Survival Strategies

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  alaskawatchmen 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Having been involved in this field for thirty (+) years, it amazes me the pure fantasy that I read about other prepper’s survival plans. Allow me to detail a few that I remember:

One guy has a very large RV full of everything that would make life seem normal in the worst case scenario. Food, water, propane, microwave, washer/dryer, satellite television, radio gear, atv, and a ton of other stuff.

His plan is to hitch up a pull-behind trailer and load it with the rest of his stuff, toss in a wife, four adults, and three kids—and then head out into the wild Alaska where he intends to live in relative comfort among the beauty of nature.

PROBLEM 1: There might not be enough warning to load up, pack up, get everyone together in time.
    PROBLEM 2: There might not be any roads left when the SHTF, and thus the RV will be useless.
    PROBLEM 3: Other people might be doing exactly the same thing, and pretty soon that 10MPG very large and heavy RV will soon run out of diesel fuel.
    PROBLEM 4: Somebody might take said RV from said survivalist, leaving him and said family stranded on the side of the road, or perhaps dead!

Another Alaska Prepper plans on grabbing his BOB and trekking across the Chugach Mountains to a public use cabin that he found two years ago.

PROBLEM 1: It’s winter, -40 below zero, the trails are under five feet of snow.
    PROBLEM 2: His wife and two (very young) children will probably NOT survive the trip, as his total food supply in the BOB consists of a jar of rice (Glass), two bags of beef jerky, three tea bags, and approximately 900 rounds of .223cal ammunition.

The last Alaska Prepper lives in a small two bedroom condo in the Mid-Town area of Anchorage. He has approximately one month worth of food stored away, and all of the requisite survival gear. His plan is to “shelter In Place” during whatever crisis hits Anchorage.
    PROBLEM 1: He can’t seem to remember “TSUNAMI”; claims it will never happen.
    PROBLEM 2: Earthquakes tend to knock down flimsy little clapboard buildings in a hurry.
    PROBLEM 3: All that food and gear might very well be washed out to see or crushed under tons of material.

I’ll be first to admit that a bad plan is better than no plan—but a good plan trumps the rest.
    Our group members maintain a READY Bag in the vehicles, as well as hand-held and mobile radios. A full blown BOB is kept at home, and there are three areas around Anchorage/MATSU where other supplies are stored away. Putting all of your food and supplies in one single area is dangerous. The price of a small storage lot in Wasilla, Girdwood, and other geographic areas insures that at least one cache will survive.

But is that the end, or the start of a survival plan?

More later if there is interest…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.