Sauerkraut and Sauerruben

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    kymber

The recipe for making Sauerkraut (cabbage) and sauerruben (rutabaga) is pretty much the same recipe – and is very easy to make. It’s also a very good way to preserve some of your cabbage and rutabaga after harvest to get you through the winter!

What you’ll need:

5 Gallon Crock with rock and lid (i have seen recipes on the internet where people use 5 Gallon Food Grade buckets, plastic wrap, a rock, plate and a towel! and it works just as well.)
    3 Tablespoons of Kosher or sea salt per 5lbs of vegetable (Do not use table salt!)
    Wooden spoon to stir/mix (i use my hands!)

What you do:

Shred your cabbage/rutabaga with a mandoline, food processor, cheese grater or chop by hand – just be sure to make the slices wafer thin.
    After you have 5 lbs of veg, sprinkle the salt over the veg and stir (or mix by hand) to release the brine. Pack into your crock.
    Continue for every 5 lbs of veg.

Once you have packed all of your veg in the crock, press down on the veg with your hand to make sure there is enough brine – the brine has to cover the veg completely. If you don’t have enough brine you can make a weak brine solution (2Tablespoons of salt to 1 Quart of water) and add only as much as you need to completely cover the veg.

Put crock rock on top, add a little water to the gutter and place the lid on top. i always put a towel over the lid also.

Leave the crock in an area where the temp won’t be higher than 75 degrees or fermentation will not take place! Leave for at least 4 weeks but i usually let mine go for 6 weeks.

After 4-6 weeks, remove from crock and either refrigerate, freeze or can!

Enjoy!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum