Self Reliance – Self Sufficiency – Self Self Self

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cin 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Illini Warrior
    Participant

here’s an article that’s probably one of the better that I’ve seen in a year or two – 100% on target – and it just happens to preach my mantra ….

your preps are just a stop gap – a hedge – until your self sufficiency plan can kick in and then help fill gaps on those lean months ….

when a SHTF hits – no matter how minor or serious – don’t take it at face value – it can and most likely will get worse by other SHTFs adjoining and compounding together … an initial 1 month predicted longevity suddenly is more like 6 months or longer …

How to Survive When Prepping Just Isn’t Enough

IceFire

So true. My “preps” (stored food, water, etc.) ARE just a “stopgap” measure…that’s why we bought our acreage and are working on moving toward self-suffieciency/self-reliance. Already have MOST of the garden in place (can always add more beds/expand the fenced garden area), have the mini-orchard mostly planted (except for a few trees that I am still trying to find) have started getting the livestock (cattle, goats, chickens, ducks, etc.), beehives set up and first batch of bees in and building comb, etc.

Still need to get the vineyard planted, but that has to wait until after August, as we need the area for something else; working on getting the well on alternate power, and a few other items; but we area making steady progress.

IceFire

Found “bacon seeds” (i.e. piglets) of the breed I’ve been looking for within 50 miles of me. Made arrangements to get a couple after they’re weaned (different litters–male out of one litter, female out of another.)

Another step closer…

Cin
    Participant

We also use our preps as a stop-gap. We are learning as much as we can about gardening, wild game, butchering, and so on – the skills our forefathers used to pass on to the next generation. We’ve had failures, and we’ve had mistakes, but we’re learning now, so if there’s a disaster, we can cope.

We are blessed to live in farm country, where people are already self-sufficient, and the Amish live nearby. We’ve not invested in livestock for the moment, because it’s all readily available with neighbors. We trade goods and services back and forth, between all our skill sets, so even if something happens, we’ll have those things to barter.

I’ll say it again – good neighbors are a must when you want to be self-sufficient. People will have things you want or need, and if you have things they want or need, it’s a win-win.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.