Storeing Oil / Lard

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Muzhik

Have any of you heard of “ghee”? It’s shelf stable clarified butter. You take unsalted butter and melt it on low heat. It will begin to boil. Eventually all the moisture will boil out and the milk solids will fall to the bottom of the pan. Filter out the liquid into a clean jar, and you have ghee.

Here is an article on making ghee (Konkan/Konkani food blog, Indian culinary treasures), and here’s a YouTube video (Ghee by VahRehVah.com)

PreppinMama

We store Olive oil and shortening, and I currently am experimenting with some canola oil that was given to me last summer. I’ve never had a container go rancid. It used to take me YEARS to go through a container of shortening. As others have said the keys to storing fats are temperature and light – You want it cool and dark, and fairly consistent. If your storage area has temp swings you will want to move your oils or find a way to moderate the temperature.

0-sweettater

I store dry shortening powder. It will store 5-7 years.
    We will be adding it to our new site in a couple of weeks.
    I have used it when we pack for the mountains, it’s great.

texcollex

@Muzhik wrote:

Have any of you heard of “ghee”? It’s shelf stable clarified butter. You take unsalted butter and melt it on low heat. It will begin to boil. Eventually all the moisture will boil out and the milk solids will fall to the bottom of the pan. Filter out the liquid into a clean jar, and you have ghee.

Here is an article on making ghee (Konkan/Konkani food blog, Indian culinary treasures), and here’s a YouTube video (Ghee by VahRehVah.com)

Also, Butter is the most easily renewable of the cooking fats. It makes the best pie crusts by far. Just gotta remember moderation 👿

I believe you can keep most oils and fats frozen to extend shelf life.

Tex

Lostfalls

@Silent Bob wrote:

Does anyone store cooking oil or lard ? We have tried to store oil and have found that it goes rancid in about 6 months unopened and even less when it is opened . I put sone in pint jars and sealed them and so far everything is going well . I have also melted lard and did it the same way with good results . Yes I know that oil and lard is bad for you , but sooner or later we will run out of Pam cooking spray.
    Bob

I render my own tallow from beef we raise – I will freeze it right after butchering, when I run low in the house I will get a block of suet or two out and cook it down. I store the final product in a half gallon canning jar I have vacuum sealed in the fridge since cool dark places are hard to come by at my place. My tallow lasts up to 6 months easily – I haven’t had it go bad yet, and I usually use it in that time frame…

Weagle1971

I render my own lard from pastured, free range hogs and tallow from likewise beef. Then, I store it in Mason jars in the refrigerator. I never use oils to cook with (with the exception of coconut oil). God gave us animal fat to cook with, man came along and gave us processed vegetable oils and the heart problems that go with them. And besides, oil was never meant to be a solid (Crisco). Animal fats are a natural source of vitamin D, oil has no real nutritional value, with the possible exception of olive oil. There is no comparison to a batch of french fries cooked in lard and a batch cooked in oil. Foods soak up oil, but animal fat will sear it and make it crispy. Corporate America and the gov’t have fooled Americans into believing that saturated fats (animal) cause heart problems and that oils are a healthier alternative, when in fact, the opposite is true. Just Google it…and you’ll see both sides of the argument.

As far as prepping and storage, animal fat does have a shorter shelf life than oils. But in a WROL situation, I hope to be able to live off the land and let God continue to provide man with all that he needs to survive.

anita
    Participant

I store canola oil and olive oil. The smaller bottles of olive oil, and the canola, I store in the refrigerator. They have about a year+ pull date.

Cans of olive oil and larger bottles I store in the basement where it stays cooler and is dark.

Lostfalls

Yes agreed – nothing like french fries fried up in tallow. And yes! It is a big source of vitamin D3 – which coincidentally is exactly what you body need to correctly process cholesterol! Among many other things, but imagine that – when you eat natural food, the nutrients are already in them for your body to correctly process them.

Like many other things oils/fats are a personal choice but we store lard, tallow, and Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Olive Oil only, for oil – it has the longest shelf life and is the best for you. I have coconut oil on hand for my soap making and will sometimes cook with it – but I don’t store it as it just doesn’t last as long as I would like.

We packed a pile of Crico away this summer. Ive had lard stored for several years now.
    If any of it goes bad, Ill just use it to make bullet lube.
    Being its one of the three items I use.

Anonymous

I store powdered shortening and powdered butter, unopened it last 10 years, opened it last about a year. Ive used it as well and you cant tell the difference. 🙂

http://www.shelfreliance.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=shortning+powder&x=0&y=0

Hope this helps 🙂

JG77

oldguy61

Been cycling through EVOO. Just opened a gallon that was dated 2006 and it’s fine. It’s stored in the fruit cellar, that stays at a fairly constant temp.

PatrioticStabilist
    Participant

I bought a can of canned butter and also some cheese. I haven’t tried the butter yet, it sure wasn’t cheap. Again from Lehmans, they have meat canned by the case or can. I opened a can of pork and it was pretty good, its just awfully expensive in my opinon.

I have had crisco go rancid on me. I buy olive oil and canola oil but I love cooking with lard. Just all I have bought in the last years tastes very strong, yuck, good lard has no taste.

Lostfalls

I might also add – making your own clarified butter and canning it is relatively easy. And it should last a good 10+ years. A cheaper alternative than buying it.

PatrioticStabilist – olive oil is kinda of an acquired taste. They once you get use to it you don’t notice it all – but I can still detect the extra virgin stuff when used in cooking…

anita
    Participant

Low temps and darkness help extend the temps of oils, no matter what it is. I keep most oils in the refrig, except the EV Olive Oil. I keep that in the basement in a dark corner. I would keep the olive oil in the refrig too, if I had the space. I keep a lot of butter frozen. (I use a food saver to try to keep it from absorbing off-odors/flavors.)

I just try to keep moving through it so that I’m using the oldest first. I keep about a year’s supply of olive oil, and according to the can (I buy in the can now because it keeps out the light) the pull date is about a year away.

anita
    Participant

I forgot the ghee, powdered butter, and canned butter. I’ve gotten a little of each, as well as some coconut oil.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum