Soil Blocking & Seed Starting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    CoM

Anyone here use the soil blocking technique to start seeds?

I plan on trying this year. Supposedly, there are many benefits to using this method and I am aiming for an even more productive garden this year.

Check it out. The tools are a bit expensive but will last a lifetime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31urzDs09zU” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

kymber

Com – my hubby’s mother swears by this method….i personally have not used this method (i use the MMpaints baggy method!) but would be very interested in hearing how it works out for you! please let us know!

I’m looking at that too..I read Elliot Colman’s books and he has been using them for years. They seem like even though pricey at first they may be will save me money and work out well for my style of growing.. I am going to be sowing in a warming bed, moving under shop lights and then hardening off in my small green house.. I’m looking into producing my own seed starting compost.. Anyone do that?

ZumM

Ok, I’m gonna have to do some research. I have NO idea what it is. Going to have to find out. ( I can’t stand youtube. Much rather read about it. Books don’t take batteries.)

Wingnut

@kymber wrote:

Com – my hubby’s mother swears by this method….i personally have not used this method (i use the MMpaints baggy method!) but would be very interested in hearing how it works out for you! please let us know!

Can you boil down the “baggy” method to the Readers Digest version? I find starting seeds to be the most painful part of gardening. Once they get going I enjoy gardening, but I have a hard time getting them going.

ponymama44

I had not heard of blocking either but my initial searching brought me these. I think I am going to figure out how to make a block maker.
    http://www.pottingblocks.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false this site is a commercial producer/retail spot for blocking equipmant. I liked it because it shows many different styles and forms.

There was a really good description (after some self-back patting from my pal Martha) on http://www.marthastewart.com/article/from-my-home-to-yours-seed-starting” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

ponymama44

Thanks Topper – he shows how to make home made blocks wicked cheap from stuff you can find around the homestead
    http://www.members.tripod.com/toppertwo/soil_blocks.htm#Tools” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

mmpaints
    Participant

cool ponymamma. I just had a conversation over at freedom gardens about this very thing. I might even look into it since I will eventually run out of pest pellets, some day anyway, LOL.

kymber

@Wingnut wrote:

@kymber wrote:

Can you boil down the “baggy” method to the Readers Digest version? I find starting seeds to be the most painful part of gardening. Once they get going I enjoy gardening, but I have a hard time getting them going.

Wingnut – MM is queen of the baggy method but since she taught it to me last year i have had great success! it goes a little something like this:

1. use peat pellets. moisten them until they expand to full form.
    2. put your seed(s) in as deep as is recommended on the seed packet.
    3. pinch the tops closed.
    4. place 3 peat pellets of the same seed type in a baggy.
    5. seal the baggy.
    6. place baggies on window sill or in a tray near a window.
    7. wait for seeds to come up. once seed comes up, leave in the baggy until they outgrow the baggy.
    8. once the seeds outgrow the baggy – repot into a container or into the ground.

i used this method last spring for all of my seeds – darn near close to a 100% germination rate. here is a post that i did about the baggy method with pictures:

http://novascotiapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/04/yay-for-spring-and-seedlings-update.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

i hope that this helps!

idahobob

I’m gonna do a bit more research on the subject, but this sure looks like something I need to be doing. As we live in an area with a fairly short growing season, with the danger of late frosts into the first part of June, transplanting is the best way to go with most veggies.

For years I used jiffy 7 pellets to start seeds, but the last couple of years, it has been fairly un-successful, to say the least. I even tried using heat mats under the trays, but no, things just did not work as well as in the past.

So, I probably will make an investment in this equipment and hopefully things will start much better.

Bob
    III

kymber

Bob – did you use the pellets and the baggy method? i swear it really worked for me!!!

my hubby and i are doing a bit of an experiment this year…we are going to cut toilet paper rolls in half, cut four slits in the bottom of each half, fold in to make a bottom, fill with a good dirt/compost mix and then drop 3 in a baggy and wait for the seeds to sprout. i will be taking pics of the whole process and posting it on the CPN. when i do i will come back and put a link here.

ZumM

@ponymama44 wrote:

Thanks Topper – he shows how to make home made blocks wicked cheap from stuff you can find around the homestead
    http://www.members.tripod.com/toppertwo/soil_blocks.htm#Tools” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

OH! Those are soil blocks. I had no idea thats what you call them. I use those all the time for starting seeds. We have a country store around my area called D&B. Last year at the end of the growing season they had piles of them left over. for what ever reason they didn’t want them so I bought a box of them for $5. ( I would guess there is maybe a little over 100 of then in the box.)

Wingnut

@kymber wrote:

@Wingnut wrote:

@kymber wrote:

Wingnut – MM is queen of the baggy method but since she taught it to me last year i have had great success! it goes a little something like this:

1. use peat pellets. moisten them until they expand to full form.
    2. put your seed(s) in as deep as is recommended on the seed packet.
    3. pinch the tops closed.
    4. place 3 peat pellets of the same seed type in a baggy.
    5. seal the baggy.
    6. place baggies on window sill or in a tray near a window.
    7. wait for seeds to come up. once seed comes up, leave in the baggy until they outgrow the baggy.
    8. once the seeds outgrow the baggy – repot into a container or into the ground.

i used this method last spring for all of my seeds – darn near close to a 100% germination rate. here is a post that i did about the baggy method with pictures:

http://novascotiapreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/2009/04/yay-for-spring-and-seedlings-update.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

i hope that this helps!

Helps alot- Thanks!

autumnwear

those seed block makers look incredibly easy- thanks for sharing! think i might make some to get an early start on the seeds.

kymber

Wingnut – really glad that it helps! i swear it works and i lose very few seeds!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum