Taste Test – MRE 12-Pack 3 Course with Heaters $129.95

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water General Food Topics Taste Test – MRE 12-Pack 3 Course with Heaters $129.95

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Gunns
    Participant

So I bought a case of MRE’s from Meal Kit Supply. This has to be the most expensive MRE out there but it supposed to be the best tasting. I don’t know about you but I think taste is going to be important to break up the stress.

These are made fresh so they are not older than 2 months. The case I got was only a few weeks old. I had a bunch of MRE’s a while ago and when I got them they were already 9 months old, different company.

http://www.mealkitsupply.com/MRE/US/product/mre_12-pack/

So the wife picked out Beef Ravioli and I picked Meatballs in Marinara. First thing we noticed they both included a bag of black beans in sauce.

Typical MRE. Spoon, napkin, salt, pepper and coffee creamer.

There are some inconsistencies and I emailed them but have not heard back. Here are the inconsistencies.
    1 My MRE did NOT have Coffee but my wifes did.
    2 My MRE did have hot sauce the wifes did not.
    3 My MRE had Coffee Creamer for imaginary coffee.
    4 My wifes had three drinks. The Coffee, Lemon/Lime and Hot Cocoa. Mine only had the Lemon/Lime.

The MRE’s came with heaters and instructions. Took me a bit to understand them because I had me a couple of cocktails. Guess one shouldn’t handle MRE’s while buzzed? We figured it out and placed both the beans and the meal into the bag, it doesn’t say to place both in there but we did. It says to heat for 15 minutes, well I let it go 25, I wanted the meals nice and hot.

While it heated we cracked open the crackers. They were ok but I would have liked them to be a bit more cracker like then bread like. The wife had cheese and I had peanut butter. The first thing listed on the ingredients on the cheese was Cheddar Cheese. Thumbs up on that one.

The cheese on crackers was ok, as one would expect. I would give them 3 out of 5 stars.

The peanut butter on crackers was better in my opinion, not my wifes (duh). 4 out of 5 stars.

On to the drink. We mixed our Lemon/Lime drink packets per the instructions, 12 oz of water, shake for 30 seconds. Tasted like a mild Gatorade. I would recommend mixing it with 10 oz of water to heighten the taste. 3 out of 5 stars.

The Beef Ravioli was ok, the ravioli itself was a little mushy but eatable. 4 out of 5 stars.

The Meatballs were excellent, especially when you add a bit of hot sauce. 5 out of 5 stars.

The Black Beans were excellent with the hot sauce. I really like these beans. 5.5 out of 5 stars.

On to the deserts. The wife and I mixed up the puddings we got like the instructions said. She had chocolate and I had vanilla. The chocolate was gritty and tasted cheap. 2 stars out of 5. The vanilla turned out nice and creamy and had an excellent vanilla taste. 4 out of 5 stars.

Haven’t had the hot cocoa yet but I did mix up the one instant coffee this morning. As expected tasted a lot like Folgers Instant coffee. Not unpleasant but not your regular cup of joe. 3 out of 5 stars.

All in all I would give them 4 out of 5 stars but they need to improve the consistency of included ingredients. I felt short changed.

They have a cheaper case of 12 meals, not sure why they are only $49.95 but may be what I test next. I think these cheaper meals are 1 to 2 years old.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum