be handled and what is to be done with one. If you don’t intend to use it, never point it, if you do point it, intend to use it, use it with the intent to kill.

Well thought out points from everyone.
    I’ve lived within the same general area (within a 25 mile area) for approximately 21 years with the exception of 2.5 years I lived in Orlando. I cannot say that I even have a “close” and “trusting” friend who lives near me… There are 2 people currently who I trust, one is a prepper, one is not, but they both live over an hour away and I don’t see either one outside of work.
    The area I live in, is an expensive coastal town who all think they’re better than everyone else because their house is on the water… *sigh* I would love to be able to have meetings nearby, even an hours drive would be fine, on a somewhat regular basis, just to talk, exchange ideas, and such. Shoot, I’d even “host” them! Maybe soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum