September 2019 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion September 2019 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    IceFire

Happy September!

Brought our bull calf home today. Spent yesterday morning repairing the feed room wall (goats had knocked one of the panels off so they could get in.) We put the old panel back up and secured it with LOTS of screws, and added screws to the adjacent panels as well, and put up panels on the OTHER side, so when they jump against them (or butt their heads against them) they won’t be knocking them loose.

IceFire

Loaded up the horses and took them to their original owners at their new place. Also made two batches of mozzarella.

IceFire

Did a commissary run to replace some of what we used, and made more cheese.

IceFire

Started pulling the corral apart this morning – pulling T-posts, taking down panels, etc. T-posts and panels will be re-used elsewhere, although some will be used to create a bull pen that is separated from where the “dairy pen” is by about 30-40 feet – we’ll park the trailers (horse/stock and utility trailers) to the back in between the two – and some will be used so that we can make a “chute” for loading/unloading animals.

Daughter and I also salvaged 2 tractor bucket loads of cinderblock from the foundation of the old house that was removed – we’ll re-use those for building frames for garden beds.

Went and picked up more hay and chicken feed, and paid for 20 cattle panels for fencing the orchard (to keep roaming livestock and daughter’s dogs out, and leftover panels to build the front gate “chute” to keep roaming livestock and dogs from escaping whenever we need to go in and out with vehicles.

Now I need to go make another batch of cheese.

IceFire

Started pulling the corral apart this morning – pulling T-posts, taking down panels, etc. T-posts and panels will be re-used elsewhere, although some will be used to create a bull pen that is separated from where the “dairy pen” is by about 30-40 feet – we’ll park the trailers (horse/stock and utility trailers) to the back in between the two – and some will be used so that we can make a “chute” for loading/unloading animals.

Daughter and I also salvaged 2 tractor bucket loads of cinderblock from the foundation of the old house that was removed – we’ll re-use those for building frames for garden beds.

Went and picked up more hay and chicken feed, and paid for 20 cattle panels for fencing the orchard (to keep roaming livestock and daughter’s dogs out, and leftover panels to build the front gate “chute” to keep roaming livestock and dogs from escaping whenever we need to go in and out with vehicles.

IceFire

IceFire

IceFire

IceFire

IceFire

IceFire

IceFire

IceFire

IceFire

Made 2 batches of mozzarella today. Decided to experiment and use animal rennet instead of vegetable rennet, and see if there was any difference in yield. The animal rennet DID give a higher yield than the vegetable rennet.

Currently have some feta in the works – it’s currently in the pot on the stove.

Also harvested a bunch of the milo heads. Once I get the seeds off of the heads, there should be at least a couple of pounds’ worth. That’s WAY more than what I had to start.

IceFire

Took the car in to the shop this morning for some Preventative Maintenance–oil change, replace engine air filter, and replaced the battery that was starting to leak acid. Figured it was better to replace it NOW that wait for it to fail when I could least afford it to.

Also worked with husband and daughter to add to the fencing in the goat/cow pen…blocking the area behind the shelter so the little brats can’t get back there and get their heads stuck in the wire fencing behind the panels. We also set up where the new gate entrance will be. We’re expanding the side out into where the horse corral had been then moving the front back a bit, so that we have an easier time driving past there.

Also went on a hay run to pick up another 4 bales. Goat doe is now giving a quart per milking, so that amounts to about a half gallon a day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum