The very basics on gardening

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

FussyOldHen

LawnHelp, it would be helpful if you mentioned what “very warm area” you live in. SoCal? TX? FL?

There are cool-season crops and warm-season crops. Try planting your cool-season crops for growing in the winter, depending on your minimum temps. Things like lettuce, peas and spinach often do better in winter than in spring in warmer areas.

You could also contact your local Cooperative Extension Service Office and ask for advice, or they may have info already posted on their site: http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

There are two sets and sources of hardiness zones, the USDA zones are only for cold limitations; the Sunset Garden Book for the western states and the Southern Living Garden Book for the South, both address cold and heat issues. Notice that the zone numbers are different, so don’t mix them up.

I guess the rest of the states are on their own.

IceFire

Lawnhelp,

I also live in a very warm area…it requires adjusting my planting seasons, as the summer heat tends to scorch a lot of my plants. On the other hand, I’m still harvesting things like tomatoes and peppers well into December. So, “cool” season crops, such as spinach, lettuces, peas, etc. get planted in late summer/fall, and grown through the winter and into early spring. Also, warm season crops get planted MUCH earlier than in other areas of the country. I have a small greenhouse, and generally start my seeds in January/February for planting out in March/April. YMMV

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum