Time to purchase seeds

This topic contains 48 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  cityhomesteader 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

HI all,

I am new here the Name is Bruce (cityhomesteader).. We have been gardening Organically for about 27 years where ever we could find a small bit of earth. We just bought our first home 12 years ago, an 1840’s New England farm house fixer upper. It has a .45 acre of land and I’ve built raised beds and started a small woodland Garden area. We’ve planted Small fruits, herbs, old thyme perennials, and I’m trying to establish a forest garden area on a small scale as a Learn as you go project. This year we are buying Heirloom seed that where grown in New England and hope to save our own seeds. I have Seed Savers, Baker Creek,High Mowing, and several other Catalogs. I will probably be asking questions and talking about what I’m buying with the names and history associated with the seed. What are y’all planting?

OH yeah.. Looking for seed swap partners and local Plant swap Partners come spring. Any takers??

mmpaints
    Participant

Hey Bruce, sounds like you’ve got a pretty nice little spot going there. I’m in Illinois and I’d jump on your seed swap idea but I already gave all my excess seed away a couple weeks ago to a blog reader. This next season, I’ll have to save more seed.

Carriebelle

Hi Bruce. This is going to be a great subject!

We live near Seattle and organic gardening is my passion, as well as feeding all the birds from everywhere. I would love to hear everyone’s suggestions about tomato varieties. This year as usual our plants were absolutely HUGE, but no matter what we grow, the fruit just doesn’t have the flavor we want. I would also like some ideas on how to get a more gradual ripening of the tomatoes. No matter what we do, all the tomatoes get ripe at once.

Hi mmpaints

Sounds great.. I used to live in Rockford IL for one year.. Couldn’t wait to come home to CT LOL
    My Brother lives in Rockford still.. Your lake affect storms are to much for me..Brrrrrrr..New England has nothing on y’all!!

Hi Carriebelle,

Have you ever heard of the seed Catalog put out by Totally Tomatoes? That is where I’m buying my Tomato, and pepper seed this year. Old time OP varieties. I’m looking at “Box Car Willie”, so far..for my Tomato. Then “King of the North” for my sweet pepper.

Just the over all ID and individual information on each tomato is a great reason to send for this catalog..

IceFire

Another good source for heirloom/open pollinated varieties is Pinetree Garden Seeds. They also have a good selection of organically produced garden seeds.

I garden organically, too. Have seeds for multiple varieties of lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, corn, beans (green, wax, and “dried” type), peas, peppers, okra , beets, turnips, just to name a few as well as a good variety of herbs.

Carriebelle

Thank you Bruce! I went to the Totally Tomatoes website as soon as I read your note and ordered my catalog, along with a few others! I know computers are great, but there’s nothing like looking at a paper seed or flower catalog! IceFire, thank you also for telling me about Pinetree Garden Seeds. Just looking at your list of seeds made me want to go out and dig! Uh, maybe I’ll wait a few weeks, as I was sure I saw a family of ducks outside a little while ago.

Has anyone had real success with a variety of strawberry? Strawberries grow great here near Seattle, but the growers usually use a berry that is good for picking and not necessarily eating. They also do not garden organically. Thanks in advance.

Carrie

mmpaints
    Participant

Hey Bruce, I moved way down to the southern tip of Illinois 15 years ago and I love it. No lake effect snow here, LOL, only ice storms 🙁

I grow the old tried and true Roma tomato for my canning and sauces and an old Italian heriloom for eating. Of course, no garden would be complete without those little yellow pear tomatoes or a big batch of cherry tomatoes. I grow both those here and love them.

I’ve been growing/tending a strawberry called Alpine. It’s an everbear and it doesn’t grow those little tendrils to spread. I split the plants at the beginning of the season and they do pretty well. Big berries, sweet without being over sweet.

CoM

Last year was our first year using non hybrid seeds and collecting them for this year.

A good book on this is Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy

Hi IceFire ,
    I used to order from Pinetree but their packets are just to dang small. Last time I bought tomato seeds from them their were 23 seeds in that pkt that cost me $1.95..No thanks..
    Hi Carriebelle ,
    Yeah I love catalogs too! Love the feel of them and the fact that I can file them and reread them over and over. I grow the Alpine strawberry too.. I also Grow three beds of Regular Strawberries. They need a Cold spell to set flowers.
    HI CoM,
    I will be borrow that book from the Library next week. Thanks..Seed to seed will answer my Cross Pollination question. I want to grow Waltham Butternuts and Delicata Squash.. Wondering if the cross? If not I can save the seeds..

Carriebelle

Hi there…thanks for everyone’s help, I would love to have a nice bowl of berries right now! Folks need to get used to not having things unless it’s the season for them, or they can be canned, as in the past. I’ve become so used to freezing, but what happens if we lose power for a long time? I don’t want to be a wet blanket, but sometimes I need to think like that. 🙁

hey Carriebell,
    That is what was the meat of the book I read. Animal Vegetable Miracle.. Local eating, seasonal eating. One of the goals I set for myself was to do this in 2010..

ponymama44

CityH – I LOVE the catalogs too – I swear I read adn dream over them every winter , gives me hope for spring. I have not been a good seed saver yet but I think this year that will change. Thanks for the heads up on all the heirloom catalogs too – I will order some for myself. (yipee, more winter night reading!)

mmpaints
    Participant

Hey carrie, oh we do think about it, all the time. I am constantly trying to convince people thst they need to reduce their dependency on their freezers. I am guilty of using a freezer myself tho so I can’t be getting self righteous over it. A couple 135 watt soalr panels would cover a fridge and freezer. They cost a bit but it’s a possibility.

Carriebelle

mmpaints, I’m glad to know it’s just not me. I haven’t looked into the solar panels yet. I guess it’s because we have such cloudy weather so much of the time. I’m between Seattle and Tacoma, and it’s so gray outside right now that if I see a Townsend Wren I’m ecstatic to see the yellow. And these days, doesn’t everything cost a bit? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum