Tested one of my "Prepper Premises" this week

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Rosemead
    Participant

And it failed. Well maybe not failed, but I will need to re-plan.

The Electric company was turning off the power for 6 hours Tuesday to replace a power pole. Their flier recommended placing ice in the refrigerator.

It was my plan/ belief that in a grid down situation, two pounds of dry ice would keep my freezer frozen for three to four days. Giving me that much grey time.

And, that running the generator one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening would be enough to keep everything frozen.

Now, I am not so sure.

I picked up three pound bag of dry ice Monday night, putting two pounds in the freezer and a pound in the refrigerator. The next morning, the pound in the refrigerator was gone and the half of the two pounds in the freezer was gone. I divided up what was left and went to work.

That evening examining the food, there was no sign that anything defrosted or got warn enough to spoil, the butter did not melt.

Still, at the rate of two pounds for twenty fours hours, I would need 6 to 8 pounds. Don’t think I could fit that much in the freezer.

And if I am going to run the generator longer, I am going have to rethink my fuel consumption.

Living in a condo, once the generator starts, I would not be able to “live grey”. Fuel storage is also a issue. It was my plan to strap the generator to a dolly and go door to door selling generator time. 1/2 gallon of gas per hour. Now I don’t know if this is going to be viable.

So, am I missing something, have you any experiences in this area? Thoughts/comments?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum