Storage of Oxygen Absorbers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Have a question…not sure this this has been addressed yet, though I know we have touched on it elsewhere. Can I store, so as to extend the shelf life of, oxygen absorber packets in a vacuum sealed jar? I want to start adding oxygen absorbers to the foods that I store, but I just store a few pounds of dehydrated corn or potatoes here and there, vacuum sealing them. I try and put away about 10 pounds every two weeks…I don’t want to do more at once because of space/time/money constraints. I am afraid that if I buy 100 oxygen packets I will end up only using 10 or so before the rest go bad. So, I was thinking that I could get some mason jars and that vacuum sealer attachment for my Food Saver and seal the packets away, maybe about 20-25 to a jar so that when I do use them later I will not have to re-expose all of them to get to just a few. Would this work? Has anyone tried this?

I saw elsewhere where someone stated that the vacuum sealed bags are not permanent and are oxygen permeable. I am thinking of, once I get a bit of a dehydrated pantry of sorts going, placing my Food Saver sealed goodies into a mylar bag…several vacuum sealed bags into one mylar bag…adding several oxygen absorbers and then trying to vacuum seal the mylar bag. Good idea? Bad idea? Just another idea? Any thoughts?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum