Storeing Oil / Lard

This topic contains 61 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  broden 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Silent Bob

Does anyone store cooking oil or lard ? We have tried to store oil and have found that it goes rancid in about 6 months unopened and even less when it is opened . I put sone in pint jars and sealed them and so far everything is going well . I have also melted lard and did it the same way with good results . Yes I know that oil and lard is bad for you , but sooner or later we will run out of Pam cooking spray.
    Bob

ReadyMom

Genevieve
    Participant

hmm… I’d be interested in the answer to this one also. I have about 4 cans of Crisco so far, and I’d like to know how long I can keep them for long term. I use it ( nothing beats p.butter cookies made from it), and use it some, but I rely on my canola oil the most. I’ve been wondering if I should move the jugs of canola oil I have to 1/2 gallon jars with canning lids or not. Didn’t know if it would keep better in the glass or the plastic it was manufactured in. I realize now that I need to move the honey I have stocked to large jars so it would keep better.

Silent Bob

Thanks for the replys
    Bob

Hansel1

Store virgin olive oil only, it has a long shelf life. I have some I use that is more then a year old and still fine. Make sure it is in a cool dark enviroment. Virgine olive oil is real oil most salat and cooking oils out there are artificial products that will break down in a relative short time.

John

kymber

i agree with John – cold-pressed virgin olive oil is the way to go.

Phelan

I butcher my own, so storing unprocessed lard or grease (goose grease is heavenly) is simple. Once it is processed and exposed to the air, it will turn on you quickly. I never store processed oil or lard for very long. Use it and replace it.

If you have the room, grow sunflowers. You can cold press the seeds for oil. Peanuts are another good one. As long as you keep them dry and raw, you can process them as needed.

so that’s what I do.

D_Loki
    Participant

Whatever choice of fats you choose to store, the enemy is AIR. Oxidation occurs turning the fats in the oils rancid. Yes EV Olive Oil does have an extended shelf life over other forms of oil. Light is also an natural enemy as is heat. Light and heat should be taken care of if you properly store food in a cool dark area (root cellar, basement etc). I know that store bought oils and shortening are NOT vacuum sealed (even if they have a cap or foil seal). I have not tried it yet, but I wondered if canning the fats would not be better storage for two reasons; 1. The fats would be vacuumed packed removing air, and 2. The canning jars, while breakable, would be more durable than plastic. The glass would definitely keep rodents out as they are notorious for chewing through the thin plastic to get to vegetable shortening.

RockinB
    Participant

I have a bunch of Canola & Olive oil stored so you got me worried about it going bad.
    I googled conola oil (spelled wrong) and this is more worrying if its true…I’m not an oil expert I just eat what my wife cooks.

http://www.dcnutrition.com/news/Detail.CFM?RecordNumber=638” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

CoM

The Crisco site says that unopened canned Crisco has a 2 yr shelf life and opened has a year.

I have had both for years and they are fine.

http://www.crisco.com/About_Crisco/faqs.aspx” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

idahobob

Dunno about the rest of ya, but we pretty much use coconut oil, exclusively.

It is a whole lot healthier for you than any of the “vegetable” oils.

The funny thing is, that before WWII, coconut oil, was the oil used in most kitchens. Then the petro-chemical companies got into the act, and then we, as Americans, started poisoning ourselves.

Coconut oil keeps in a solid consistency in temperatures below 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Above 70 it starts to liquefy.

The only thing that we do not use it for is pie crust. It just doesn’t work. Lard is the only way to go with pie crust, anyway. Besides, since Jan 1, I have been on my food nazi diet……sooooooo, no pie! Damn! 🙁

We keep coconut oil stored in a cold room that we have. Can we say…..above ground root cellar? I came with the place that we live in, maybe, someday when we get a piece of dirt, I WILL dig and build a proper root cellar. We purchase it in one gallon containers, that are sealed pretty well. Some say that it can go rancid over time, but you cannot prove it by me. Our cold room doesn’t get above 60 degrees in the summer and doesn’t get below 35 in the winter. Of course, sometimes it takes a little help by keeping a light bulb on overnight when the outside temp dips to around zero.

If you’d like any info about where we purchase coconut oil, drop me a PM and I’ll be glad to give you any and all the info that I have. 😀

Bob
    III

IceFire

I store cold-presssed Extra Virgin olive oil and Crisco. I have found that both sore well for an extended period of time. I had an open container of Crisco for over a year, and it was still fine. The olive stores for YEARS with no loss of quality.

Genevieve
    Participant

We’re not allowed to post info about purchasing stuff and from whom?

Why the secret Bob? If it’s allowed, post the info. Even if we choose not to buy , I for one am interested in the product and any info I can find on it.

idahobob

@genevieve wrote:

We’re not allowed to post info about purchasing stuff and from whom?

Why the secret Bob? If it’s allowed, post the info. Even if we choose not to buy , I for one am interested in the product and any info I can find on it.

No secret, I just do not want anyone thinking that I am trying to get or give anyone free advertising.

Since you asked, here it is,

We get out coconut oil from here:

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Through here:

http://www.azurestandard.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Bob
    III

skip

@Silent Bob wrote:

Does anyone store cooking oil or lard ? We have tried to store oil and have found that it goes rancid in about 6 months unopened and even less when it is opened . I put sone in pint jars and sealed them and so far everything is going well . I have also melted lard and did it the same way with good results . Yes I know that oil and lard is bad for you , but sooner or later we will run out of Pam cooking spray.
    Bob

We butcher our own pigs, We don’t use a lot of lard, and simply give most of it away. What we do keep, we keep in a plastic container with an air-tight lid, and have never had it go bad before it’s used. As far as the Pam, we quit using it, and use cast iron to fry in. Never have a problem sticking in a well seasoned pan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum