The Prepper’s Library

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

A great resource on military medical material is the Virtual Naval Hospital. As you can guess, it is a bit Navy slanted, but it does include a lot of material from different branches. There funding comes and goes, so if you see something that you really like they recommend that you burn it on to a disk. Originally that was the intent of the site, to provide a reference that you could burn from to take the CDs with you on deployment. Personally, I mostly used if for advancement. Hope you all like:

vnh.org

IceFire

Thanks for posting this, Who is.

kymber

excellent link WIJG – thanks very much! if you have any more hiding around – please post them!

PreppinMama

I for one really appreciate all these free links. Wish I could find more of this stuff on my own but I’m SO glad I’m part of this group. You all are great resources! Thanks :clap:

kymber

PreppinMama – nice to see that you changed your pic – is that PreppinDaddy with you? you guys look like a great prepping family and we are proud to call you ours! there is a bunch of really great links on every topic that you can imagine floating around this forum…i am going to try and gather them all into one place. i will let everyone know when i do!

we are really glad that you are part of our group! thank you!

PreppinMama

Kymber – yup! That’s PreppinDaddy :tank: – in’t he cute 😀 :blush:
    I’d love to see a section just for links but so many of them are multi-topic. How would we divide them? In particular, this topic of free book downloads would be useful.

kymber

he shore is!!!! you lucky lady!!! make sure to thank him for us for his service eh? we do really appreciate it!!!

hmmm….okay – so gathering up all of these links that are scattered throughout all of the threads is gonna be a little more difficult than originally though. so i need your help guys and gals. should we just dump all links into the same category called something inspiring like “links” – or should we really take the time to categorize them all? i am for the second option but will need everyone’s help to do it…

any takers?

IceFire

I like the idea of a general “links” forum, with subforums for breaking them down into categories. A lot of work, I know, but it sure would be easier to find what you’re looking for!

kymber

i agree IceFire…so i am gonna roll up my sleeves!

IceFire

Well then roll up your sleeves and get to work!

D_Loki
    Participant

Instead of REPOSTING the link, how about having a locked forum that a moderator group can glean the links from the other forums and link to the forum post. Might save a little time and it will definitely decrease clutter to find the link. Second option would be to open another blog and post the links categorized there.

Muzhik

@kymber wrote:

my contribution is this link which has a number of books on it that are all free to download:

http://snardfarker.ning.com/profiles/blogs/survival-books-free-downloads” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

I’ve spent the last two hours going through that list. My biggest disappointment was how many of the links are now broken. I did find something else on one files. I’m not sure of how this came to be, but there is a website called “How to Make Everything.com“. This apparently started from a project called CD3WD, or CD for 3rd World Development. The original set of files filled up a CD and had all this information for helping improve the lives of people in the 3rd world. The number of files has grown to several gigabytes, so of course it doesn’t fit on a CD anymore, but they have most of the files on this page.

The problem is, again, most of the links don’t work. If you scroll down to just past the half-way point, you’ll see a set of files that begin with “JF – Part 5 – cd3wd405.zip – Participatory Approaches to Agricultural Research and Development“. All of the links after that point work, and there are all sorts of useful articles, like how to build a hand cart, how to salt fish, how to make … everything. Most of the articles are PDFs of articles from magazines from the ’70s, but many are PDFs taken from microfiche copies of the magazines.

Anyway, highly recommended!

kymber

Muzhik – did you let the owner of the site know? i am pretty sure that there is a contact. and the last time i went through the site printing anything was about 4 months ago. let me know and if you haven’t contacted the site owner – i will. i hope you looked through some of the other interesting pages on that site – there is a bunch of stuff available there for free!

ReadyMom

Found this website. It’s great. Lots of topics. Good explanations. Photos (I need photos 8) ).

Survival Topics.com
    http://www.survivaltopics.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Muzhik

@kymber wrote:

Muzhik – did you let the owner of the site know? i am pretty sure that there is a contact. and the last time i went through the site printing anything was about 4 months ago. let me know and if you haven’t contacted the site owner – i will. i hope you looked through some of the other interesting pages on that site – there is a bunch of stuff available there for free!

I could not find any contact information on the “How To Make Everything” website. However, at the very bottom of the page I linked to is a link to the “AT3 Manual”. Clicking on that brings up the PDF file of the “AT Library CD-ROM Edition”, which has installation instructions as well as an index to all the files. The front page of that manual lists the publisher as “Village Earth” in Fort Collins, CO. Their website is at http://www.villageearth.org/index.htm.

Villiage Earth sells the AT (Appropriate Technology) Library. This library is on 27 CDs or 4 DVDs and contains both articles and entire books related to different aspects of technology that is appropriate for the small village. What is online (what I linked to yesterday) is apparently the entire index with all the links to book references broken, leaving only the articles. If you’ve been there, you’ll see that’s still an ENORMOUS amount of information.

UPDATE

It turns out that “Appropriate Technology” had a wiki which is now merged with “Appropedia” This looks to be a wealth of information that can be applied to prepping and survivability issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum