Sweet Corn pests and prevention

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  whitebear54 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gunns
    Participant

So I haven’t been able to find a good source for organic control of the corn beetles, silk worms, etc. I don’t want to use any big farm sprays if I can help it.

One thing I found was to protect the silks is to put out small tins of vegetable oil with a teaspoon of bacon grease in the garden. I guess some insects prefer that and then get stuck in it.

How do you stop the worms?

James Vivian
    Participant

There are many ways that you can check online that will help you get rid of those pesky worms. If one does not want to deal with the poison on its own, they can take the help of a professional like Exterminator Shelton CT that will help them exterminate the house with professional care.

whitebear54
    Participant

Guns, BT works on caterpillars, but it doesn’t kill them fast. Neem oil works and, within reason, so do soapy sprays.

I’ve found the best defense against such critters as corn ear budworm is to plant varieties that mature very early. Sunrise Seneca, Candy Mountain and other Northern Minnesota varieties work very well here in AZ. They mature before the ear budworms arrive.

One other thing I’ve found that works is planting varieties that have very tight ears–makes it harder for the buggers to get inside.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.