Survival Guns

This topic contains 107 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  arielado 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #555

    Gabbyhase
    Member

    Ok, where do we start?
    This is only one mans opinion and there are as many opinions on guns as there are people who own them, so again, this is just my opinion, it doesn’t mean I’m right or wrong it’s just an opinion.
    First you have to figure out what your going to need a gun for. Will you be carrying it with you at all times, will it be for home defence, will it be for survival purposes like hunting food. ???

    Lets look at the first one, Carrying a gun.
    I ‘ve carryed a gun every day, everywhere I go for over 20 years. I prefer a revolver ( again, just my opinion ) because I want my gun to work when I need it most. I have owned and do own many different firearms and I have had semi auto jam on me in the past but have never had a revolver jam (I ‘ve been a hunter, shooter and sportsman for over 25 years and have done a lot of shooting in those years ). In my own opinion I would rather have 5 or 6 sure shots then 10 to 14 maybes and I don’t plan on stopping anywhere to fight a war or stay in a fire fight ( Also, a revolver is a lot easier and faster to clean ). If the need ever arises I will shoot and then get the hell out of harms way as soon as possible, I also practice a lot and I usually hit what I’m shooting at. For the last 10 years or so I have chosen to carry a Ruger SP101 in a 357 mag/38 special, I consider it one of the best personal protection handguns on the market and it’s very accurate.

    Home protection:
    For home protection I prefer a 12 gauge shotgun. Mine is a Remington 870 with a barrel that has been cut down to 18 inches. ( the leagal limit in wyoming ) I also have a 28 inch barrel for it so that I can use it for hunting. I keep my shotgun loaded with buckshot for home protection. Others prefer to use birdshot so that it won’t penetrate wallls as much.
    A 12 gauge is also good because of the amount of different ammo that is out there for it. You can hunt just about anything from Black Bear to squirrel and everything in between with a 12 gauge. however, the ammo is heavy and you can only carry so much with you and it also takes up a lot more room to store it.

    Survival:
    In my own personal opinion there is No Better survival firearm than a good 22 rifle ( chambered for the 22 Long Rifle ). I have taken lots of game with my 22’s, the ammo is cheap ( compared to other calibers ) and you can carry over 1,000 rounds on your person easely. I prefer a good bolt action ( my second choice would be a Lever or pump action ) because the likelyhood of them jamming is very small compared to a semi auto and they tend to be more accurate. I’d also like to add that if you do purchase a 22 long rifle that you buy one with iron sights. If you decide to put a scope on it get the weaver scope rings that allow you to to look under the scope to use your iron sights, this way if you fall and break your scope you can still use your gun.
    I have read that you should have at least 10,000 rounds of 22 ammo for every 22 you own. Not because you’ll ever need that many rounds of 22 ammo, but because you can use them to trade for other items you may need, and I agree with that.
    Although I don’t recommend a semi auto if you only have 1 22 rifle in the house, I do own a Ruger 10/22 and if the need arises I could use it to put some lead out there to put some heads down while I try to figure out another escape plan.. But I prefer to hunt with a Bolt action.

    If it were at all possible I would say that every home should have at least 1-12 gauge shotgun and 1 good 22 long rifle. However, If I could only afford one gun it would a good 22 long rifle.

    Like I said, these are just my own personal opinions and you’ll find a lot of them out there, but I hope that it will be of some help to someone here.

    Gabby

    #53905

    IceFire
    Moderator

    Here’s a slightly different perspective. While I have a few of revolvers, my day-to-day carry is a semi-auto, because I canNOT effectively conceal a revolver. You guys may not have a problem, but for some of us ladies, ESPECIALLY short-waisted types, getting something that you can conceal effectively can be a REAL challenge. For that reason, I opted for a slim semi-auto that even I can conceal effectively, fits my hand well, and goes BANG reliably when I want it to.

    A 12-gauge is nice, but once again, being a small female, I find a 20-gauge much more comfortable to shoot. (although I DO also have a 12-gauge, as does my husband, but I’m limited on how much I can shoot it.) For home defense, however, I much prefer my “The Judge” revolver. It fires both .410 shotshells as well as 45 Long Colt cartridges. The reason I prefer it for home defense is that in tight quarters indoors, it is MUCH more maneuverable than a shotgun, and you STILL have the advantage of using the birdshot so as not to penetrate the walls of the house.

    If ou can only have ONE rifle for hunting, then yes, I agree with a bolt-action .22. In my state, it is illegal to hunt with a semi-auto of ANY kind (rifle, shotgun, or handgun), so a bolt-action is a MUST. You can take down anything from chipmunks/squirrels and rabbits to larger game if you place your shot carefully. Another advantage is that .22 ammo is relatively inexpensive, as Gabby said. You can get in a LOT of target practice without breaking the bank.

    WHATEVER you choose to get/carry, be sure that you are very familiar with it…spend time at the range sharpening your shooting skills, and by all means, take a safety course, and learn the firearms laws in your state!

    #53906

    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @icefire wrote:

    Here’s a slightly different perspective. While I have a few of revolvers, my day-to-day carry is a semi-auto, because I canNOT effectively conceal a revolver. You guys may not have a problem, but for some of us ladies, ESPECIALLY short-waisted types, getting something that you can conceal effectively can be a REAL challenge. For that reason, I opted for a slim semi-auto that even I can conceal effectively, fits my hand well, and goes BANG reliably when I want it to.

    A 12-gauge is nice, but once again, being a small female, I find a 20-gauge much more comfortable to shoot. (although I DO also have a 12-gauge, as does my husband, but I’m limited on how much I can shoot it.) For home defense, however, I much prefer my “The Judge” revolver. It fires both .410 shotshells as well as 45 Long Colt cartridges. The reason I prefer it for home defense is that in tight quarters indoors, it is MUCH more maneuverable than a shotgun, and you STILL have the advantage of using the birdshot so as not to penetrate the walls of the house.

    If ou can only have ONE rifle for hunting, then yes, I agree with a bolt-action .22. In my state, it is illegal to hunt with a semi-auto of ANY kind (rifle, shotgun, or handgun), so a bolt-action is a MUST. You can take down anything from chipmunks/squirrels and rabbits to larger game if you place your shot carefully. Another advantage is that .22 ammo is relatively inexpensive, as Gabby said. You can get in a LOT of target practice without breaking the bank.

    WHATEVER you choose to get/carry, be sure that you are very familiar with it…spend time at the range sharpening your shooting skills, and by all means, take a safety course, and learn the firearms laws in your state!

    If that works for you, then that’s absolutely what you should use and carry. My wife carries her revolver in her concealed carry purse. If we’re out on the bike we use concealed carry fanny packs, what ever works, use it.
    Here is a pretty good article called Guns to Grab and if you scroll all the way down it describes some calibers that may not be availible in a post survival world http://www.alpinesurvival.com/gtg-ammo.htm” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false .
    I also have a 20 gauge , 16 gauge and a 14 but in a survival situation I will grab the 12 gauage if i have to. But I also have plenty of ammo saved up, so don’t have to worry about finding it when I need it. ( by the way, 45 lc’s are getting hard to find out here )

    #53907

    IceFire
    Moderator

    I don’t like carrying in a purse or bag, because of the chances for someone ELSE to get hold of it. I prefer to carry ON BODY, where my firearm is within my control at all times.

    As for ammo, I also have plenty saved up–my husband always prays that the house never catches fire, though, because that ammo going off could get REALLY ugly. Lucky for us, though, our son-in-law is one of the firemen who would be responding, and he knows to be careful. That, plus the fact that I have at LEAST two fire extinguishers on each floor of the house, where they’re easy to grab.

    #53908

    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @icefire wrote:

    I don’t like carrying in a purse or bag, because of the chances for someone ELSE to get hold of it. I prefer to carry ON BODY, where my firearm is within my control at all times.

    As for ammo, I also have plenty saved up–my husband always prays that the house never catches fire, though, because that ammo going off could get REALLY ugly. Lucky for us, though, our son-in-law is one of the firemen who would be responding, and he knows to be careful. That, plus the fact that I have at LEAST two fire extinguishers on each floor of the house, where they’re easy to grab.

    I have over 20,000 rounds just in 22 LR’s. That doesn’t included 22 magnums, shotgun shells, handgun and rifle ammo. You’ve just given me an idea. I may split the ammo up and store it in a couple seperate places just in case 😎

    #53909

    22 LR is perfect for small game and varmints. I utilize a level action winchester 3030 for larger game, a winchester 1300 super pump 12ga for water fowl, and a Berreta CX4 Storm 9mm for my tactical rifle which is very handy considering I utilze a PX4 storm 9mm for my side arm which allows me uniformity of ammo and clips as they are interchangeable. Have noticed signif savings in that uniformity.

    #53910

    Silent Bob
    Member

    I carry a semi and my wife carries a revolver . She can shoot my semi as well as her revolver , but she feels more comfortable with her revolver. She has a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge . She has a bad back and the 20 is what she likes the best. I would like to have a good bolt action 22 LR , but right now I will stick with my Ruger 10/22 .
    No matter what you have or carry make sure that you know it like a brother , know its strengths and its weakness .
    Bob

    #53911

    ETOW_Doc
    Member

    I agree, the Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum with a 3″ barrel is probably the one and only handgun one needs for nearly every application it would be needed for. Coupled with the 125 grain JHP ammo and one shot can put down most 2 and 4 legged predators. With regards to a home defense gun, I am more onboard with Massad Ayoob’s thinking on the 20 gun over the 12 guage. With a home defense barrel, extended tube, and paired with #3 buckshot, you get 75% of the firepower of the 12 g. with 50% of the recoil. Its smaller frame is also more compatible with women and children, meaning more people in the house are able to use it, and you can worry less about killing your next door neighbors in the event your shots go astray, which they invariably do. The Mossberg 500 Cruiser in 20g. with a pistol grip, stand-off barrel, and 6 round tube to me is the perfect home defense weapon.

    If I were able to only have ONE weapon, and only one to use in any and all situations, it would have to be the AR-10 tactical with a quad rail, scope mount, laser, front pistol grip with flashlight, and an M4 style adjustable stock. With an 18″ barrel, it is short enough to use tactically, yet long enough to be effective out to 500+ yards. Since it is chambered in .308 (7.62 NATO) it has enough punch to do anything you want it to do from 5-500 yards. The ammunition is very easy to find, as it is in the top 5 most readily available rounds in America (with the .30-30 Win, .270 Win, .30-06, and the .223 (5.56 NATO)). I opted away from the .223 because while the ammunition is cheap and easy to get, it is nearly all FMJ, which means it is worthless for self defense or hunting. the .308 comes in a myriad of different bullet configurations. I also stayed away from the 7.62x39mm (Ak-47/SKS type rifles) because while this ammo is prolific and cheap, most of it is eastern Bloc made and its reliability is spurious. Plus, it has the same general ballistics as the .30-30, which means that it is great out to about 200 yards, then drops to the ground like a stone. Additionally, many of the weapons chambered for this caliber aren’t known for their accuracy.

    #53912

    Gabbyhase
    Member

    I have friends who have at least a dozzen guns and they hardly have any ammo for them. They keep buying guns and shooting up what ever ammo they have at the range. What good will all them guns do them in a survival situation? Now don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with having lots of guns ( I lost count of all mine ) but you have to stock pile ammo for them as well. For me, during a survival situation I’m not going to try to shoot a bird in flight, I’m gonna shoot it while it’s on the ground standing still with my 22. A 22 does a lot less damage to the meat than a shotgun of any caliber. If need be I know I can take a deer with my 22, in fact the 22 was the choice for most poachers back in the day because they are quiet. I’ve eaten Raccoon, squirrel, pigeon, rabbit and more, all of which I shot with a 22lr.
    Anyway, I feel we may be getting off topic talking about personal protection. Do you guys think someone should start a seperate thread for that and leave this one for Survival guns? ( it’s just a thaught )

    Gabby

    #53913

    tuck9411
    Member

    I find the comments here very interesting, and cannot disagree with any of the comments. I do prefer a Glock, and there a reason the military carry these, they are reliable and tear down easy for cleaning. I just wanted to throw my two cents in as far as self defense carry. A small 380 is small and compact and reliable. Also I prefer the Bond 410/45 its only a two shot but very reliable and believe me when the stress level goes high accuracy is the first to go and if your throwing 410 shot the direction of the threat your gonna get there attention. But as everyone agreed you need to carry what your comfortable and you need to train with it.

    #53914

    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @tuck9411 wrote:

    I find the comments here very interesting, and cannot disagree with any of the comments. I do prefer a Glock, and there a reason the military carry these, they are reliable and tear down easy for cleaning. I just wanted to throw my two cents in as far as self defense carry. A small 380 is small and compact and reliable. Also I prefer the Bond 410/45 its only a two shot but very reliable and believe me when the stress level goes high accuracy is the first to go and if your throwing 410 shot the direction of the threat your gonna get there attention. But as everyone agreed you need to carry what your comfortable and you need to train with it.

    Most of that is true, but again we’re talking about survival and a over and under derringer isn’t going to be much help, neither will the 380 or glock. They are ok for close range or personal protection but we’re talking survival as in putting food on the table, they won’t be worth spit when your trying to kill a rabbit from 50 or 75 yards away.

    Another point I’d like to make is cost. Most people I know don’t have a lot of money to spend these days, they are pretty much strapped for cash. ou can get a decent 22 ly for under $200.00 if you look around and you can still buy 550 bricks of 22lr ammo for under $20.00. I can’t even buy 20 rounds of ammo for my 7 mm mag for $20.00, or a box of 357 mag. Even if you reload ,bigger calibers are still getting very expensive to reload. So as survival guns go, you get more for your money with a 22lr and one rifle is all a lot of people may be able to aford right now, this is why sugested it. Remember, people are also trying to put together food supplys, water supplys and other emergency supplys they may need, they need all the extra money they can muster and can’t afford to dump a lot of money into a firearm.
    I have a 223 and I’ve seen what it does to Prairie Dogs, they explode when I hit them. This would distroy a rabbit and other small game.
    I’d also like to point out that more times than I would like to remember I sat out in the woods with my rifle all day long and never seen a deer or other big game animal, but after sitting quiet for a while I have always seen small game come back out. I wouldn’t fault anyone for having a good hunting rifle in their homes for big game and having a few rounds for it as well. But your more likely to come across small game and a good 22 will put food on the table.

    #53915

    BrianWV
    Member

    When picking a survival weapon or weapons, you also need to consider, what will be the ammo availablity of the gun you chose.
    .44 mags are great guns, but if you are having to scrounge for ammo, how easy will it be to find.
    I feel your weapons need to be common calibers like, .22 , 38/.357 , 30-30, 30-06, and 12 ga.The .22 while small is capable of providing food and protection.
    You could also include .223/5.56 if your scavanging military bodies for supplies.
    7.62×39 is sort of iffy, unless you have a ton stockpiled. It would also be wise to look into reloading equipent for long term.
    The powder could always be used for secondary things as needed.

    It would also pay to have cleaning supplies and some spare parts such as firing pins and springs.
    Now this is all worst case scenario,I’m not trying to sound like a nutjob, but it’s something to think about.

    #53916

    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @brianwv wrote:

    When picking a survival weapon or weapons, you also need to consider, what will be the ammo availablity of the gun you chose.
    .44 mags are great guns, but if you are having to scrounge for ammo, how easy will it be to find.
    I feel your weapons need to be common calibers like, .22 , 38/.357 , 30-30, 30-06, and 12 ga.The .22 while small is capable of providing food and protection.
    You could also include .223/5.56 if your scavanging military bodies for supplies.
    7.62×39 is sort of iffy, unless you have a ton stockpiled. It would also be wise to look into reloading equipent for long term.
    The powder could always be used for secondary things as needed.

    It would also pay to have cleaning supplies and some spare parts such as firing pins and springs.
    Now this is all worst case scenario,I’m not trying to sound like a nutjob, but it’s something to think about.

    Those are all very good points Brian,
    But out of all the calibers you listed the 22 or the 12 gauge are the only ones you can really use on small game. The 22 is also the cheapest ( all those other calibers are getting very expensive to buy and stock up on ) to buy and stock up on. A bulk pack of 550 rounds of 22’s is about the same size as 25 rounds of 12 gauge and cost about the same so you get more for your money with the 22lr.
    I’m not sure what you mean by Scavanging military bodies? If you mean taking ammo off dead soldiers, that’s not going to be very practicle. For one thing, the military doesn’t leave soldiers behind and if for some reason they are left behind I would imagion their guns will be with them to. But that aside, we’re not talking about a war here and we’re not talking about fighting some sort of revolution war either. We’re talking survival and in that situation it’s best to keep a low profile and try to avoid others, so you don’t want to be making to much noise either. However, if I lived closer to Yellowstone or in Alaska I would certanly stock up on big bore ammo because of the Grizzly, polar, Brown bears and other dangerous animals.
    There is no sence even thinking about fighting a war. The military ( be it ours or NATO ) has Helecopters, Jets, Mistles,tanks and a lot more. They can see in the night, they can see through walls and shoot through them to kill what ever is behind them, their weapons are so advanced there is no way for us to protect our selves.. So even if we all had AR15’s and plenty of ammo there is no way we could fight, we’d be dead in a heart beat.
    Your absolutly right about the cleaning supplys, everyone should stock up on enough gun cleaning supplys for every gun in their home.

    #53917

    Wingnut
    Member

    I have the 12 and 20 gauge, both with bird shot as well as sabots for big game. In addition I have a Win 30.30 rifle. I’ve heard several times to stick to the more common calibers because as time wears on less common ammo runs short (e.g. 16 gauge or 28 gauge or odd rifle calibers). Also have a .380, in my boot or my wife’s purse, for protection as well as a Colt .45. I chose the Colt because of ammo availability.

    I never really thought about the .22 long because I was thinking more about protection than hunting, but that makes a lot of sense. In addition a .22 can bring down an animal as large as a whitetail deer in the hands of a skilled shooter.

    #53918

    chuckwagon
    Member

    A 22lr, 12 gauge and a 9mm would be ideal for where i live..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum